Can an 8 year old write a magic book?

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
Spellbinder

Can an 8 year old write a magic book?

Postby Spellbinder » July 28th, 2005, 6:18 pm

Eleazar Goodenough just turned eight this summer. Last year, at the age of 7, he did some serious study of all the newspaper tears available and then came up with a whole new approach that he called the Ultimate Newspaper Tear.

I just finished editing his manuscript (he still writes like a 2nd grader!), which is one of a series of 12 paper tear tricks in his soon to be released book "Tear-Able Magic." It was so good, I put it on sale tonight as a stand-alone effect ($3.00).

How dare an 8 year old (or 7 year old) state that he has invented the ULTIMATE Paper Tear? Because it's true.

#1. It starts clean. You could have the newspaper that he tears up examined but there's no need because you can handle everything so cleanly as you show each page.

#2. It ends clean. You can drop the restored newspaper into the hands of the audience to take home and study.

The other stuff in the book is just as flabbergasting. He looks at old magic in new ways. I will be spending the next few weeks proofreading and editing (I wish he'd spend as much time working on his penmanship and sentence structure as he does on magic!), but what I am seeing in raw form looks very, very good.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Can an 8 year old write a magic book?

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 28th, 2005, 7:50 pm

Pardon my skepticism.
However, I suppose if there was a Mozart in the world of music, there could be someone like that in the world of magic.
It's just that none of us have ever seen him (or her) ... yet.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » July 29th, 2005, 5:23 am

Not only do I share Richard's skepticism, but I am unconvinced that -- even if the child's work is as good as you make it out to be -- it is in his best interested to be published and fawned over at 8...

His talent isn't going to diminish with experience and practice...the magic world can wait for his discoveries and he can grow up with a little more humility, balance, and a drive to prove himself...not to mention a more secure foundation in the principles of great magic and great performance

best,

N.
IllusionArtistry.com

cataquet

Postby cataquet » July 29th, 2005, 5:35 am

Just call me Thomas!

If the idea is to promote this Mozart, then the world wants to see the guy in action. Let's have the DVD... However, this might just be a marketing trick (ie, the 8 year old's father/uncle is the real genius). Or, it could simply an excuse to bring the website to the attention of the Genii forum. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking a cheap shot at Spellbinder, I'm just a...

Doubting Thomas

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » July 29th, 2005, 5:43 am

I just noticed the surname...re-reading the post it sounds a touch like a put on...

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » July 29th, 2005, 5:49 am

indeed, "Eleazar Goodenough" is the name of character in a piece of fiction published on spellbinder's website about some children heading on a train to a boarding school to learn about magic (the nod to Harry Potter is so obvious that I'm guessing that this might be intended as parody -- though I wouldn't know as I haven't read any of the Rowling books):

http://www.geocities.com/grimeswriter/chapter1.htm

I'm guessing that this thread is a playful way of announcing the new product...

best,

N.
IllusionArtistry.com

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 29th, 2005, 6:18 am

Not to sound as "thick as a brick" here, but given the general level of reading, much less writing in our craft, a second grade reading level is just a bit lower than required for most texts. Excepting "Expert at the Card Table" of course, though evidently few people have read it, given the prevalence of flourishes, displays of gambling skills and a clever demeanor among many who entertain with cards. ;)

Given that some of our better performers and innovators had small hands and artistic temper issues... perhaps a youngster could write a book on conjuring.

I guess a young conjurer would have great leeway for all sorts of adult and historical references too as long as they knew such would come across as humor, or as channeling.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2005, 7:44 am

Greetings from a new member...

I must agree that after perusing the Spellbinder site at length, the "young author" seems to be a marketing ploy. The online book is cute, but literally a direct rip-of J K Rowling. Of course, it is often said that imitation is but flattery in another form. Makes one wonder how many kids would start buying magic tricks if J K Rowling were to publish a book of magic ?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 29th, 2005, 8:15 am

Originally posted by TRUMPETMAN:
...how many kids would start buying magic tricks if J K Rowling were to publish a book of magic ?
I for one would be grateful were Ms Rowling to lend her talent in storytelling and imagery to our craft.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » July 29th, 2005, 8:21 am

What's that under the bridge?

