New E-zine: Artefact. Check it Out!

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

New E-zine: Artefact. Check it Out!

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 5th, 2003, 6:13 pm

Any of you folks seen the new magic e-zine:
http://www.artefactmagic.com
The first issue is now online.
Go take a look and post your reactions here.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jon Racherbaumer

Re: New E-zine: Artefact. Check it Out!

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » January 5th, 2003, 7:24 pm

It may take awhile, but I think the future of information providing will be done through e-zines...particularly if they become 25-100 pages monthly with no ads.

Trouble is...it still takes lots of time, trouble, and sweat-equity to produce ANY kind of magazine...and right now e-zines are FREE.

Methinks that even the Internet, which remains more or less free, will not remain so in the near future.
It will EVENTUALLY cost everyone money to receive or access QUALITY information.

Otherwise, I think that this e-zine is off to a good start.

Onward...

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » January 6th, 2003, 8:47 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Go take a look and post your reactions here.
On the first page is a banner for The Ultimate Network of Magic - a site that has stolen the creations of others and removed the names of the originators.

Didn't go any further than the first page. Any site that supports Ultimate Network of Magic is bound to be crap.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 6th, 2003, 9:56 am

Ya gotta be nuts to start an e-zine, but this is a nice start. The initial interviews and commentary are fun to read, and the thing has a nice look to it (anything that gets the grammar and spelling right can't be all bad). But winter is here. Where is the second issue?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 6th, 2003, 11:47 am

After Tom Stone's post I went back to the Artefact website to examine The Ultimate Magic Network. After all sorts of rigamorole to sign in and become a member, I was treated to hundreds of posts, many of them apparently people illegally transcribing tricks out of books and off videotapes and posting them for others to read on the website.
Needless to say, this is illegal.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ben Harris

Postby Ben Harris » January 6th, 2003, 3:20 pm

In regards Jon's comments.

Micro-payments will become the norm in the future. Your account will be billed a cent or two (or three) for each down-load, and it will be automated. This type of content cannot remain free forever.

Free, rarely relates to quality.

Cheers

BH
Creator of the famous "Floating Match On Card" illusion.
WOWBOUND.COM - INSTANT DOWNLOADS

Alain Roy

Postby Alain Roy » January 6th, 2003, 5:38 pm

Will micropayments of a few cents become common place? I like the idea, but I had understood (perhaps wrongly) that the overhead of processing, tracking, and auditing each payment of a few cents wiped out the profit gained.

That said, I haven't followed the subject much lately. Has there been progress on micropayments?

Also, as a consumer, I'm not sure I like the idea of be nickeled-and-dimed to death. I would rather pay the small monthly fee to Mr. Racherbaumer's web site that pay a few cents each time I view a web page.

-alain, who plans to sign up soon.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » January 6th, 2003, 6:10 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
After all sorts of rigamorole to sign in and become a member
If you thought that was a rigamorole, then you should try to get them to delete a stolen description.
Abount a year ago, I managed to get a friend's effect removed, but it took me many, many weeks.

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » January 6th, 2003, 7:00 pm

I like the site. One question... I saw the essay from Eugene Burger is from a Genii issue. Who owns the content after it's published? Genii or Eugene? Just curious how the business works... Thanks

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 7th, 2003, 2:54 pm

Originally posted by Jeff Eline:
I like the site. One question... I saw the essay from Eugene Burger is from a Genii issue. Who owns the content after it's published? Genii or Eugene? Just curious how the business works... Thanks
It will be interesting to see what Richard replies, but typically a magazine publisher buys from a free lance author "1st North American serial rights" -- that is, the right for the first publication in a periodical in North America. A recent decision by the Supreme Court implies that the periodical may republish the periodical containing that article, but not the article as a stand-alone item. In other words, if Genii had a database of online articles, and charged to view them, they would have to reimburse the author some amount. If they sold access by a whole issue of the magazine, rather than by article, probably not. If Kaufman published a "Best of Genii" book, then he would have to renegotiate payment.

This all presumes that when an author sells an article to Genii (or any magazine, for that matter), there is no contract that specifies anything else. The original deal may spell out a negotiation for more rights than above, or it may be for "work for hire", in which case the publisher buys everything, all rights in perpetuity, even for media which haven't been invented yet.

