Long Tack Sam documentary

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Brad Henderson

Long Tack Sam documentary

Postby Brad Henderson » March 20th, 2004, 10:55 am

Sorry for the short notice. Saturday 1:30 pm CST, Sundance channel. I am sure they will reair it.

Brad

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Long Tack Sam documentary

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 20th, 2004, 4:34 pm

I enjoyed this film very much. It has quite a few recognizable faces in it but most importantly gives us a look (a very personal one) into the life of one of the greats of magic's history. According to the Long Tack Sam website ( http://www.longtacksam.com/ ), the film will air again on Sundance on 3/23, 3/28 and 3/31. More information can be found on the website, but be sure to check for your local airtimes.

Thanks Brad!
Dustin

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » December 30th, 2022, 1:55 pm

Streaming Free on Canada’s NFB Website
https://www.nfb.ca/film/the_magical_life_of_long_tack_sam/

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » December 30th, 2022, 5:48 pm

Thanks for posting that. It was an amazing documentary of a long lived and very hard working man who lived during most trying times.

Diego

Postby Diego » December 30th, 2022, 6:27 pm

Well worth watching more than once. A journey of discovery for the film maker, (the granddaughter) as well as the audience, as she learns of the worlds and times her family lived in, in venues and genres that don't exist.
"Your grandfather was a BIG star in vaudeville."
"What's vaudeville?"

Very valuable that she started on this 25+ years ago, going around the world, interviewing many who are no longer with us, but were there for her to rescue her family's history.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » December 30th, 2022, 7:05 pm

The great granddaughter also published a graphic memoir, which looks and reads like a graphic novel, one of the most unique magic books I own.
You can find it here.

Diego

Postby Diego » December 30th, 2022, 9:32 pm

The book and documentary are by the same person who is either (I thought) the granddaughter or great granddaughter.)

kkelly

Postby kkelly » December 31st, 2022, 8:52 am

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » December 31st, 2022, 10:52 am

Diego wrote:The book and documentary are by the same person who is either (I thought) the granddaughter or great granddaughter.)

Yes sir, both the book and documentary reference great granddaughter.

I just viewed the film, very well done.

I like the line at the end - History is relatives.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » December 31st, 2022, 1:09 pm

[ Magic ] history is also about connecting seemingly unrelated dots…
I came across the name of Long Tack Sam in a roundabout way. I was looking through a set of old lecture notes by Charlie Miller for a completely unrelated reason. And towards the end of the notes, he gives his current platform program which includes a six ring routine taught to him by Long Tack Sam (not explained). This new revelation caught me by surprise as I have a “relatively” new manuscript by Jonathan Neal Brown which deals exclusively with 6 rings (his mentor being Charlie Miller). So naturally I wanted to see if there was a write-up of Long Tack Sam’s original routine and compare notes. And that’s how and why an old Genii Forum post got resurrected and bumped up to the present as all I could find was this mention of a documentary. None of this would have interested me one bit if it wasn’t for those damn 10” rings I found last week at the local swap meet for $8 dollars. How can you say no to such an unexpected gift? It’s all “relative” in more ways than one. Now all I need is a hacksaw or access to some bolt cutters.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 31st, 2022, 2:03 pm

Interesting that your link to Sam was the linking rings, Edward. (Great find at the swap meet, BTW). This reminds me that I need to dust off my linking rings which, inexcusably, have been sitting all by their lonesome for years in my magic chest, and reconstruct (or even improve upon) a 3-ring routine that served me quite well for a while at stand-up shows. I should never have listened to the magician friend who, though he never owned a set of rings nor performed them, skeptically declared, "They must know there's an opening. How else could it possibly be done?" I'm kind of ashamed that I let what basically came down to self-doubt dissuade me from continuing to perform a beautiful classic of magic.

Return to “Alternative Media”