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » August 21st, 2005, 7:00 pm

Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Eleazar Goodenough just turned eight this summer. Last year, at the age of 7, he did some serious study of all the newspaper tears available and then came up with a whole new approach that he called the Ultimate Newspaper Tear.

I think the greatest trick of all is that this 7 year old was able to read, study, and apply the directions on a newspaper tear. They always seem like Latin to me....

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » August 25th, 2005, 11:11 am

I don't know what's more pathetic: that someone claims a seven-year-old can come up with the "ultimate" in any magic trick or that we're paying any attention to this nonsense.

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » August 25th, 2005, 11:55 am

Hey, look over there! Someone thought up a new variation on "Triumph!" ::runs::

:D

brian :cool:

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » September 13th, 2005, 7:07 pm

Eleazar's book is finally complete and available. I have to admit that I'm to blame for your skepticism. When I started the site in 2003, Eleazar was five and I wrote the "Mystery of the Scrying Inkwell" with him as the main hero since there are few magic fantasy books with Black heroes. The story was a way of getting him interested in magic, and in reading. At that time, he had seen the Harry Potter movie (#1) but had not yet read the book. After reading his own story, he launched into the Harry Potter books... or rather WE launched into them because at that time I was doing half the reading. It wasn't long before he was able to read them on his own.

I had to stop working on his book and the site for a year because of health reasons. In the meantime, Eleazar had started devouring my magic library and DVDs. When I recovered enough to take up the site again, Eleazar insisted that I finish "HIS" story, too. He wants to know how it turns out, and I must confess, so do I.

For those who wish to criticize my Americanization parody of the Harry Potter book, I am merely amused that you devoted so much time and effort to do so. That work of fiction has little to do with Eleazar's magic writings. He has also been a regular contributer to my Wizards' Journal, so his ability to write a book on the subject of paper magic should come as no surprise to those who have read his other articles in the Journals.

The Magic Book was a follow up to his second grade science project this past year- the relationship of electricity and magnetism in an electric motor. Jim Gerrish worked with him on that one, but all of us who knew him had to watch him rehearse and memorize and put this humongous five part project together. It won an award at his elementary school and was sent on to the high school science fair for the district.

We noticed that while he needed little help to dream up long complicated projects, finishing them was another story. He would finish one piece and decide that was enough for the science fair. So after the fair was over, I sat him down and we collected all the paper tear tricks he had been working on and he saw that he had more than enough for a big book project on paper magic. So he learned to break the project into sections and do one section at a time until the whole thing was complete. The result is a magic book, but my goal was how to organize and complete a complicated project.

He already has his plans for his third grade science fair project- he's going to make a working hydrogen fuel cell. He's using the money he makes from his magic book to buy the necessary parts. And yes, like all the authors on my site, he gets 100% of all the profits from his book and I make nothing (except the web site traffic it generates, so don't feel sorry for me!).

I hope that answers your questions and perhaps puts some (not all) of your doubts to rest. I am a skeptic myself (and I participate in Randi's site frequently) so I don't mind when others are skeptical of me and my projects. Keep on being you, and I'll keep on being me.

Below- part of Eleazar's 2nd Grade Science Project - A "Beakman" Motor
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2005, 7:23 pm

I showed the photo to my bestest pal because your little boy looks just like his lil' guy (turned eight a month ago).
Steve V

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » September 13th, 2005, 7:24 pm

Sorry to follow up with my own follow-up, but I forgot to mention that there will eventually be a companion DVD to Eleazar's book. It may take some time to complete because he has to divide his time between school, sports, music, Wiz Kids, videography and video-editing, computer graphics and taking time out just to be a kid. When we get into post-production of the DVD, we'll post some clips on the site. He also needs to continue working on the still photographs in the book. I should mention that as we make updates to the book, all purchasers automatically receive a new up-dated copy, so you don't have to wait or worry you won't get the complete book if you buy it now. It IS an e-book after all!
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » September 13th, 2005, 8:25 pm

Spellbinder posts:
Eleazar's book is finally complete and available. I have to admit that I'm to blame for your skepticism. When I started the site in 2003, Eleazar was five and I wrote the "Mystery of the Scrying Inkwell" with him as the main hero since there are few magic fantasy books with Black heroes. The story was a way of getting him interested in magic, and in reading.
Although I admire your goals, and understand your motives (my mother spent many a frustrated year trying to get me and my brother interested in our heritage), I still have to point out that you have "moved the ends."

