Cullman, Alabama?

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

Cullman, Alabama?

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2005, 6:33 am

I realize Cullman, Alabama, where I live, is probably not a magical hot spot. But are there any magicians within a 100-mile radius or so that meet anywhere on a regular basis? I'd love to find some more magicians to hang out with. The only two I know at all are Jack Baldwin who is also a preacher in Jasper and Dr. Boshell the chiropractor, also in Jasper. I don't get to meet with them very much. Anybody else around here, give me a holler!

Tabman

Re: Cullman, Alabama?

Postby Tabman » March 3rd, 2005, 8:01 pm

Matt, I'm not sure exactly where Cullman is but there's active magic clubs in Huntsville and Birmingham that meet monthly. You can find the local IBM clubs by going to the International Brotherhood of Magicians site. The information is there. The guys from Huntsville and Birmingham that I know are great people.

I'm a member of a small magic club that meets in the Huntsville area occasionally too (non affiliated). One of our members comes up from the Montgomery area from Selma.

-=tabman

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 4th, 2005, 8:35 pm

Matt -- the Huntsville ring meets normally on the first Thursday of the month. This month, because of the convention in Gatlinburg, we're meeting the second Thursday (next month). Email me offline for directions.

Forum member Russell Davis is a regular, and Don Spurrier shows up every now and then. Maybe someday we can get Tabby to a meeting <G>

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2005, 9:36 pm

And I live in Pulaski, TN, not that far from you at all. I have been to lectures at the Huntsville Ring, and found the local members to be generally friendly and cordial. Russell Davis and Bill Mullins have both corresponded on email with me about magical subjects, and the conversations have been fun.

Tabby lives about 100 miles north of you in central TN. Although he and I have never met, we enjoy a nice email friendship, and often discuss things on and off the forum.

I like to make new email friends. Feel free to email me about AL, TN, magic, whatever. If you are into music as either a listener or as a musician, we can talk about that too; I am a musician and music teacher in my day job.

Jon Hand

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2005, 10:00 pm

Hey, Tabby!

Tell me more about the Huntsville non-affliated group. Email is ok. How often do you meet with them, etc. Did this grow out of the night you scheduled at the end of last year?

Regards,

Jon

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2005, 4:32 am

Oh, wow! Russell Davis - he did my cousin Will's eighth birthday party. I was very impressed with his show and told him afterward that I was into coin magic (although this was actually during the time I had "gotten out of" magic for a couple of years), and he showed me lots of coin tricks on the living room floor that were more amazing than anything he did in the show. My friend Jack Baldwin knows him. I think he has been to the meetings in Birmingham. It would definitely be easier for me to get to the one in Huntsville, though. It all depends on my work schedule, but if I can do it, I certainly will.

Jon A. Hand, didn't you write a guide for beginning magicians for Michael Ammar's web site?

Tabman

Postby Tabman » March 5th, 2005, 7:49 am

Originally posted by Jon A. Hand:
Did this grow out of the night you scheduled at the end of last year?
Yes, the PMZZ (Professional Magicians Sawing Logs). We are all builders or makers of magic. The world's smallest and most exclusive magic club. We've been getting together once a month. I drive right by your place on the way down. Founding members are Rick Ruhl, Michael Baker, Bob Sanders, Pete Biro, and yours truly. We've been meeting in the Kings Room at the Ole Heidelberg Restaurant in Huntsville but I think we're moving our next meeting to another spot. Rick Ruhl is in charge of location. Rick has a website started at http://pmzz.org but I think it has a few pictures up only since we have no rules, no philosophy and no living officers.

-=tab

PS: The next meeting is in Birmingham on March 12 I believe. I am booked for a gig that day and won't be around but I think everyone else will be there.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 5th, 2005, 11:16 pm

Originally posted by -=tabman:
The world's smallest and most exclusive magic club.
It can't be too exclusive -- they let me sit in once!

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2005, 7:14 am

If I were going to be stranded on a remote island, these are the folks to be stranded with! They would invent/build their way off in no time!

Don Esposito is quite the builder/craftstman, and he lives in beautiful (but remote) Mentone, AL. He would seem to make a great addition to the club! You might like to invite him, he probably would come down the mountain for that!

--Asrah

Tabman

Postby Tabman » March 6th, 2005, 9:16 am

Originally posted by Bill Mullins: It can't be too exclusive -- they let me sit in once!
Shoot, Bill. We saved you a seat at the last meeting! I wanted to talk to you about the SE Assn of Magi Convention in Huntsville in August.

Hay Asrah, theres some pretty good mountains around Mentone. Which one does Don live on??? He and you are more than welcome to join us anytime. Next time we have a meeting I will post it here on Genii!!!

-=tabman

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » March 6th, 2005, 1:33 pm

Originally posted by Asrah:
If I were going to be stranded on a remote island, these are the folks to be stranded with! They would invent/build their way off in no time!
Hmm a PMZZ meet on a remote island. Works for me.

:)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 6th, 2005, 3:35 pm

I'll be in Thomasville, GA March 14-15, y'all come. :p

How did my lecture go at the PMZZ Meeting? :D
Stay tooned.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » March 6th, 2005, 4:00 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
I'll be in Thomasville, GA March 14-15, y'all come. :p How did my lecture go at the PMZZ Meeting? :D
Your lecture was extremely well received Pete. Thank you for doing it. I got some great comments from Michael Baker after the dinner and said he got some great ideas!!

Interesting but I will be a couple hours away in Columbus GA on the 12 and 13. It would be great to see you. Don't know if I can work it out though.

