Not Magic...yeah it is but it's DIFFERENT

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Not Magic...yeah it is but it's DIFFERENT

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2007, 1:34 pm

Here's the YouTube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIJtKxdRQzY

Awesome performance and some great music too.

Enjoy...
Adrian

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Not Magic...yeah it is but it's DIFFERENT

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 27th, 2007, 2:04 pm

That's pretty neat. I figured where it was going, but yeah...really interesting.

-Jim

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2007, 2:25 pm

This guy is a friend of mine. He also runs a booking agency. He is one of the best caricaturists alive.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2007, 3:39 pm

That was really cool. I couldn't see it until the camera backed off. How do you practice that sort of thing? Paint over it everytime?

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » June 27th, 2007, 4:01 pm

Well done. But, sadly, the act is stolen.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Denny Dent was the first person I saw paint like that.

http://www.dennydent.com/

http://onemansblog.com/2007/05/09/denny ... -painting/

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2007, 5:48 pm

And there you have it, people paid to watch paint dry.

Gord

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2007, 6:56 pm

I wonder who gets credit for such an act...perhaps the early-last-century "chalk talk" preachers?

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2007, 12:15 am

In the late 70s I knew a guy who worked mall art shows who'd paint a painting using only a pallet knife. His gimmick was painting it upside down in 20 minutes. When finished, he'd turn it over and get a good reaction from the crowd watching him. That was followed almost immediately by a sale. The buyer had a story to tell with the purchase.

At the same time I saw another artist do clever presentation. "Ron Art" set up in small malls for three or four days, painting under a mirror so the audience could see. He would paint to cool jazz and do a painting on a piece of hardboard in 10 minutes...if he took his time.

He had a flare for showmanship as his overalls were covered with paint and his paint pots had huge build up of paint on the edges. He was a cool black dude doing his thing.

His paintings were garish, done in bright colors and massive bad taste, without a shred of artistic merit but the locals, having seen them created in front of their eyes, would pop for them almost as fast as he could produce them. Rons talent was in separating the locals from their money.

He made enough money to support himself and his family and to hire a guy to tear his display down and drive it to the next mall and set it up while he flew home to be with his family.

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2007, 12:57 pm

This guy is even quicker!
Link
Could be good with a bit of practice!

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » June 28th, 2007, 2:53 pm

http://www.ent123.com/

Click on "Art Explosion" for a video of Michael Ostaski performing.

His father was Mickey O'Malley, longtime illustrator for Genii Magazine.

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2007, 8:38 am

Over the years I've worked many trade shows with Denny Dent. I've yet to see another performer draw crowds (no pun intended) the way Denny did. he performed 3 or 4 times a day and consistently pulled in more than 1000 people at each performance. He was truly a master. Sadly, he passed away three years ago.

Ostaski's portraits are clearly "inspired" Denny's work, right down to the jump and the signature hand prints at the top of the portrait.

Return to “Link Watch”