You began by flacking, to an audience of magicians (many of whom are working pros and accomplished authors within the craft), the premise that a seven-year-old, on his own, came up with a Newspaper Tear that is "the ultimate."

You have since diverted the subject off to the concept of a Harry Potter ripoff and then posted a photo that further muddies the waters by appealing to emotions -- he's a good looking and apparently earnest kid -- and our sympathies.

Sadly, I hate to tell you -- I wouldn't stand for this from a white magician; I'll be damned if I'll do it from one of my own.

Do your son a favor. If he's really interested in magic, spend the next ten years really teaching him the history and craft and art of magic. There's a world of black magicians out there whose stories remain in the shadows. Teach him about Fetake Sanders. Take him to meet Presto in New York City, who last I heard, is still around and would probably love to meet a kid interested in magic. Jack Goldfinger's eyes would light up at the chance to tell your son about the world of black magicians. Michael Vincent, Ice McDonald, Puck, Victor and Diamond, Hiawatha, Chris Capehart -- there's a load of walking knowledge out there. He's way ahead of himself if he thinks he can come up with something that the talent and the history of magic of all colors has yet to create.

Please don't, don't, don't, don't try to use this forum to push something that won't do him or anyone else any good.

My .02, respectfully (and I'm serious about this).

brian :cool:

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » September 14th, 2005, 4:07 am

Wow! People are certainly carrying around a lot of baggage that goes way beyond magic here. I think there is a lot of "jumping to conclusions" going on that I can do nothing about, but I will simply address some things factually.

Eleazar is not my son. Eleazar Goodenough is not his real name any more than "Presto" is Everett Johnson's real name (an old, old friend). When Eleazar is 18 he can decide to reveal his real name if he chooses, or he can continue to use his "magician name." Being on the Internet, it is best (and safer) if he continues to use his stage name.

The "ultimate" magic trick is defined in the first post. It starts clean and it ends clean. As a magician, you can't ask for anything more than that and up until now, no newspaper tear that I am aware of has been able to make that claim. Therefore Eleazar's title for his version is appropriate and not advertising hype.

My writing the story of "The Mystery of the Scrying Inkwell" has nothing to do with African American ancestry other than having Eleazar as the "hero" of the story. It was not written to get him interested in his heritage, but just to get him reading. It worked. Don't worry about his heritage education; his family and friends have that area well covered.

The "Eleazar Goodenough Stories" have nothing to do with his own book, "Tear-Able Magic." If you want to criticize the "Mystery of the Scrying Inkwell," I take all the flak on that one. If you want to criticize "Tear-Able Magic," you'd better read it first. I am hoping to have it reviewed on Magic Radio in the near future by someone who is doing just that.

Any other problems or concerns?
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Postby Guest » September 14th, 2005, 4:47 pm

I want to get off topic for a moment. I have given a quick look at Tear-able Magic, I'll give it a closer look over the next few days, and am going to do a review of it on www.magicbroadcast.com now that we are going to getting the review show going again. Forget the eight year old kid aspect and all that other stuff, this is a book full of great information. It is well written, has lots of material that will absolutely be of value to the kid or family show entertainer, really a great effort from first pass through. This isn't a kids book and it is written by either a very knowledgable magician or the most brilliant eight year old in history, either way don't let the hype or how it is being presented as a kids production this is good magic. More to come on the radio show and in the written review I'll be doing.
Steve V

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » September 14th, 2005, 6:42 pm

The "ultimate" magic trick is defined in the first post. It starts clean and it ends clean. As a magician, you can't ask for anything more than that and up until now, no newspaper tear that I am aware of has been able to make that claim. Therefore Eleazar's title for his version is appropriate and not advertising hype.
Bill Goldman's brilliant (and un-titled) tabloid "restoration" (Magic Bar and Grill #6) fulfills this criterion (a criterion which seems fairly weak for the 'ultimate' label).

