ANTINOMY: Announcing a new magic magazine

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
Gene Taylor

ANTINOMY: Announcing a new magic magazine

Postby Gene Taylor » December 7th, 2004, 7:12 pm

For those of you who haven't seen the ads in Genii and MAGIC, I wanted to inform you about a new magic magazine.

ANTINOMY is a quarterly publication scheduled to debut in February of 2005. Each issue will feature from 36 to 40 pages of new magic. ANTINOMY is an over-sized publication with each page measuring 11” X 11” so it will lay open easier when digesting its contents. Each subscription to ANTINOMY will include a year-end bonus CD-ROM including electronic versions of the year's four issues along with bonus material not previously published.

ANTINOMY will feature the work of two of the most well known writers in magic: Jamy Ian Swiss and Jon Racherbaumer. Jon will be delivering a column devoted to Card Magic entitled “The Artful Ledger.” His column for Issue #1 will feature work on pumping and elimination in relation to the “Think of a Card” effect. The column features tricks by Jon, Marlo, and Bob Farmer. Jamy's column is entitled “The Honest Liar” and will explore his various views of magic and magicians.

More about Issue #1 can be found here: www.antinomymagic.com/upcoming.htm . The first issue is in the early stages of being put together in order to meet the goal of distributing it by the middle of February 2005. Once the contents of the first issue have been finalized, more information regarding issue #1 will be posted on the ANTINOMY web site.

There is still time to take advantage of a special offer when subscribing to ANTINOMY.
If you subscribe by midnight on December 31st, 2004, you can get the four issues of ANTINOMY, plus the bonus CD-ROM, for the price of $60. Subscribers who sign-up for this offer will also be enrolled in “The Pioneer's Club,” ensuring that they will always receive 10% off the price of any ANTINOMY product, including any future subscription renewals. Each issue of ANTINOMY will have a cover price of $20. The projected annual subscription rate will be $72.

For information on subscribing to ANTINOMY, go here: www.antinomymagic.com/subscribe.htm

ANTINOMY is also soliciting quality magic for upcoming issues. If you're interested in contributing, go here for details: www.antinomymagic.com/submissions.htm

I thank your for your time and welcome any questions either here or through email at editor@antinomymagic.com

Sincerely,

Gene Taylor
Editor & Publisher
ANTINOMY

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: ANTINOMY: Announcing a new magic magazine

Postby NCMarsh » December 10th, 2004, 8:43 am

Looks intriguing...I love the title (Kant fan?)

best,
N.
IllusionArtistry.com

Gene Taylor

Postby Gene Taylor » December 10th, 2004, 9:04 am

Few would know about the Kant connection. Unless you use Google, of course!

And I think it will be interesting...

Gene Taylor

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » December 11th, 2004, 9:12 pm

The Critique of Pure Reason has had a tremendous impact on my thinking...it is one of, to my mind, the four greatest products of the western mind (alongside Plato's Politiea, Newton's Principia, and Lobachevski's Theory of Parallels...

if the magazine even begins to live up to the heritage of its name, it will be something very special. (haven't seen a copy yet, but from reading what you've written -- and from the participation of Swiss and Racherbaumer -- I think your chances are better than those of a large number of publications)

best of luck,
N.
IllusionArtistry.com

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 11th, 2004, 9:40 pm

Originally posted by Nathan Coe Marsh:
Looks intriguing...I love the title (Kant fan?)
I believe that Spider Robinson had a story with this name.

Gene Taylor

Postby Gene Taylor » December 12th, 2004, 8:28 am

Nathan,
You're setting a pretty high standard. But Issue #1 is shaping up nicely, so hopefully you won't be disappointed. I latched onto ANTINOMY because of the inherent contradictions in Magic. There are many, but the most basic one is that what is perceived is not actually what transpires.

Bill,
I wasn't aware of the Spider Robinson story. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for your interest.

Gene Taylor

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » December 12th, 2004, 3:25 pm

I latched onto ANTINOMY because of the inherent contradictions in Magic. There are many, but the most basic one is that what is perceived is not actually what transpires.
Perhaps the most interesting, for me, is the wonderful tension between "I know its real/it can't be real" that great magic causes (I'm fond of Mike Close's definition of magic).

best,
N.
IllusionArtistry.com

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » December 13th, 2004, 3:42 pm

Signed up the minute I read about it - I can't wait.
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Gene Taylor

Postby Gene Taylor » December 28th, 2004, 9:14 am

There's still time to subscribe to Antinomy at the pre-publication price of $60. Subscribe by the end of the year and you'll always receive 10% off any future Antinomy purchases, including subscription renewals.

The Issue #1 lineup
1. The Artful Ledger from Jon Racherbaumer. An exploration of the “Think of a Card” effect discussing aspects of pumping and elimination. Four tricks illustrate the principles involved, including:
o The Spectator Seems to Really Think of a Card – Jon Racherbaumer
o A Card that Lies, a Deck that Tells the Truth – Bob Farmer
o Unambiguous Discernment – Ed Marlo
o Fish-fry for Two – Tom Baxter
2. Only Three Away from Nathan Kranzo
3. Cushion Shot from Max Maven
4. Three Change from Rick Merrill
5. The Clear Exchange from The Antinomy Vault (that's me!)
6. The Honest Liar from Jamy Ian Swiss. A lengthy discourse on the topic of, well, stay tuned…
7. One or two more tricks that I'm still deciding on.

It's looking like 44 or 48 pages of magical bliss. For more info, go to www.antinomymagic.com

Thanks,

Gene Taylor

Return to “Other Magic Publications”