John Carney's "Book of Secrets"

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.

John Carney's "Book of Secrets"

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2003, 10:57 am

Just heard from John that he may consider reprinting this book if he gets enough interest. If you've tried to track down a copy of this wonderful work in the past, now's your chance!

He's taking names of folks that are interested at his website http://www.carneymagic.com

(fyi,this post isn't a commercial adv. I'm just a fellow magician hoping to get hold of this wonderful book!)

Re: John Carney's "Book of Secrets"

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2003, 6:52 pm

Scott,

Speaking only for myself -it's worth every minute you spend pursuing it. Hyperbole is so commonplace these days that it is ineffective at best.

That said let me just say...

This book is excellent in ways that I am unable to put into words.

It will make you feel the way you did when you first started in magic.

That's worth the price of admission right there isn't it?

Pete

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2003, 7:41 pm

I just went to the Carney lecture in Balt.MD and he had some copies left,That he sat aside just for lectures,

BTW if you can't find the book, get his 3 new DVDs next best thing to the book, and most of the routines from the book are on the DVDs.

Best
Joe

Postby Guest » November 3rd, 2003, 9:20 am

Joe, picked up mine at his lecture in NJ. Terrific lecture. - Scott

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2004, 8:58 am

Both of Carney's books are worth the money they are sold for...And probably worth the ebay prices as well.
There is such a variety of material in both these books that there is bound to be something of use.
Owen

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2004, 10:08 am

John Carney is 'magic with dignity'. A real pleasure to watch. One of my all-time top performers.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2004, 3:16 pm

Carneycopia has been the most influential book on my shelf. It is also out of print.

I saw John last week and he told me that Falanga has the copyright and is waiting for more interest before he re-prints it.

So let him L&L know you want a copy if you don't already have one.

Maybe it will help.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2004, 8:05 pm

There are literally only a handful of magicians I could write this about:
I have never seen John Carney perform anything that I didn't consider worth watching. I have never read anything he's written that I didn't consider worth re-reading.

I was lucky enough to have lunch with him after a lecture during the roll out tour for The Book Of Secrets and I got the chance to tell him something that I'll tell you now: His handling of the Card In Balloon is one of the few perfect card tricks ever created. It's the reason I learned the Diagonal Palm Shift.

Can you imagine a card trick which is so good that you'd spend a year perfecting ONE MOVE so that you could do it?

The Book Of Secrets is filled with very good to excellent tricks. I doubt that I'll ever do any of them. I have my own material now.

But I read the book and again, I will read it. It is one of the great books for magicians who aspire to something more...

It will make you feel proud to call yourself a magician. It will make you feel young.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2004, 9:54 pm

Don't forget that TBoS was a Book of the Month not long ago:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/noncgi/u ... 7;t=000010

Check it out!
Dustin

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2004, 11:33 pm

Originally posted by Bill Duncan:
There are literally only a handful of magicians I could write this about:
I have never seen John Carney perform anything that I didn't consider worth watching. I have never read anything he's written that I didn't consider worth re-reading.

Well said, Bill.

I feel the same way about his handling of Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins effect. Where most magicians these days look for ways to modernize the vanishes, using holdouts, shells, magnets, et al, I learned to study misdirection, the gaze, timing, body language, etc.

I put the many lessons I learned from that one effect into everything I do.

Everything.

And that has made all the difference.

Return to “Other Magic Publications”