Nonetheless, I was glad to see Steve's positive report and it may be interesting to take a look at this work.

Best,

N.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » September 14th, 2005, 9:00 pm

Originally posted by Nathan Coe Marsh:
Bill Goldman's brilliant (and un-titled) tabloid "restoration" (Magic Bar and Grill #6) fulfills this criterion (a criterion which seems fairly weak for the 'ultimate' label).
Well, if you back me into a corner, I will admit that clean handling and good angle coverage should be added to the "ultimate" criteria, but Eleazar's version has both. I suggested the name "penultimate" to Eleazar in order to leave the door open to a future version, but he only said "huh?" and I decided that the word "penultimate" is rarely used and often misunderstood, so I let it slide.

Do you have a link for the Magic Bar and Grill #6 so we can check out Bill Goldman's tabloid restoration?
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » September 14th, 2005, 9:20 pm

Do you have a link for the Magic Bar and Grill #6 so we can check out Bill Goldman's tabloid restoration?
Never mind. I used the "other genii" aka "Google" to find Bill Goldman's site and ordered the book from him. If anyone else is also interested:

http://www.baddogmagic.com/
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » September 17th, 2005, 3:02 am

The ultimate version of any plot in magic is, I think, that in which the experience of the audience most closely corresponds to the performer's vision for the piece (what Tommy Wonder terms the "mind movie"). Issues like the "cleanliness" of the props before and after the routine can certainly affect the experience of the audience, but they are each only one of thousands of threads in the cloth.

Denny Haney is standing in front of us. He holds a handful of shredded newspaper above his head. He promises that he will drop the ripped pieces and, as they fall to the ground, we will watch the pieces meld together and the newspaper will be whole again. We are intrigued by the prospect and lean forward ever so slightly. He laughs and looks at one of us "I would like to see that myself." Suddenly we are taken aback. We know that he means it and we laugh at ourselves for expecting such an outrageous act. We realize that the idea is as preposterous as him separating the waters of the Atlantic and walking to Europe. Suddenly, he drops the pieces and we watch as, in mid-air, they re-make themselves into a single solid sheet of newspaper.

It feels like a two-by-four has smashed us in the solar plexis.

Denny's performance corresponds to my vision of the newspaper trick. Were I forced to use the word 'ultimate,' his is the version to which I would apply it (note that the method is Gene Anderson's (and a brilliant method it is!), but there is much more going on to make this 'ultimate' than the Anderson work). Now is the time to ask the absurd question: which detail makes it ultimate? Is it the visual beauty and deceptiveness of Anderson's method? Is it Denny's non-chalant handling? Is it the excellent angles provided by the method? Is it the way that Denny is able to build a bond with us and makes us feel like he is one of us? Is it the construction that makes the effect feel so much more extraordinary than it normally does?

It is, of course, all of these and none of these. To say X's version of this trick is the ultimate because it ends clean is absurd. X's version, if it is 'ultimate,' is ultimate because of the combination of thousands of details -- the absence of tension in a shoulder, a gesture that is pitch perfect for the moment, an intriguing opening line that pulls us in despite ourselves -- not because of any single factor. As the most influential magician of the 20th Century constantly reminded us: "Details make for perfection, but..."

There is much more, related to this, that I very much want to say -- but it is 6am here and I need to be up by noon...so I have to leave it where it is for now. Please don't take any of this personally (particularly as it is incomplete) -- I'm only trying to bring out some issues that I feel are important, not chastise anyone.

Best,

N.
IllusionArtistry.com

P.S. Denny Haney's performance of the newspaper trick can be seen on the excellent video "Denny and Lee: Live at the Wells Theatre" (http://www.dennymagic.com).

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » September 19th, 2005, 8:07 pm

Steve Vaughn, of www.magicbroadcast.com Internet Magic Radio, will be reviewing Eleazar Goodenough's book, "Tear-Able Magic; Paper Magic for Wizards" on Saturday, Sept 24th, 9:45 EDT, 8:45 CDT, 7:45 MDT, 6:45 PDT.

