the art of modern conjuring

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.

the art of modern conjuring

Postby Guest » March 15th, 2005, 9:59 am

i have a 1910 edition of the art of modern conjuring can anyone tell me its worth i can only find one other the same publish date the location of the other book is Whitchurch-Stouffville Public Library
30 Burkholder Street, Stouffville, Ontario L4A 4K1 905-642-READ (7323) it is part of a rare magic books and magizine section not open to the public and you have to be a member of the magic circle to gain entry

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: the art of modern conjuring

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 15th, 2005, 1:28 pm

It does not have great value, and was recently reprinted in the United States by a publisher hoping to cash in on the Harry Potter interest in magic that never really materialized.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2005, 3:27 pm

what if ther was only two known to exist one not for sale verified by publisher 1910 edition

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2005, 8:57 pm

When dealing with such a rare and valuable book, the first impulse would be to offer it up on Ebay where it could pay for your child's college tuition. Or if you don't have kids, you could invest in two decks of Jerry's Nuggets and a signed copy of Cards As Weapons. But that just leads you back into the investment route. Offer to trade it to David Copperfield in return for Chris Kenner's hands and a skill Brazilian surgeon to attach them.

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2005, 10:31 am

what price would you sell it at. and david wont answer my calls.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 23rd, 2005, 11:19 am

Morbeus, would you PLEASE learn how to properly punctuate your writing. Use capital letters, commas, and apostrophes like everyone else. It will make your posts easier to read.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2005, 11:42 am

there are several copies floating around and it is not by any means a very rare book.

The covers are wonderful, however.

Copperfield has 4 variants (different color bindings) of this title in his collection.

Retail value of the book in near MINT condition about $150 to $175.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 23rd, 2005, 12:55 pm

Use capital letters, commas, and apostrophes like everyone else.
Well, please don't use apostrophes like everyone else, because too many people think they belong inside the possessive pronoun "its" or they use them to make plurals of ordinary nouns. These guys are idiot's. ( Just use them where they properly belong.)

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 23rd, 2005, 12:58 pm

I believe there is some confusion about the book Morbeus has. Richard and Mario are most likely refering to Henri Garenne's 1885 ART OF MODERN CONJURING, whereas Morbeus most likely has the much less desireable (from a collector's point of view) anonymously authored book of the same title, since he mentions a publication date of 1910. The two are easy to confuse because they share not only the same title, but in some editions the same publisher (Ward, Lock & Co.), but they are totally different books. Canick's price guide lists the Garenne between $40 and $95 depending on condition and the 1910 book between $20 and $45. Canick's book came out in 1997, so prices might be higher now. The 1910 book was also issued under the title THE BOY'S BOOK OF CONJURING. It also has an interesting cover, but not nearly as nice as the Garenne! We have a copy of the anonymous book in stock currently for just $20 in decent shape. We'd certainly ask more for the Garenne in almost any condition.

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2005, 10:31 am

this book is not called the boys book of modern conjuring.i have also been in touch with the publisher. who as since changed ther name to castle.they them selves have no record in ther archives of this book being published.the only other that as a identical copy is whitechurch library in canada. it is kept under lock and key in the art latcham collection of rare magic books and magazines.you may only look at this book with a appiontment only.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 25th, 2005, 5:28 pm

Originally posted by morbeus:
this book is not called the boys book of modern conjuring.
It was not called that in the edition you have, but in later printings, possibly different publishers. Same cover, same contents. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm betting that the 1910 book you have shows a hand holding a fan of cards on the cover and has several photographic plates inside. The copy we have (undated) listed for just $20 on our website has 222 pages, as do the copies of BOYS BOOK OF CONJURING that we have (which are from a later date). If yours has a different cover or page count, I'd be interested in the details. I don't believe the more desirable 1885 book by Garenne of the same title was in print as late as 1910.

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2005, 1:07 pm

Originally posted by Richard Hatch:
[b] this book is not called the boys book of modern conjuring.
It was not called that in the edition you have, but in later printings, possibly different publishers. Same cover, same contents. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm betting that the 1910 book you have shows a hand holding a fan of cards on the cover and has several photographic plates inside. The copy we have (undated) listed for just $20 on our website has 222 pages, as do the copies of BOYS BOOK OF CONJURING that we have (which are from a later date). If yours has a different cover or page count, I'd be interested in the details. I don't believe the more desirable 1885 book by Garenne of the same title was in print as late as 1910. [/b]

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2005, 1:10 pm

im sure you know what you are on about.but why don,t you verify this book with its twin.at Whitchurch-Stouffville Public Library
30 Burkholder Street, Stouffville, Ontario L4A 4K1 905-642-READ (7323) i am sure they would also be intrested in tour vew,s.

