Extreme Show Off - online video

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Extreme Show Off - online video

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2005, 11:09 pm

Re: Extreme Show Off - online video

Postby Guest » June 1st, 2005, 11:14 pm

hey bro,,

any more of these kool showoff vids??

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 2nd, 2005, 5:35 am

Originally posted by Kjellstrom:
Harwin presents:
Blurring the line...
Between someone people walk away from at parties and someone people just want to hit with a baseball bat.

Clearly a frustrated juggler.

Where is the magic?

Postby Guest » June 5th, 2005, 9:12 am

You have to appreciate the skill, though!

Ben S

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 5th, 2005, 12:43 pm

I admire that he's obviously spent a lot of time and effort to make even juggling dull.

Terry Screen

Postby Terry Screen » June 5th, 2005, 12:48 pm

Just to give a little background on 'Harwin', or to give him his real name Jonas Haglund. . .
He is still a very young man and although his forte is flourishing, at which he is just superb, he can certainly cut it when it comes to straight out Card Magic.
He mostly frequents flourishing fora, most notably the Buck twins site, but he has many performances on video scattered amongst various magic sites on the Web.Don't pass 'em by if you come across them. I've yet to see a bad one from him. This guy has talent and is very creative too.
One to watch.
(Did I type it right Jonas?? :rolleyes: )

Later . .

Ter.
Keep passing the open windows.

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » June 5th, 2005, 2:28 pm

Isn't card flourishing like that in the same category as Cup Stacking? And about as interesting?

Sorry....not my bag!!

He has obviously put in a lot of time practicing, but.....

Adrian

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » June 5th, 2005, 9:04 pm

Simply put, what he does is interesting to people who are interested in that sort of thing. The real question is: Can he hold and entertain an audience of people who aren't interested in card flourishes? Can he entertain people with that and will they pay him to?

Some jugglers are highly proficient technically, yet are a bore to watch. Then there are those who have marvelous personalities and are a delight. I remember Charles "Oh Boy" Carrier, husband of Dell O'Dell, who was a fine entertainer.

And then there was that juggler who headlined on Broadway...demanded his name above his producer's. He was William Claude Dukenfield - a HUGE star before he went to Hollywood....a juggler with a personality...which is what it's all about.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » June 5th, 2005, 10:17 pm

Originally posted by David Alexander:
And then there was that juggler who headlined on Broadway...demanded his name above his producer's. He was William Claude Dukenfield - a HUGE star before he went to Hollywood....a juggler with a personality...which is what it's all about.
You can see a video clip of William Claude doing his seminal box juggling routine at the Magic Castle, next to the bar outside of the Peller Theater/Library.

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2005, 6:59 am

I once heard a juggler say, to an an audience loaded with magicians, (a benefit) that magicians can pretend to have skill, but jugglers have to have actual skill.

I found that amusing. It's true, too.

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2005, 3:33 pm

Am I supposed to remember the guy, his hands or his crotch? Somone should warn us before downloading this stuff.

*Spoiler Alert*
Be prepared for the Xtreme manipulations of...I'm sorry we never see the guys face but apparently wears dark button fly's...

Bring it up off the lap guys

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » June 6th, 2005, 11:40 pm

Originally posted by James in Toronto:
I once heard a juggler say, to an an audience loaded with magicians, (a benefit) that magicians can pretend to have skill, but jugglers have to have actual skill.

I found that amusing. It's true, too.
Well...no. It's not true. Magicians who know what they are doing have skills that jugglers do not understand. A juggler's skill is obvious while the magician's is covert, hidden.

The magician's skill resides in his ability to create an illusion of skill or ability or the power to alter Nature's processes. This is no less a skill (and in many ways far more difficult and time consuming to develop) than a juggler who can practice, by himself, in a room without people present. A magician who creates illusions in the minds of his audiences needs people to practice on.

For example - Dunninger's skill was not in his ability to steal billets when no one was looking, but in his ability to manipulate his audience's minds so that they believed he could read minds.

Maurice Fogel did the same thing with a simple billet switch and a strong presentation.

I believe the skills of the experienced magician are of a higher order than someone who exhibits a highly developed manual dexterity.

Postby Guest » June 7th, 2005, 8:06 am

This young man has obviously put a lot of time and effort into his manip work (and the vid production.) I, for one, found Harwin's vid to be creative & entertaining... well worth the time to download and watch.

I'll echo mr. Green's comments above... I've also seen some of Harwin's magi-work; He's accomplished at both juggling and the (majority-preffered) magishing.

Regardless of my opinion...

Here's a thought: In the future, when posting vid-links, you might want to include a summary of the content (so those who find flouri-stuff to be a time waster can just gloss it over.)

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2005, 6:15 pm

Hey!

Just found this one, man this video is everywhere. :p

I perform mostly flourishes online, and magic in real life, I usually find magic to be boring to watch online, especially without presentation as it would be for me as my audio codec really hates Windows movie maker, hence me making flourish videos mostly.

Apparently you CAN entertain laymen and anyone with this kind of stuff, i did not believe it myself at first, but i have seen live performances of this, and it is possible, hehe. But then they use presentation, just like in Magic.

If you want to see magic videos of mine, just ask and i will put a few ones up (But i warn you, i only have videos of short visual routines, i dont want to bore the crap out of people.)

Return to “Link Watch”