Steve's written review of the book will appear on Magic Talk - www.magictalk.com
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2005, 9:13 am

If I didn't know better, I'd swear this SPELLBINDER guy was Jonathon Royal...

Obviously he is a serious SPAMMER dedicated to pushing a kid into some kind of special state or recognition for whatever reason. Nonetheless, like Mr. Royal, seems Spellbinder is incapable of actually CONTRIBUTING to what it is we do in these forums and feels it his right to post about nothing but his agenda and pipe dream project.

He has been banned from at least one major forum and I believe a couple of others as the result of this same SPAM activity... I really hope that Richard or whoever the powers may be these days, invites this individual to get real and be a part of things or find a forum dedicated to those second and third grade kids that like magic and want to hear from someone that's on their level... like the Cafe...

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » September 23rd, 2005, 6:50 pm

I don't want to respond to Craig Browning's venomous post here, as it would demean the Genii Forum. I was banned ONLY from Mind and Magic Forum, not exactly a major forum, through the efforts of Craig. I have responded to this banning on my site, where I will continue to advertise the Mind and Magic Forum in my links list. Both Jim Gerrish and I have been regular contributers to Genii Magazine since the early 70's, and now we continue to contribute to the Genii Forum.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2005, 9:23 pm

Actually, it wasn't me that got you banned, it was the fact that you'd only made 5 total post on that forum, three of which were pushing your products (this kid)... if you had established yourself before hand, chances are things would have flowed differently. NO ONE knew who you were and yes, M&M has been one of the major forums out there (for professionals... like other boards I'm involved in, we seek quality of post vs. quantity of posts or even quantity of membership.)

Too, "others" (who will remain nameless) had some not so pleasant things to say about both, you and the kid's book (post review) e.g. I'm not the one to be upset with. Granted, I offered one of the only "negative" posts in this thread on this issue, but I do believe someone needed to speak up in contrast to the hype.

Postby Guest » September 24th, 2005, 5:16 pm

Ya know....maybe it is a good thing I'm doing a review. First of all I don't know anything about Spellbinder or his business nor have I ever been to the forum in question (that he seems to have been banned from). I don't know the history of any of this but I got a copy of the ebook cuz I like paper magic and it works well in the area of magic I perform in, kids shows, for money. I do admit I love close up etc but don't make any money doing it. I'll be reviewing the content, not who wrote it or why or how it is promoted.

I will tell you this. It seems to me that the book is written by an adult who really understands magic in the guise of young Mr. Goodenough. I don't believe there is a real boy though it may be based on a child in the writers life. I also have no reason to doubt that Spellbinder wrote the story about this character for any reason other than to inspire his grandson (I think that is the relationship) to read. Nothing wrong with that.
Steve V

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » September 25th, 2005, 2:26 pm

So how can we get your full review, Steve? Will it be archived on your site? (I didn't see an archive section.)

Beyond the silliness published in the above posts, there is the point that the paper tear <does> sound intriguing. What did you think of the paper tear?

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » September 25th, 2005, 4:28 pm

I don't want to respond to Craig Browning's venomous post here, as it would demean the Genii Forum. I was banned ONLY from Mind and Magic Forum, not exactly a major forum, through the efforts of Craig. I have responded to this banning on my site, where I will continue to advertise the Mind and Magic Forum in my links list. Both Jim Gerrish and I have been regular contributers to Genii Magazine since the early 70's, and now we continue to contribute to the Genii Forum.
You were not banned from Mind and Magic due to any action on anyone else's part except your own.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Postby Guest » September 25th, 2005, 7:14 pm

I did the radio review Saturday and will do a written one for magictalk and it will be in their list of reviews.
Steve V

Postby Guest » January 22nd, 2006, 7:54 pm

Wow! People are certainly carrying around a lot of baggage that goes way beyond magic here. I think there is a lot of "jumping to conclusions" going on that I can do nothing about, but I will simply address some things factually.

Eleazar is not my son. Eleazar Goodenough is not his real name any more than "Presto" is Everett Johnson's real name (an old, old friend). When Eleazar is 18 he can decide to reveal his real name if he chooses, or he can continue to use his "magician name." Being on the Internet, it is best (and safer) if he continues to use his stage name.