-=tabman

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2005, 4:11 pm

Let me know the next time the magic club in Huntsville is meeting and I'll see if I can come.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » March 6th, 2005, 5:54 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
I'll be in Thomasville, GA March 14-15, y'all come. :p

You know, you COULD come to Huntsville on the 16th and we could treat you right...

Michael Baker

Postby Michael Baker » March 6th, 2005, 8:13 pm

Wow! Somebody went and rubbed the magic lamp and it looks like we've jumped the Cafe walls and landed somewhere in the land of yellow webpages!

The Magic City Magic Club (Birmingham) meets 1st Tuesday of each month. Next special event is Michael Ammar lecture April 21.

Anyone is welcome to come and sit in on a PMZZ meeting. Go search for us on the Magic Cafe to get an idea of what we are all about. We seem to have a secret following as there are about 9:1 views to posts.

~michael

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 6th, 2005, 9:36 pm

Shoot, Bill. We saved you a seat at the last meeting! I wanted to talk to you about the SE Assn of Magi Convention in Huntsville in August.
Yes, I wanted to come, but got called away to Wash. DC at the last minute for work. Hold my seat for next time . .. .

Russell Davis
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Russell Davis » March 6th, 2005, 9:46 pm

Matt,

Wish I'd seen this thread sooner. I just did a show in Cullman yesterday the 5th. We could've had lunch. I'll call next time I'm in the area. Say "Hi" to Jack Baldwin for me.

Tabman, sorry I just missed meeting you at the PMZZ meeting a little while back in Huntsville. Maybe next time! Apparently you had to get back up to TN, but I saw friend Michael Baker and met Rick Ruhl and his wife.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » March 7th, 2005, 9:43 am

Originally posted by russell davis:
Tabman, sorry I just missed meeting you at the PMZZ meeting a little while back in Huntsville. Maybe next time!
I know it, I'm sorry I missed meeting you that night. They told me you came by later after yalls meeting but I was nervous about driving back home that late and decided to make a run for it. I can't see in the dark like I could when I was a kid!!!

I hope to be able to come to the SEAM convention, maybe then or sooner!!

-=tabman

Tabman

Postby Tabman » March 7th, 2005, 9:45 am

Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Yes, I wanted to come, but got called away to Wash. DC at the last minute for work. Hold my seat for next time . .. .
Will do for sure. Theres a seat with your name on it anytime you can make it. Maybe you can manage to get called back to DC in time for Jamy's Card Clinic in June!!! ;)

-=tabman

Postby Guest » March 7th, 2005, 11:45 am

Tabman - that mountain would be Lookout mountain! I'd love to be able to attend - if you don't mind someone who can only appreicate and buy well crafted items! --Asrah

Tabman

Postby Tabman » March 7th, 2005, 7:03 pm

Originally posted by Asrah: I'd love to be able to attend - if you don't mind someone who can only appreicate and buy well crafted items! --Asrah
Keep an eye on the pmzz site. We put a bbs together last night just for fun and to communicate and not clutter everybody's internet with our rattlings about paint or varnish, rosewood and ebony and winding spring hinges. I think this is the url http://www.pmzz.org/messages/index.php . Take a look if you want and join. It's all in fun.

-=tabman

Tabman

Postby Tabman » March 10th, 2005, 1:27 pm

Originally posted by Asrah: Tabman - that mountain would be Lookout mountain!
I was by Lookout Mountain today. That's a great spot. I didnt have time to stop to look around though, was on the move.

-=tabman

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » March 12th, 2005, 8:29 pm

PMZZ meeting went well. Details and pics of meeting and 'field trip' at http://www.pmzz.org

Tabman

Postby Tabman » March 13th, 2005, 9:19 am

Dang Rick, that looks like yall had fun at the wood store in Birmingham. I wonder how big a cut Michael Baker got for bringing yall over there??? ;) Sorry I missed it this time.
-=tabman

Postby Guest » March 13th, 2005, 9:45 pm

(reply to Russell Davis)

Well, sorry I missed you this time. If you're ever around here again, give me a holler. Or we might meet at one of those conventions in Huntsville. Jack Baldwin is trying to help me get into doing magic in restaurants and such. I've been a magic hobbyist for about ten years - since I was eleven or twelve, and I'm 21 now. He says I'm good enough by now to start getting paid for it . . . a prospect which I find incredible. I'll see if that works out. But even if it doesn't, I'd like to meet other magicians and keep up the magic. My family is sort of tired of watching me.

If you want to drop me an e-mail some time, my address is:

serling307@yahoo.com

I'll tell the Baldwin man you said hi . . . I'll probably meet with him again after Easter. He says he barely has time for anything right now.

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2005, 9:10 pm

Dang Rick, that looks like yall had fun at the wood store in Birmingham. I wonder how big a cut Michael Baker got for bringing yall over there??? ;) Sorry I missed it this time.
-=tabman
Matt, magicians have you surrounded. Enjoy it!

Tabman, I never thought about that. Michael made sure we got there too!

It was a great afternoon with the PMZZ crew. We missed you and you missed the fun. You know that Tennessee is in danger for the next get together?

Check it out Matt!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2005, 9:37 pm

I'd be glad to come to one of those meetings in Huntsville. Just let me know when the next one is. I had no idea I was surrounded by so many magicians . . . and I would love to meet all of you.

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2005, 11:52 pm

Matt,

The PMZZ is meeting in Tennessee for April. (I hope the statute of limitations is up! Otherwise we may have to meet in the woods.)

One of these days we're going to get Tabman moved back to the South in Georgia. Then the Florence crew will be the "far north" to us.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”