Penumbra Summer Extra

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
Richard Hatch

Penumbra Summer Extra

Postby Richard Hatch » September 1st, 2004, 3:30 pm

Has anyone received this issue of Penumbra? I understand it has contributions by David Ben, Phil Goldstein, Allan Slaight, Willis Kenney and some Charles Miller/Dai Vernon correspondence...

Re: Penumbra Summer Extra

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2004, 3:38 pm

Not seen that yet Richard. I'm still enjoying Bill Goodwin's four queens routine.

Do enlighten us further please.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » September 2nd, 2004, 8:22 am

I have seen a copy of the Summer Extra. The article by Allan Slaight is astonishing.

M. Close

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2004, 10:07 am

I know someone who was at the 31 faces north event. She said that Slaight read the article himself to the room, revealing the real story behind Stewart James.

She also said he was so upset by the reaction of the room that he was not seen again after the first morning.

Is this true?

Tabman

Postby Tabman » September 2nd, 2004, 10:15 am

Originally posted by New Guy:
... the real story behind Stewart James.
whats this Penumbra??? and what is the real story behind stewart james???

-=tabman

David Ben

Postby David Ben » September 2nd, 2004, 11:00 am

I can assure you, as one of the organizers of 31 Faces North, that Mr. Slaight was thrilled with the real story of Stewart James and that his brief absence from part of the convention - he was certainly there more than your informant - had nothing to with the S.J. material.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » September 2nd, 2004, 12:06 pm

I attended 31FN and unlike Mr. Ben, Mr. Close, Mr. Slaight and Mr. Lewis, I know what went on.

First, it wasn't a Penumbra Summer Extra, it was an "Epopticane" issue the article appeared in. The article wasn't about Stewart James, it was about one of his students (whose name I forget, but I think it was Bob Michaels).

Allan Slaight did not read the article, and, he wasn't upset. He's the publisher of "Epoticane" -- why would he be upset?

The article was read aloud by Mike Close because a lot of the attendees are blind and could only appreciate the thing if they heard it. They liked it alot and the only problem occurred later when we all tried to leave the room at the same time and got jammed up with the blind guys in the doorway.

I gave a lecture on the history of lectures on mentalism that a lot of people complimented me on, though I have to admit I stole most of it from an unpublished Max Maven essay.

The highlight of the convention for me was meeting Stewart James Jr. and seeing him perform some of his father's effects.

Yves Tourigny

Postby Yves Tourigny » September 2nd, 2004, 12:14 pm

I have received The Summer Extra two days ago. It was a nice surprise. I thought i was the only one that would received it. I can see that it is not the case. :-)
The issue is very interesting and quite hilarious some of the time. It is at the very least very different.

I am not Mark Lewis.

:-), :-)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 7th, 2004, 12:36 pm

I'm confused. Is there a summer extra for PEnumbra? Have not received it yet. Sad.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2004, 1:39 pm

I received my Summer Extra the other day. And to think, I thought my subscription ran out last month! It's a particularly good issue, though; I think I read the whole thing!

Jake

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » September 7th, 2004, 1:54 pm

Hmm. I hope I get my summer extra -- I love reading Penumbra...

JMT

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » September 7th, 2004, 8:50 pm

So, what is the real story of Stewart James that is referred to? An article, a movie-what? Is this what is in the Penumbra summer extra?

www.ryanmatney.com
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » September 14th, 2004, 10:33 am

Anyone in the UK/Europe received this issue yet ?

Still waiting for mine!

Cheers,

Jamie.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » September 14th, 2004, 2:23 pm

How about anyone in general? Haven't received it yet here in Illinois either.

Frank Yuen

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 14th, 2004, 2:27 pm

I received the Summer Extra of Penumbra and it's just great.

Regarding Counselor Farmer's report from FFFF, I have one of the few Braille copies of the Slaight piece, which was used as lecture notes for the visually impaired audience, specially punched for me by Mike Close.

