Jake the Peg (Rudy Coby?)

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Jake the Peg (Rudy Coby?)

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2007, 8:28 pm

This is probably old news to many, but watch this video of Rolf Harris doing one of his comic songs...it's Rudy Coby's act!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KJleJbn9G ... ed&search=

Pete Biro

Re: Jake the Peg (Rudy Coby?)

Postby Pete Biro » September 11th, 2007, 10:41 pm

Sorry, this isn't Rudy Coby's act. The three leg bit is a very old English music hall routine. I'll do some digging to find out who was first. The Rolf Harris version is tops.

And... before Coby, Bob Swadling did a three legged magic act. We worked together many many years ago at a Tannen's Jubilee in the Catskills.

Rudy did take it to another level, tho...
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2007, 11:57 pm

Back in the 1980's (probably around 83-84-85) the Disney on Ice touring show featured dozens of multi-legged skaters and characters as well.

Keith

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2007, 4:56 am

Well, I didn't state that well, guess I meant to say it's very much like it, with lots of the same moves.

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2007, 8:04 am

Bob McAllister also did the Three Legged act in a lot of his personal appearances.

all the best,
John

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2007, 9:13 am

My sources in the UK tell me that Rolf Harris, who wrote "Jake the Peg" may well be the originator. Mr. Harris is being contacted to find out more.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2007, 1:30 pm

Rolf Harris apparently based his Jake the Peg song routine on an earlier act by a Dutchman, Frank Roosen.
So the original idea is probably European rather than Antipodean?
We loved this song when we were kids.

In late career, Rolf butchered Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven.
I was not amused.

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2007, 1:48 pm

SBS Australia has a radio interview with Frank re. the Jake the Peg song.
---Frank Roosen who migrated in the 50's to Canada, talks about the writing of the well known Rolf Harris song "Jake the Peg"---

Frank sings an extract in English, but the interview is in Dutch.

http://www20.sbs.com.au/podcasting/medi ... 051109.mp3

neil.kelso

Postby neil.kelso » September 13th, 2007, 1:57 pm

That was a blast from the past! Rolf is brilliant!

For the record, I understand that his cover of Stairway to Heaven came about because he was performing on a tv show which always insisted that the bands and acts featured end the show with a cover of that song. Naturally, Rolf obliged. It just never went away again ;-)

A kindly fun-poke from Deadringers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVWXdCe6620

nostalgic neil ;-)

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2007, 2:20 pm

The Rolf Harris Stairway to Heaven -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5KjaAS ... ed&search=

Led Zeppelin fans click at your own risk.

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2007, 2:35 pm

Yes, Rolf was one of many artists who performed Stairway to Heaven each week on Andrew Denton's Australian show.
Rolf's version was diabolical and won the competition.
Personally, I would have preferred seeing Rolf's wobble board shoved up his great southern land.

Andrew Denton, by the way, although unknown in America or the UK, is quite a witty guy.
Andrew recently confessed that he shouts out Russell Crowe's name each time he has an orgasm!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 13th, 2007, 2:41 pm

YouTube is an evil ingester of time. I want my three hours back!

It's worth checking out the dance moves to the Court of King Caractacus, which is referenced in the related field of the Jake the Peg clip. My kids have been singing it all evening...

I have an old Rolf album with these somewhere, from the late sixties. I'd love to hear Nick O'Teen and Al K Hole again.

Take care, Ian

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 13th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Wll, you just turned me into a Rolf Harris fan. Tie Me Kangaroo Down Boys.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 8:46 am

Now you can compare.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G_JTMuHOQk
Led Zeppelin performs Stairway to Heaven, at O2 Arena, London, December 10, 2007 !

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 8:32 am

I know I'm a bit late to this iscussion, but I have to say that i am the biggest Led Zep fan and I also love the Rolf Harris version of Stairway to Heaven.

There are millions of forty somethings in the UK who grew up with Rolf on TV and he has become a national treasure.

Not only is he a kids entertainer, musician and tv presenter, he is also a talented artist and has exhibited works at the National Portrait Gallery, has painted the Queen and has an exhibition of original artwork at the Portland Gallery.

Still can't top Jake the Peg, though.

Tony

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 8:43 am

Let's hear it for his buddies Nick Teen and Al K. Hol too. :)

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 10:03 am

Now the ideal thing would be finding a video of Rudy Coby doing Stairway to Heaven...!

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 11:39 am

"Can ya tell what it is yet?"

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 11:48 am

Originally posted by John Tudor:
Now the ideal thing would be finding a video of Rudy Coby doing Stairway to Heaven...!
...or Led Zeppelin doing "Tie me Kangaroo down, Sport"...

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 10:12 pm

Two tidbits that may be of interest:

1. Rolf Harris said he had never heard the original Stairway and made a point of not listening to it before he recorded his version. My favourite part is the "...makes me wonder. How does it effect you blokes?"

2. Showing that they were great sports with a sense of humour as well rock legends, Plant and Page performed a version of a Rolf Harris tune "Sun Arise" on a later show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuPmwnJK5o4

Mike Remington

Postby Mike Remington » January 25th, 2013, 5:34 am

Listening to some Rolf Harris recently reminded me of this thread. According to Wikipedia, Rolf Harris appeared on TV in the fifties with a puppet made and operated by Robert Harbin and illustrated Harbin's book Paper Magic.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 25th, 2013, 7:35 am

Back in the late seventies or early eighties, Rolf Harris made one of his many appearances on Irish TV's Late Late Show. Then, as now the show is broadcast live and generally lasts at least two hours.

Earlier there had been discussions about the Troubles in Northern Ireland and about battered wives. After a commercial break Rolf came on to sing, "Two Little Boys". The emotion of the song and what had been discussed affected him and he broke down in tears.

I was watching and the emotional effect it had on viewers and the audience was extraordinary. It literally stopped the show.

Two years ago, journalist Alf McCreary who had been part of the Northern Ireland discussion with Bishop Edwrad Daly, wrote:

"The Bishop and I spent the first half talking live about some of the horrors of the Troubles. After the first commercial break Rolf Harris came on to sing the anti-war song Two Little Boys. Harris was so emotionally overcome by our reports from the North that he broke down in tears, and could not finish his song. I remember him sitting down beside me on the studio set, and pouring a jug of water over his head. Fortunately Bishop Daly quickly came to the rescue, and comforted that troubled and big-hearted man."

The story is that of two little boys who grew up to become soldiers and fight in the American Civil War.

Here is a recent clip of Rolf singing it with the Fron Male Voice Choir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHTPUEE74LQ

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 25th, 2013, 7:51 am

Mike Remington wrote:Listening to some Rolf Harris recently reminded me of this thread. According to Wikipedia, Rolf Harris appeared on TV in the fifties with a puppet made and operated by Robert Harbin and illustrated Harbin's book Paper Magic.

On page 18 of Television Puppet Magic by Ian Adair you will find a photo of Robert Harbin with the puppet who was called FUZZ.

Adair writes: Thirteen 15 minute films were made of the adventures of Fuzz and these were played in Australia and Bermuda. Fuzz first appeared on British TV in "Jig-Saw" with Rolf Harris. Bob says, "No one knew how he worked."

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 23rd, 2013, 2:33 pm

Rolf Harris is having some trouble, it would seem.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 23rd, 2013, 3:01 pm

Yikes!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Link Watch”