Do an internet search for NY Times vs. Tasini for some background on how online databases of periodicals have been turned on their heads.

Postby Guest » January 17th, 2003, 8:35 am

The e-zines and good free web pages are a nice little thing to have but they cannot go on for long. As Richard can probably tell you, producing a quality magazine is not cheap. Even if the printing costs are no longer in the equation the main costs will come from the content, after all that it was makes a publication.

I have not yet understood the business plan of many e-zines. Why not put a price on them? And why not sell advertisements?
I also can't understand why people are against advertisemnts, they are the ones keeping the cover price down.

Micro-Payments could be an answer but it will not work. The cost is high and it would be almost impossible to have foreign subscribers. The banks will not reach in an agreement with each other.

My humble opinion is that these now free e-zines should not be supported as they are hurting the real publishers. I support anyone who will come up with a new publication but I would like to pay for it.

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » January 17th, 2003, 11:22 am

"Free E-zines should not be supported because they are hurting the real publishers" ?

Do you really think so ? Surely if a publisher wants to charge for what he sells, he has to make it good enough for people to want to buy. If there are E-zines out there with good material in then publishers who wish to make a profit need to ensure the material they sell is even better. We win.

If the publishers cannot do better than the E-zines then the E-zines are obviously all we need anyway. We win.

Jamie.

Postby Guest » January 18th, 2003, 2:55 am

I do see where you're coming from. My family owns a media company so we have been thinking about these issues quite a lot.

However, I think there are too many ways in magic to rip off someone's else routine or method. Change it a little bit and publish as your own. And if the people are doing e-zines without getting paid they can do them as hobby for a couple of years, but what happens after 5 years? The best way for us to ensure quality publications in the future is to pay for them now.

So even if the quality of free publications is good, hown long can we expect that to continue?

If I would like to start publishing and would have big enough bankroll I would start making free publications too. I would get my money back when all the competitors are gone.

Postby Guest » January 18th, 2003, 1:39 pm

Steve Bryant writes: ". . . anything that gets the grammar and spelling right can't be all bad. . ."

That intrigued me, having seen reams and reams of bad grammar and worse spelling in my time.

So I checked out the e-zine and found the phrase: "the providence of the charlatan".

The writer meant "the province of the charlatan".

But that's a pretty big clanger for somebody to miss!

So I'm still waiting for an e-zine that gets the grammar and the spelling right!

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » January 18th, 2003, 2:31 pm

But that's a pretty big clanger for somebody to miss!
Well, unless there's some play on words that I'm not seeing or a foreign spelling that I'm not aware of, Artefact should be spelled with an "I" not an "E". Now THAT'S a clanger! :D

Frank Yuen

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » January 20th, 2003, 3:48 pm

'Artefact' is a valid variation of 'Artifact'.

Nice try though ;-)

Jamie.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » January 20th, 2003, 5:36 pm

That's what I get for not getting out a "real" dictionary. Actually, I was just trying to pad my post count so that I could get to 100! Whoo hoo! :D

Frank Yuen

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2003, 5:22 pm

Very interesting.

Paul

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2003, 9:21 am

I think the issue of proper spelling sometimes gets out of hand. I understand as a former ad - specialty printer, that any object or publication should have the spelling proofed and corrected as needed. However, I have seen people post to correct the spelling of anothers post.
Is this not being a bit fastidious?

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2003, 9:46 am

Mr. Rominski [correct spelling, Romiski]:

It should be "another's."
Is this not being a bit fastidious?
Yes.

--Randy Campbell

Postby Guest » March 25th, 2003, 3:57 am

Mr. Campbell,
I will be the first to admit that my punctuation could use some work.
Ironically enough, It should be "Romiski" (no "n")

magicpirate82

Postby magicpirate82 » April 11th, 2003, 11:01 pm

Anyone else having trouble getting back to this site? I had no problem several days ago, in fact I ordered one of the videos, but can't seem to reconnect now. (And still waiting on the video too!)
:confused:

magicpirate82

Postby magicpirate82 » April 12th, 2003, 9:05 am

Just an update, looks like this operation has pulled up stakes and got out of town. Website down (apparently) and now an email of mine returned as "user unknown" when I inquired about my order that has not shown.

Hmmmmm.............

:mad:

Return to “Link Watch”