Matt Field
(Leaving the U.S. on 9/27)

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » September 14th, 2004, 5:49 pm

Due to copyright restrictions, the Summer Extra is only available in Canada.

Matt Field was only kidding about the braille version, however, the Esperanto version IS still available, "Ne provizu al vi trezorojn sur la tero ...."

I predict the Penumbra Summer Extra will become one of the most valuable and important publications in the history of magic, so better get one before they are all gone.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » September 14th, 2004, 7:27 pm

Having also attended 31 faces north, I am saddened to comment that although I was there during the reading of the article I had fallen asleep right at the beginning. Even though Jay Marshall tried over and over to awaken me it was to no avail.

I did however hear it was insightful and yet troubling.

I have recieved the summer issue but have not gotten around to reading it. I'm still stuck on one of the phases of the Blammo Monti Monster
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 14th, 2004, 7:57 pm

Glenn, you and the family OK?
Stay tooned.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » September 14th, 2004, 10:07 pm

Pete,

Charlie missed us, Francis did some minor damage, power out etc...Ivan missed us as well...so, so far so good. All is well. Thanks for asking Pete.

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » September 16th, 2004, 11:47 am

... so this is a hoax ?!

Jamie.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » September 26th, 2004, 2:02 pm

H & R finally tracked down a spare copy of this elusive issue and we have posted it on eBay with an extensive write-up of the contents. I'll put a link to it in the Marketplace section of the forum.

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2004, 2:29 pm

Here's the information I received from Bill Goodwin. I hope he doesn't mind if I post it here.

Please forgive the impersonal nature of the following form letter, but we have received many emails about the recent Summer Extra issue of The Penumbra and we felt this would be the easiest way to respond to everybody.

At the recent 31 Faces North conference in Toronto event organizer David Ben, along with his partner in crime Gabe Fajuri, put together a fake issue of The Penumbra, copies of which were presented as gifts to the attendees. Needless to say, we were completely surprised. They expertly copied the look of the magazine and succeeded in obtaining some top-notch contributions. To make the joke complete, they sent out 50 copies to individuals they believed were our subscribers, making it appear as if the issue came from us. Except for those who have mentioned receiving a copy, we do not know to whom these issues were sent.

So, while there is a Summer Extra, it was not produced by us, nor do we have any available for purchase.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Bill Goodwin

Gordon Bean

Jamy Ian Swiss

Postby Jamy Ian Swiss » September 26th, 2004, 11:46 pm

We're supposed to believe this story?

Where the hell is my "summer extra," or whatever it's called? I am a subscriber, at least as of when I last looked at my cancelled subscription check.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » September 27th, 2004, 11:26 am

I was at the 31FN-Con, and though Bill's story is fantastic,I think he's just having some fun with us.

David Ben

Postby David Ben » September 27th, 2004, 1:28 pm

I, too, am surprised by the Bean/Goodwin post. I was asked to contribute to the "Summer Extra" and did so willingly, releasing a routine I have kept under wraps for several years. As the other 31 Face North attendees can attest, we (Allan Slaight and myself) always have Bill Goodwin and Gordon Bean present items - past, present, and future - from Penumbra at our conference. This year was no exception. The Penumbra Summer Extra was then given to the group at the conclusion of their presentation. A pity if they failed to print the requisite number of copies so that all of their subscribers - myself included - could receive an issue.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » September 27th, 2004, 2:25 pm

Mega dittos Mr. Ben!

Luckily, none of this confusion happened with the Genii Summer Extra which I received at the beginning of August. Richard Kaufman knows how to do this sort of thing -- an example that Goodwin and Bean could well follow.

Incidentally, Dave, I thought your routine in the Penumbra Summer Extra was one of the best things in that area I'd ever read. And you outdid yourself in the Genii Summer Extra with that amazing losty routine of Vernon 's.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 27th, 2004, 4:56 pm

This is beginning to sound like an Oliver Stone movie.....

