Web video for Magicians

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Ian Kendall

Web video for Magicians

Postby Ian Kendall » November 24th, 2003, 8:45 am

Hello all,

Following a couple of requests, combined with a level of rampant delusional egotism that would make wee Mark blush, I have dashed out a short tutorial about making video clips for magicians.

Q: Why should we listen to you?

A: Good point. I put my first streaming video clip online in 1997 and I've had clips available ever since. In that time I've made lots of mistakes and learned some interesting things. I'd like to pass that information on.

Q: But you're that [censored] from Scotland...

A: That was a statement, not a question.

Q: Okay, you're that [censored] from Scotland, aren't you?

A: Yes, but a [censored] that has done courses in video editing and production, and spends most of his life around magic and computers. And if you don't like me, feel free not to look.

Q: Where is it then?

A: www.wing-it.demon.co.uk/webvid

Take care, Ian

Steve Hook

Re: Web video for Magicians

Postby Steve Hook » November 24th, 2003, 12:01 pm

Excellent, Ian! What lecture notes do you want?

Viewers: Note that there are always a couple of choices at the bottom of the page (it's about 8 pages total). Some of the other choices are quite funny but don't have anything to do with compression rates.

Steve H

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 24th, 2003, 12:22 pm

Excellent tutorial Ian!

I do think you underestimate the possible consequences of loading spyware (Real One Player) on to your computer though.

Privacy issues aside, it can destablize your system in ways that aren't always apparent.

That being said, here is a spyware free alternative player for real media stuff that I've been told is quite nice.

http://www.jetaudio.com/download/

Or another alternative that I have tried and works well.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.ph ... 1054136293

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 24th, 2003, 1:31 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Chris; I know there are alternatives to RealOne, which is another reason for a) encoding with Real and b) using the slightly older codec...

I've just had a read through of the pages, which were typed out off the top of my head in two hours this afternoon. I've corrected a couple of spelling mistakes and seen the major missing bits. In the next upgrade I hope to add:

1. Where to get the encoders
2. How to change the settings in them
3. More on WMV embedding
4. More on how the settings alter image quality
5. How to block traffic to Real servers

Don't hold your breath though, I only got this done cos I had a sickie off work :)

Take care, Ian

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 24th, 2003, 2:05 pm

Oh, forgot to mention that the two realplayer alternatives I mentioned in my previous post are also free (of charge and of spyware).

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2003, 8:51 am

allow me to join the Choir...

Thanks Ian!

I've played with Web vids for awhile...
and your tute cleared up many 'issues' I wasn't familiar with. I look forward to future info.

Sidenote...
thanks Chris, I didn't know there were Real Player alternatives... nor that Real contained spyware.)

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » November 25th, 2003, 8:01 pm

Ian,
If you're magic is half as entertaining as your writing you must put on a hell of a good show!
:D
Any plans to visit the states (West coast) any time soon?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 1st, 2003, 12:41 pm

An update;

Thanks to everyone who has sent me messages and things about the webvid project. The interest was so great that it completely trolloped my bandwidth allocation several times over, and I've had to buy some commercial space (which I had intended for a year or so, this was just the catalyst).

So from now on the addresses are:

www.virtualmagicshow.com/webvid for the tutorial and

www.virtualmagicshow.com/moves.htm for other sundry clips.

Thanks again, and take care, Ian

P.S. more egotistical posturing; if anyone has any specific questions about Web Video, or is having problems with something, feel free to let me know and I'll try to put it in the next release...

P.P.S Adrian - I've tried to mail you a couple of times but they are getting refused by your sever. These are the links you were looking for.

Return to “Link Watch”