Crimp

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
Bill Mullins

Crimp

Postby Bill Mullins » February 13th, 2003, 3:19 pm

Some time ago Jerry Sadowitz had an issue of the Crimp where he proposed a new suspect as the real identity of Erdnase. Who was it?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Crimp

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2003, 3:43 pm

Jeff Busby's hermaphroditic grandmother.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » February 13th, 2003, 7:06 pm

Dang, I'd have bet money on him claiming it was Gene Maze ;-)

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2003, 8:43 am

Does anyone know if the Crimp is still going?

In the last edition I had, there was a note where you had to send 10 pounds and agree to never bothering Jerry. If you contacted him to ask when the next edition was coming out - you lost the tenner.

Is it still being produced?

Derek

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 15th, 2003, 9:20 am

Jerry Sadowitz has a few screws loose--as if anyone didn't know that.

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2003, 10:42 am

Based on the relatively few times that i've met Jerry i've found him to be forthcoming, a wealth of information and always willing to recommend good products and offer handling tips. I've so far purchased some ten books and other items based solely on his recommendation and have yet to be disappointed. A thoroughly helpful chap i'd say.

HT

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 15th, 2003, 2:30 pm

Originally posted by DKJones:
Does anyone know if the Crimp is still going?
Derek
Derek -- The Crimp is still being published, sporadically. I think the last issue was numbered 54B, or 54 1/2 for some reason. You can sometimes get a copy through H&R Magic Books.

Jerry had gotten more and more bitter toward people who, once friends, he now considers his enemies, like Richard Kaufman and Peter Duffie.

It's too bad -- Jerry is a fabulously creative magician. I've been on and off his s@%t list more than once -- don't even know where I stand with him today.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2003, 3:37 pm

Thanks Guys. I can only comment on my personal experiences with Jerry. I met him at the Magic Circle Dealer's day in London and showed him a couple of moves that ended up in The Crimp.

I approached him with trepidation - based on his stage persona. My own experience, however, is that, off-stage, he was a *very* friendly guy willing to share lots of advice and recommendations (as someone else posted), offered me all the money he had on him to pay for a taxi home, gave me a copy of his card video etc. etc.

I know the rumours etc. - but I met up with him two times after that - and he was again, a sound guy. Just wanted to post my impressions.

It's probably just the fact that he speaks his mind (and that's what makes The Crimp so funny) that annoys so many people.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 15th, 2003, 4:11 pm

Sorry, DKJones, but it isn't the fact that he, as you call it, "speaks his mind that annoys people," that's not it all.
I've also met Sadowitz, years ago, and he was extremely nice ... oddly deferential. Seemed very normal, almost shy. Not all at the guy I'd seen on TV spouting mad obscenities in what seemed to me a vain attempt to be funny (that's aside from showing his willie at a concert).
However, he's repeatedly attacked me and my friends in the Crimp in a completely irrational manner and without cause. He's just a nut case ... a raving looney (albeit a magically talented one with some very good ideas).

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » February 17th, 2003, 8:51 am

I try to separate Sadowitz the person (regardless of which masque he is wearing) from Sadowitz, the magician and creator. I have generally respected his considerable skill and found his books (particularly the ones he did with Peter Duffie) to be stimulating and very useful.

The initial issue of the CRIMP was refreshingly different; however, its uninhibited scatological invective quickly became tiresome. Moreover, it was unimaginatively mean-spirited, disguised as satire and social commentary. It becomes a form of excessive, public wanking...

Perhaps the best way to gain some insights about someone is to talk with their family, friends, and EX-friends. I tried to talk to him in person a few years ago. He refused to shake my hand, look me in the eye, or even muster enough gumption to curse, sit, punch, scream, or express any CRIMP-like behavior. In short, he looked at the floor and wimped out...

I PRIVATELY wrote him about an unfair, unwarranted attack against Gene Maze. He failed to reply, except to lambast Maze, Kaufman, Marlo, and me...

I'm still willing to give him a "pass" since his pathology may be beyond his control. If he is indeed "ill" with some kind of "psychic disturbance" or bipolar disorder, then he has my sympathy...

However, when he spews in public, I resist such toxicity. To offset my reaction to his repellent behavior, I reread his "works" (other than the CRIMP)and watch his video.

Onward...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2003, 11:10 am

I gargle with Listerine.

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2003, 4:45 am

to go back to the original question....I can't remember who he proposed, but if I remember I'll check and post. Otherwise, the Crimp is currently on issue 53c, and is available for 5 or $10 from Jerry.

Like others, I've found Jerry to be an exceptionally polite and friendly person. He does speak his mind within the Crimp, however, and I guess thats not to everyones taste. But then everyones entitled to an opinion, including Jerry, and speaking for myself I enjoy the Crimp immensely.