Postby Guest » September 27th, 2004, 7:26 pm

The truth will "out" in my Magic Magazines of the Second Millennium (Redux) to be published in time for the Yankee Gathering. (Advance copies may be reserved for $75, perfect-bound; $200 leather. These may be signed on page "P" by Fajuri and Ben for an additional $100 ... each signature.)

Included in that volume will be complete bibliographical details concerning the Spring Extra of this same Title, in seminal form at the moment but due to be released on or about 1 April 05.

The listing for the GENII Extra (page "G") will shed light upon the identity of the mystery editor (but no signature is available at any price).

It's odd that no one has mentioned the recent "vacation issue" of The Linking Ring, since that was the first such issue in audiocassette format. Not being a "paper magazine", of course, it will not be in M M S M (Redux).

Finally, a complete list of "Extras" published for all English-language conjuring periodicals (except Jinx) will be the focus of my article to be published in the next issue of Bruce Dunn's new serial, Collectors Are Crazy.

Ken Becker

Postby Ken Becker » September 27th, 2004, 8:29 pm

You forgot to mention that Conjurer's Magazine, The New Phoenix and Pentagram are all preparing comprehensive extra issues of these soon to be collector copies of Penumbra Summer Special, and Genii Summer Special! Can Kabbala be far behind?

DChung

Postby DChung » September 28th, 2004, 1:20 pm

Originally posted by dben:
A pity if they failed to print the requisite number of copies so that all of their subscribers - myself included - could receive an issue.
Those dirty rascals.

David Ben

Postby David Ben » October 3rd, 2004, 7:29 am

Okay, okay. I can't take it anymore. Here is the real story on the Penumbra Summer Extra.

Bill Goodwin and Gordon Bean had nothing to do with the Penumbra Summer Extra.

Bill's statement on this Forum is essentially correct although several other people - in addition to Gabe Fajuri - played a large part in its making. Mind you, what I posted in the Forum was also essentially correct.

I program the schedule for 31 Faces North. We always start the first full day of the conference with a presentation of an historical subject and then follow it with "The Penumbra Boys - Past Present and Future" in which Bill and Gordon present items from past, present and future issues. Well, I programmed Gabe Fajuri to speak first and assigned him the topic of "Hoax Magazines". He gave his presentation and then Bill and Gordon (along with Harrison Kaplan) followed with material from Penumbra. At the end of their presentation, Gabe interjected and said, "Oh, I forgot, there was one other hoax magazine - The Penumbra Summer Extra." We immediately distributed the fake Penumbra to those attending the conference.

The table was then turned on Allan Slaight - my co-host of 31 Faces North. The idea for the fake Penumbra was to assemble great material - at least in my opinion - and then slowly build up the satirical content near the end of the issue. Allan Slaight, for example, who confesses at great length in the issue that he was, in fact, Stewart James, had no idea that he had 'contributed' something to the magazine. Thus, the magazine was a double surprise for both Gordon and Bill, and Allan Slaight.

I shot the photo of the cover, all the interior shots and solicited contributions from a few close friends. Gabe Fajuri did the lay out.

To cause great meriment - at least in our eyes - I tracked down the addresses of several Penumbra subscribers and sent them the issue - complete in a Penumbra-style, Bill Goodwin return mailing address envelope - and timed it so that the issues would arrive to subscribers while Gordon and Bill were at our conference. I basically went on the Genii Forum, found out who had posted comments about Penumbra and tried to covertly discover their mailing addresses. I sent the issue to those I could track down via the Forum. There weren't a lot but enough to put a little pressure on Gordon and Bill.

So, the only people to receive the issue were the attendees at 31 Faces North, a few close friends and a dozen or so subscribers to Penumbra. I gave each of the contributors a few extra copies they could keep or distribute to their own friends but that's it.

We continued the charade on this Forum after Bill Goodwin tendered his explanation because he is such a sweet guy that we thought it would be fun to yank his chain a little further.