Postby Guest » May 4th, 2005, 10:54 am

As anyone botherd to check this book with it,s twin or or are we still going on asumption.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » May 4th, 2005, 11:29 am

Morbeus, I thought you had a copy of this book. Why not just let us know the bibliographic details of your copy: publisher, page count, number of photographic plates, etc. Does the cover show the fan of cards I mentioned? If so, it is neither rare, scarce, nor particularly valuable. The collection at the Canadian library was apparently donated by a magician with the stipulation that only magicians have access to them. That does not make the books in that collection rare or valuable, though in fact the collection does apparently include some such titles, such as a first edition copy of Erdnase's EXPERT AT THE CARD TABLE.

Postby Guest » May 11th, 2005, 10:05 am

are you telling me you have a 1910 edition or had a 1910 edition. if you have i would be more intrested about that book. as that is the book i am asking about not a 1909 not the boys book of conjuring and no it is not in michel carnick,s price guide. for magic books as i asked before as anyone got a 1910 edition of this book not any other year not any other title.and the art latcham collection in canada wher not left by a magician. it was left by art latcham and the only materiel locked away is the book not the other book,s or magazines.and not any magacian may look only select few.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 11th, 2005, 11:19 am

Morbeus,

You keep answering Richards questions with more questions and, frankly, its driving me crazy! (Even crazier than does your insistence on writing in all lower case in your posts.) Richard Hatch is trying to help you by providing you with his professional services at no cost so if you want his help, please stop asking him about the book he has and please answer his questions regarding the book you have:

Does the book in your possession have a hand holding a fan of cards on the cover? If the answer is no, can you please describe the cover?

Does the book in your possession have many photographic plates?

How many pages does the book in your possession have?

Thank you,
Dustin

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2005, 5:10 am

Ya know..I think this stinks like a troll...

And it kinda cheeses me off because the guys who are involved in attempting to answer the questions are doing so with the best of intentions. Shame on you!

I just hope when someone has a legitimate question, these nice guys will still be willing to help out.

Rosie

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » May 12th, 2005, 5:46 am

...and no it is not in michel carnick,s price guide. for magic books...
On page 17 of Michael Canick's PRICE GUIDE TO MAGIC BOOKS 1639-1990 is the following entry:
Anonymous ART OF MODERN CONJURING, c 1910, Reilly Low price of $20 High price of $45.
If your copy has a different publisher, cover design, page count or number of photographic plates (the undated 3 copies we have in stock at $20 and $25 each all have 31 plates, nearly 200 photos) that might differentiate it from the known copies cited previously. But whether that would add anything to the value depends on the details.

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2005, 11:44 am

sorry for not replying been away.Didn,t mean to sound ungratefull but no one has siad yes.I have or i can tell you wher.You can find a 1910 edition not circa1910 but 1910.It stands to reason 1909 would be 1910 circa as it would still be in print in 1909.So yet agian i did not mean to upset anyone and i am sure by now one of you would have spoken to someone in the library i told you about to verify this book

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » June 29th, 2005, 8:13 pm

There are three copies (various editions) offered as a lot in the upcoming Random Treasures auction. While possibly not the exact same edition you have, I don't know anyone collecting variants, so don't expect any but the first editions to have any particular value, and this auction should give a good measure of that. Here's a link: Art of Conjuring Auction

magicam

Postby magicam » June 29th, 2005, 11:09 pm

morbeus wrote:

i have a 1910 edition of the art of modern conjuring can anyone tell me its worth
morbeus: if you are for real and not yanking our chains, then Richard Hatch has spent an inordinate amount of time trying to help you. I guess hes an eternal optimist (like me) and likes to help folks out even if they dont seem to be getting the picture on the first pass. Richards a bonafide book dealer and knows his stuff. Hes done all he can. The truth is that many common as dirt magic books are put in rare book rooms of libraries because a lot of lay people rarely see old magic books; so they think these books are rare, when in fact they are not. Ill answer your question more directly and absolutely: In any condition, your book is worth no more than $40 and is probably worth only $25. But lets make sure of it: send your book to Richard by overnight carrier, insured for $5,000. He can appraise it for you. Ill pay him $100 to appraise it and will pay you for the cost of sending and insuring the book, okay? You have my word on it. Now that is a deal that cant be beat. That way you wont have to waste your time asking more questions. Were here to help!

