Impossible Objects

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Impossible Objects

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2003, 11:37 am

Originally posted in the Genii Forum Thread Deck o\' Cards in Bottle

Impossible Objects

Newer forum members may not have seen this. Neat Stuff!

Re: Impossible Objects

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2003, 8:16 am

I had seen Eng's work before. I love puzzles and stumbled upon the site a while back. I think my favorite one is One-Gallon Jug #1. The shoes just do it for me, along with the gun...

Adam Brooks

Postby Adam Brooks » March 1st, 2003, 1:12 pm

Many of these are, bar none, the most beautiful works of art I have ever seen.

A note on The Eng Gallon Jug #1: Look at the plug in the top of the bottle. Notice that it has a locked padlock hanging from the bottom of the plug. I have no clue how he managed that; it is my favorite Eng impossiblity.

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2003, 2:53 pm

Anyone who's ever tried to open a locked car with a coat hanger has to appreciate the impossible bottle art.

The wonder box intrigues me the most; I can imagine a routine wherein the four sides of the outer "shell" are numbered and different objects are pulled out (and replaced) depending upon which side is up.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 2nd, 2003, 9:18 am

Originally posted by Thomas Wayne:
The wonder box intrigues me the most; I can imagine a routine wherein the four sides of the outer "shell" are numbered and different objects are pulled out (and replaced) depending upon which side is up.
Why take something as sublime as one of these objects and muck it up with a magic trick?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 2nd, 2003, 9:19 am

Originally posted by Thomas Wayne:
Why take something as sublime as one of these objects and muck it up with a magic trick?

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2003, 12:03 pm

Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Beacause it IS a magic trick.

"Look at this... go ahead, open the box; see how the opening of the drawer is uppermost? Close it again and rotate it a quarter turn. Good, now open it again. See? It's still open on the top! Cool, huh?"

Unlike the many other impossible objects seen at this website, the Wonder Box requires active physical demonstation to reveal its curious nature. If that's not at least ONE definition of a "magic trick", then I don't what is.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne

Return to “Link Watch”