Orlando stores ?

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

Orlando stores ?

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2005, 9:22 am

My son and I will be traveling to Orlando,FL the begining of next week for a couple of days. We are wondering what might be the "best" (I know that is a subjective term) place to visit for some stocking up on apparatus, tricks, etc. Since we are only there for two days, We don't have time to visit every store in town, and were wondering if someone "in the know" could point us to a place that is well-stocked with some friendly folks behind the counter.

THANKS !!!!!

Mark Pettey
Naples,FL

Steve Hook

Re: Orlando stores ?

Postby Steve Hook » July 22nd, 2005, 1:01 pm

There is no "world-class" magic shop in Orlando.

Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Raleigh, Charlotte (going a bit up the East Coast) all have good brick and mortar shops. Oddly Orlando does not.

There is even a good little shop over in Melbourne (the one on Wickham, not the one on 192) which has more up-to-date stock than anything in Orlando.

Lots of magicians in Orlando. I guess that shows you the negative effect the Internet has had on brick and mortar shops.

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2005, 4:43 pm

Mark, Steve is correct. Even the 'shops' in Melbourne are VERY limited. Neither stock books and are limited on videos/dvds. I'm not sure about Tampa, but there is a great store in Hollywood, Florida (The Wizards Apprentice). You're looking at approximately a 90 minute drive across Alligator Alley (it's located on Hollywood Blvd and Dixie Hwy in downtown Hollywood). They do not sell via the web (how refreshing). Here's their contact information:Wizard's Apprentice Magic Shop 2051 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, Florida 33020 954-441-7119 Open Tuesday-Saturday, 12-8pm

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2005, 9:00 pm

Thanks Steve and Anthony for your quick replies to my quiries about the O-town stores ! I had heard of the Wizard's Apprentice, but couldn't find any info on the internet, other than an address. It is not far from Naples, so I know I will be over there eventually. I travel around the state during "season" as a professional trumpet player for most of the Broadway shows and concert artists that come through Florida.

I had seen stuff about Magic Max in Orlando online, and also saw the site tonight for Daytonna Magic. It seems like a fairly good sized store from the pix online. Have either of you been to these stores ?

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2005, 9:44 pm

Mark - I haven't been to Magic Max, but I have been to Daytona Magic. They seem to be well stocked and sponsor an annual convention (in November) in addition to doing a pretty good internet/mail order business. Contact me if you get over to the east coast (Vero Bch/Melbourne area)and have any idle time.

Regards,
Anthony

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » July 22nd, 2005, 10:37 pm

Mark:

Daytona Beach is just under an hour from Orlando and, yes, Daytona Magic does have more "current" stock than anything in Orlando. They have a lot of books, too.

Not a bad compromise, plus the drive will take you by the Daytona Speedway, something cool for both you and your son.

And remember that there is a Magic Masters at Downtown Disney / Pleasure Island, a free venue near Disney World. I love stopping in there to see solid routines for standard magic (thanks largely to Dennis Sauers?) The best time to go is evenings and weekends, when they're the busiest. As you probably know, it's not a place to hang out or talk magic with the demonstrators but it is a good place to see some good magicians working the crowd.

Steve

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » July 23rd, 2005, 5:04 am

Mark, if you have time check out Backstage Magic & Novelties at the Main Gate Flea Market. Don't let this scare you off, Backstage is the best magic store in Orlando. Here's a number you can call for info 407-733-5010.

As a side note, three booths down from the magic shop is a japanese shop. The Gentleman that runs this shop does a magic show 5 times a day, and each one different. Don't miss these if you like Japanese style magic.

Jeff Pierce

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » July 23rd, 2005, 9:07 am

Thanks, Jeff. I'll check that out myself! I found this link which says it's in Kissimee and that it's open daily 10 to 10.

Main Gate Flea Market

Steve

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2005, 10:33 am

Jeff, Steve, and Anthony....

Thanks a whole bunch for all the tips on Orlando ! I found out that Magic Max used to be called Olde Town Magic. Sounds like the Magic Max company set up a small factory in Orlando, then went out and bought up about a half dozen Mom and Pop type magic shops around the country. Their prices look competative online, but the website says the prices are not the same in the stores, due to the usual retail issues. My kid is dying to go on the ferris wheel at Olde Town, so I will stop by the store and let y'all know what I see. I will also make the trip to Backstage Magic, since it is near the place we are staying. Not sure if I will have time to get to Daytona on this trip, but I know I will be there during "season".

Thanks again, you guys have been extremely helpful !

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » July 23rd, 2005, 11:21 am

Wasn't too impressed with them but your mileage may vary.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2005, 9:22 pm

Mark - if you're going to be in Orlando during the week, check out the Disney Boardwalk on Tuesday & Thursday evenings. Starting at 7pm there are one or two 'street magicians' performing on the Boardwalk until 10pm. Erick Olson is one who also performs at Wonderworks every Monday evening (International Drive). It's good family fun and its free!

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2005, 7:58 am

Well, we are loading up the car for the trip up to O town. Once again, I wish to thank all you guys who gave us such great info about where to go and what to do during our brief stay. It is really amazing that I have only been on the list for a few days, yet I picked up enough info to make a two day vacation a real treat.
:D THANKS !!!!

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”