Now you have your answer and a sure-fire way to confirm at absolutely no cost to you! If you continue to ask questions without answering questions from folks trying to help you, then I can only conclude that you are doing an experiment on the limits of patience of the good folks on this forum. Best of luck in selling your book. By all means, please let us know what you sell it for and/or what Richards appraisal amount is.

Kind Regards,

Clay Shevlin
MEMINISSE MAGICAM

Postby Guest » June 30th, 2005, 4:58 pm

Dear Morbeous,

Perhaps the following information will help you. Both of the titles listed below are from my own collection. One copy is an Australian edition and the other is a London edition. The London edition has a fan of cards on the cover as discussed by Richard Hatch. As many other collectors have pointed out to you neither of these editions are rare. Perhaps harder to find than a Tarbell set but certainly not as rare as a Dean's Whole Art of Legerdemain. Good Luck!

ART OF MODERN CONJURING. Pictorial cl. 222pgs. plus advert. Frontis., and other illus. London: Ward, Lock & Co. Ltd., (n.d.). c.1909.

ART OF MODERN CONJURING. Pictorial cl. 222pgs. plus advert. Frontis., and other illus. Australia: E.W. Cole., (n.d.). c.1909.

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2005, 4:48 am

Yet agian i appologise for not showing more gratitude. But i am very gratefull for all your help and i dont mean to go on but how can you appriase a book what the publisher as no record of publishing. and upto now no one else as siad yes i have or had thet very same edition

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » July 5th, 2005, 6:26 am

That is the joy of collecting. Maybe you have uncovered an as of yet unknown edition of this book - a unique item. The value is as much or as little as you want to give it. If you want to sell it, then of course you will need to find someone who shares your assessment of value.

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » July 5th, 2005, 7:07 am

I just noted that the complete file of The New Yorker magazine will be available this fall for $100. Over 4000 issues! I'll finally be able to look up that E.J. Kahn article on Dunninger.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » July 5th, 2005, 7:16 am

I'm excited about that digital collection as well. I believe there have also been New Yorker profiles of John Mullholland, Penn and Teller, Ricky Jay and David Kaye and reviews of shows by many performers. Should be a great resource at a great price (expected to be widely discounted online). I wonder if the cartoon images will be searchable? There should be a few with magic themes over the years...

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » July 5th, 2005, 7:29 am

All the cartoons became available last Christmas included with a huge book of cartoons. I don't recall the ability to search by theme. I did search on artists, such as Charles Addams. Despite this incredible resource for research purposes, I still loathe -- beyond words that would be allowed on the Genii forum -- the .pdf format. It nauseates me to look at it, literally, and so I rarely do. Perhaps it's not the format itself, but the reader that needs to be dramatically improved. One of these days ...

Postby Guest » July 9th, 2005, 7:06 am

if anyone has the 1910 edition of the art of modern conjuring. i will buy it seeing that it is so easy to get hold of. please let me know if anyone has it for sale.

Postby Guest » July 9th, 2005, 7:12 am

if anyone has the 1910 edition of the art of modern conjuring. i will buy it seeing that it is so easy to get hold of. please let me know if anyone has it for sale.

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2005, 7:17 am

shall i take it that no one has a 1910 edition for sale then.if ther is anyone who can tell me more on this book please let me know.but i am guesing only a expert on the art,s Can realy tell me anything

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2005, 10:54 am

ok can anyone tell me anything on p bathy.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2005, 11:29 am

Ricky Jay wrote a lovely obituary for his dear friend T.A. Waters that also appeared in The New Yorker. Thanks for the heads up Steve!

Dustin

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2005, 9:31 am

If no one can tell me anything could you pleas say so and i will bother you no more.But it realy is a most intresting book to look at.

pduffie

Postby pduffie » July 25th, 2005, 10:18 am

Morbeus,

"If no one can tell me anything could you pleas say so... "
If no one can tell you anything, what are they supposed to say?

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2005, 10:26 am

Morbeus,

No one can tell you anything more - goodbye!

Best, PSC

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 25th, 2005, 10:38 am

shall i take it that no one has a 1910 edition for sale then.if ther is anyone who can tell me more on this book please let me know.but i am guesing only a expert on the art,s Can realy tell me anything
Richard Hatch and Clay are experts. They told you. The end.

This thread is hilarious.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 25th, 2005, 11:47 am

Very good to know Richard and Clay are around and willing to help. A digital camera image might serve to get questions answered.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Other Magic Publications”