MacMillan Convention London?

Flying around the world for the perfect magic convention? Save some dough and share your room.
Jacky Kahan

MacMillan Convention London?

Postby Jacky Kahan » November 20th, 2004, 2:33 pm

Hi,

who is going to the MacMillan Convention in London?

Cheers
Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Re: MacMillan Convention London?

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2004, 12:16 pm

Just returned from The International Convention in London - The new venue was suberb - I hope they make this the convention home. Vito lupo's lecture was inspirational - recommended if you get the chance. The only let down was the dealers fair which was the poorest ive seen. I am usually prime sales bait at a convention but didnt purchase a thing - I guess the net is prevailing !

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 29th, 2004, 2:33 pm

Originally posted by adultmagic:
Just returned from The International Convention in London - The new venue was suberb - I hope they make this the convention home. Vito lupo's lecture was inspirational - recommended if you get the chance. The only let down was the dealers fair which was the poorest ive seen. I am usually prime sales bait at a convention but didnt purchase a thing - I guess the net is prevailing !
The venue was great, wasn't it? Good size bar, lots of little tables and a theatre IN THE HOTEL!

Perfect.

The dealers' area was poor. Although I bought the Dave Campbell book.

Most importantly, did you see Mickey 'far too good' Silver?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 29th, 2004, 2:51 pm

How about a review of the close up winners and Mickey, who won something... "Award of Merit" ??
Stay tooned.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 30th, 2004, 3:19 am

Yes, Mickey Silver, from Boston, won one of three Awards of Merit. The other Merit winners were Adam Keisner from the UK and Hyashi from Germany.

First prize in the contest was won by the extraordinary Ferenc Galambos from Hungary. Second prize was Kevin Gallagher from the UK, and third was Marc Oberon, also from the UK.

It was my first MacMillan convention and I had a ball. Lectures by David Willaimson, Flip, Piet Fortin, Vito Lupo and Ray Grismer. Mr. Grismer was suffering from jet-lag or something and could not complete his lecture, so John Lenahan stepped in and taught a McDonald's Aces routine.

Close-up sessions (from a stage with excellent TV projection) by Piet Forton, Flip, Lennart Green, Mickey Silver and David Willaimson. Lennart Green was, as always, phenominal and Williamson did some really excellent sleight of hand work from his new DVD "Magic Farm." Since I'm no longer the Genii video reviewer I can tell you here that I think the video is first rate. John Derris introduced the acts here and in the contests.

The gala show, repeated on three evenings,, featured Mirko (Argentina), Evgeniy and VAssily (Russia), Leo Ward (New Zealand), David Williamson (Mars), Magic Wave (a duo from the Netherlands), Ailona (a hula-hoop act from Russia), John Lenahan (U.S., nmow living in London), Vito Lupo (U.S.), and Nina & Nikolai (quick-change act from Russia). Noel Britten was the excellent and funny compere (that's emcee for those in the States).

The Shaw Theatre, located in the new Novotel Hotel right across from the British Library, was excellent. The bar service was so-so (did you ever know a bar to run out of Scotch?), the dealer room disappointed (as others have stated). Jerry Sadowitz did have two new issues of the Crimp on sale, but not to me (damn my soul) and a new little book as well.

I had the chance to chat for a while with Alex Elmsley, who was in the attendance, as well as Obie O'Brien, Anthony Brahams, Bobby Bernard, Bob Read, Ron Macmillan, Elizabeth Warlock and others. Mickey Silver, whose coin work is first-rate, had a free DVD for everone he came into contact with.

I think everyone enjoyed himself, I know I did. Things seemed to stop a bit early each evening judging by U.S. convention standards, and there were no concurrent sessions, but I actually like both of these things, the more so the older I get.

Friendly, helpful staff members were available throughout, few lines (queues) anywhere -- as I said, a real treat for this nouveau Londoner.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2004, 6:19 am

It was good to meet you Matthew...i was the kid who spoke to you about Marlo whist queueing for the dealers fair.
I thought the convention was excellent, and it was great to see some performers that i had heard so much about...before the convention i had never seen Lennart Green or David Williamson, live or on video!
It was also great to meet Mickey Silver again, it is a long time since the Magic Live convention, but he remembered me like it was yesterday...great guy!
A really excellent convention, as always.
Owen

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 30th, 2004, 6:52 am

It was good to meet you as well, Owen.

Matt Field

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » January 28th, 2005, 4:05 am

Sad to note that Ron pased away 2 days ago, aged 72.

May he rest in peace...
Dale

Postby Guest » February 3rd, 2005, 10:48 am

It is a great shame. Although i never had the chance to speak to Ron, he was at all the conventions i attended in London, always sitting at the registration desk welcoming people. It was clear that he was passionate about his magic, and i will always remember him for this.
It will be a great shame to see his seat empty at forthcoming conventions.
Owen

Return to “Convention Room Mate Finder”