So, Penumbra subscribers, you can lay off sending threatening emails to Gordon and Bill. Do not cancel your subscription to their fine rag. And finally, I apologize for printing so few copies. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » October 3rd, 2004, 1:30 pm

Seems a real shame, regardless of the parentage of this fake mag, to have such a small distribution and now my subscription seems to be a little... incomplete without it. I wonder if there's any way it could be reprinted and made available ? I feel certain that most subscribers to the magazine would want a copy - I know I certainly would.

Any takers ?!

Jamie.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 3rd, 2004, 1:55 pm

I think that its a no-brainer that many regular subscribers would like to have a copy of this, though from the strictest position of the collector, it is not part of the magazine and therefore it is not necessary to complete the file. That would be saying that a complete file of Genii must include a copy of Wenii. I do think its fair to say that there is a fair sized market for this publication, given the contributors, and that includes non-subscribers. The copy that Dick Hatch sold on eBay went for $65. Has the market price been set? Could Ben & Company sell reprints at that price? I doubt it. I contemplated bidding, but that was a little too rich for my tastes, and Im a spendthrift (just ask my wife).

Dustin

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 4th, 2004, 12:00 pm

The Fortunate Idiot:

Yep: Thats me.

Is it having a 17-year old son (going on 8) or a 21-year old daughter (going on 32) that has destroyed my mind? Is it the cumulative effect of the last 21 years? Am I simply at the age where the dreaded disease CRS (Cant Remember Stuff) kicks in? What is this all about?

It turns out that David Ben sent me the Summer Extra issue of Penumbra and I plum forgot about it. You see, the day it arrived I was packing for a business trip to San Francisco. I tossed it into my briefcase: a briefcase I rarely use except for business tripsalso a rarity for me these days. So thats where it sat for weeks; out of sight, out of mind. If not for an email from Mr. Ben (prompted by the above post) asking me if I had received my copy, it would still be sitting in there and I would still be oblivious, wondering if the market price set on eBay might come down or if these would be reprinted and sold at a reasonable price.

Reasonable? I consider my copy priceless!

Thanks Mr. Ben!!!

Dustin
(The Fortunate Idiot.)

DChung

Postby DChung » October 5th, 2004, 8:49 am

Originally posted by dben:
[QB] Okay, okay. I can't take it anymore. Here is the real story on the Penumbra Summer Extra.

Bill Goodwin and Gordon Bean had nothing to do with the Penumbra Summer Extra.
You dirty rascal.

I'm with Jamie.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » October 8th, 2004, 7:45 am

You mean Allan Slaight isn't Stewart James?

Just great...I suppose the next thing your going to tell me is that Jamy Ian Swiss isn't Vanna White.

Well I'll show you, I'm going to subscribe to Penumbra to make sure your literary mockery never shows up in my mailbox again.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 8th, 2004, 8:58 am

Uh, I've seen Jamy Ian Swiss in Vanna White's dress, so maybe he IS Vanna White.
Or not.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » October 8th, 2004, 11:49 am

Richard, you ain't right....

brian :cool:

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 9th, 2004, 9:32 am

I am flabbergasted!!

I received the Summer Extra, it was in the correct envelope, had the correct-looking cover, paper, fonts -- everything.

I thought the Allan Slaight piece was one of the funniest things I had ever read, and wrote to Allan to congratulate him. He told me it was written by Mike Close and that he (Allan) had been cajoled into reading it at the 51 Faces North convention. So I wrote to Mike to congratulate him.

In speaking with Bon Farmer, Bob told me he had thought the issue was a joke. But I still believed it was the real deal.

So congratulations to David Ben and many thanks to him for sending me an issue.

This is one of the great magic hoaxes of all time.

Matt Field

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 9th, 2004, 10:25 am

Matt, my apologies, I was just kidding, it's not a joke. It's a regular issue, but Bill and Gordon wanted to stir up some new subscriber interest, so they concocted this entire story. Allan Slaight and David Ben had nothing to do with it at all.

Return to “Other Magic Publications”