My writing the story of "The Mystery of the Scrying Inkwell" has nothing to do with African American ancestry other than having Eleazar as the "hero" of the story. It was not written to get him interested in his heritage, but just to get him reading. It worked. Don't worry about his heritage education; his family and friends have that area well covered.

The "Eleazar Goodenough Stories" have nothing to do with his own book, "Tear-Able Magic." If you want to criticize the "Mystery of the Scrying Inkwell," I take all the flak on that one. If you want to criticize "Tear-Able Magic," you'd better read it first. I am hoping to have it reviewed on Magic Radio in the near future by someone who is doing just that.

Any other problems or concerns?
I know someone who used to lie on chat rooms and sounded just like this.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » January 23rd, 2006, 1:51 pm

Spellbinder is a good example of why one should never practice hypnosis while looking into a mirror. It seems that only he has been bound by his spell.

I still haven't seen a review of Eleazar Goodenough's newspaper tear.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 23rd, 2006, 2:58 pm

When is one eight?

Most writing is done to the second or third grade level, which is easily accessible by an eight year old. Some in magic act as if controlled by their eight year old selves. Is is such a leap that someone who acts as if eight years old would offer a work to the community? If they have a bit of guile they may even give their eight year old self a name and use that name the way a ventriloquist uses a puppet. Kind of like the kids on South Park.

Is it possible that an eight year old could have assimilated the knowledge base of our craft and gone one to find new and practical solutions to classic problems? Possible, though not likely. It does make a good story though. And magic is very much about stories.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » January 25th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Is this thread of doubts still alive? Steve Vaughn's review is on Magic Talk and he has permitted me to post it on my Magic Nook Web site here: http://magicnook.com/papermagic/SteveVreview.htm

Eleazar has gone past the work he did this summer in turning out the "Tear-able Magic" e-book. His latest effect, "Every Century Silks" featured in The Wizards' Journal #8, brings the old 20th Century Silks by Frank Ducrot (named and invented circa 1900) into the 21st century and the X-Treme magic movement.

That should give you more grist for your discussion mills.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » February 6th, 2006, 10:50 pm

The young man sounds like a veritable Mozart, who composed his first symphony at the age of 8, while in London. However, there is one major difference. Mozart was a known performer. I haven't seen any photos of Eleazar Goodenough performing at any of the conventions or anything like that.

I'd like to see that, or perhaps a video clip. A good child performer can be phenomenal.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » February 7th, 2006, 5:34 pm

You'll have to wait until Eleazar is older. His parents allow him to perform with the Wiz Kids but the Wiz Kids have stopped going to conventions and performing for other magicians for a variety of reasons.

Eleazar will continue to develop and grow in private, whether other magicians believe in him or not. He is saving up his earnings on his e-book and Wizards' Journal articles but so far he is more interested in buying a laptop computer than magic store props. As is obvious from his writings, he makes most of his own props with a little help from adults on the power tools.

Remember, Mozart was a real brat and we're doing our best to keep Eleazar from developing into a Mozart.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » February 7th, 2006, 5:43 pm

You'll have to wait until Eleazar is older. His parents allow him to perform with the Wiz Kids but the Wiz Kids have stopped going to conventions and performing for other magicians for a variety of reasons.
Uh, Jim, isn't "Eleazar" your son?

John
http://www.escamoteurettes.com/blog/

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » February 8th, 2006, 4:39 pm

You seem to be mixed up with names and relationships. I thought I had straightened all that out with my earlier posts. No matter. Who he is is not as important as what he does with his gifts.

While other kids are probably playing with video games or watching TV, he and his father are sitting together tearing up napkins and restoring them. They are collaborating on an X-Treme napkin tear version, where the spectator signs a napkin, then tears it up and restores it himself. You worry about who he is. I want to know how they plan to pull this one off.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » February 8th, 2006, 5:19 pm

You seem to be mixed up with names and relationships. I thought I had straightened all that out with my earlier posts. No matter. Who he is is not as important as what he does with his gifts.
You didn't answer my question. Aren't you Jim Gerrish, and isn't "Eleazar" your son?

John
http://www.escamoteurettes.com/blog/

Return to “Other Magic Publications”