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2003, 7:07 am

Sorry to ask again - but is Jerry's contact address the same as it was a few years ago? Or is there a different address for the Crimp?

( it was Finchley Road)

thanks in advance
Derek

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2003, 8:23 am

The same.

Rob

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2003, 10:27 am

Checked the Crimp for the answer the Q at the top: Issue no.52 is the one. He believes that it was Robert Frederick Foster, and the issue contains a great deal of info as researched by Richard Hatch.

regards

Rob

Postby Guest » February 27th, 2003, 7:31 am

I hate to hear people slag off people like this. This is just what you have read and we don't know for sure what has happened between him and duffie. I have asked jerry about future publications of the crimp and he very kindly wrote back telling me he didn't know when it would be out. He is a very intelligent cardman and his material is first class. Lets not pick on fellow magicians and lets keep the peace.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 27th, 2003, 7:58 am

Trilby, "let's not pick on fellow magicians and let's keep the peace." You are writing this regarding Jerry Sadowitz?
Please give me a break. Sadowitz is truly a person in the grip of some sort of bizarre mental illness. Having been the victim of his printed attacks, I can assure you that he loves to pick on people and has no desire to keep the peace. He'll get what he gives.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 28th, 2003, 10:13 am

Originally posted by RobD:
Checked the Crimp for the answer the Q at the top: Issue no.52 is the one. He believes that it was Robert Frederick Foster, and the issue contains a great deal of info as researched by Richard Hatch.

Rob
Thanks for the help. I bought this issue when Hatch carried it new, but I've misplaced it.

Bill

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 28th, 2003, 9:57 pm

I think everyone should piss off Jerry at least once. I did and I got my name in his magazine twice and a free ad for "The Foo Can"(now in its fourth exciting issue!)

Pissing off Jerry is fun and harmless, I reccommend it.

Makes Jerry Sad
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2003, 6:35 am

Kaufman
Quote:
Having been the victim of his printed attacks, I can assure you that he loves to pick on people and has no desire to keep the peace. He'll get what he gives.

Aye but do 2 wrongs make a right. I know he slags people off. But he is one of the most talented close up workers out there at the moment in my opinion. Look at the state of magic today with all these contempory magicians, all I am saying is don't slag off one of the best there is. Come on who would you rather watch perform sadowitz or someone like sankey??

By the way can you tell I am a huge fan?

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2003, 12:33 pm

Originally posted by trilby:
Aye but do 2 wrongs make a right?
No, but three LEFTS make a right.

TW

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » March 2nd, 2003, 6:58 pm

Originally posted by trilby:
Kaufman
Quote:
By the way can you tell I am a huge fan?
Don't worry, that's a phase a lot of magicians go through.

Andy

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2003, 8:46 pm

I'd much rather watch Sankey perform his best material any day of the week than watch Sadowitz.

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2003, 7:39 am

I'd much rather watch Sankey perform his best material any day of the week than watch Sadowitz.
But is that because you don't like Sadowitz? Or because you publish some of Sankey's work? Or from a purely neutral standpoint? Just neutrally, Sadowitz is by far the stronger card magician, disregarding any performing style or personal opinions on the performers.

Whilst Sadowitz does attack you in his magazines, he did also highly recommend the Collins book in the latest issue. I also think that to say that he's in the grip of a 'bizarre mental illness' is a bit strong, if not libellous.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 10th, 2003, 8:31 am

Jerry Sadowitz is nuts, plain and simple. I can guarantee you that nothing I've written about him can compare to what he's written about others (including me).
I prefer Sankey's work because I enjoy his ideas more. Jerry has the edge in creating magic with cards, however Sankey's work in that area is extremely good. BUT, Sankey has also created a lot of brilliant magic with coins and other objects. Jerry has not.

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2003, 10:57 am

Has anyone had an unpleasant experience face to face with Jerry? Or are his outbursts confined to the printed word? (apart from his TV ppearances of course).

It seems that most peoples interactions with him (including mine) have been quite pleasant.

What do you think?

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2003, 1:10 pm

Originally posted by Paul Higgins:
.....are his outbursts confined to the printed word?
A good point!

I've met him on a few occasions (at International Magic), and he's always been charming. (In case that sounds like I'm name dropping, I should stress that he wouldn't know me from Adam.)

And I've seen him live on stage and numerous times on TV, where he's varied between occasionally charming and often terrifyingly abrasive.

Dave

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 11th, 2003, 1:25 pm

In person, Sadowitz will not even look the people he's libelled in print in the face: the ultimate in non-confrontation--you don't even exist.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 11th, 2003, 10:13 pm

Bill's question was answered and the rest of this is nonsense, so I think it may be a good time to lock this (now) Sadowitz thread down.

Dustin

Return to “Other Magic Publications”