Ken Dodd

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Ken Dodd

Postby Guest » December 24th, 2007, 3:48 pm

On this Christmas Eve, in the UK, BBC2 is broadcasting an evening of entertainment featuring non other than British Comedy Legend Ken Dodd, who celebrated his 80th birthday this year.
It goes without saying that Doddy is well known throughout the UK and will also be familiar to those who attend the Blackpool Magic Convention each year.
It's fair to say that Ken's comedy style is firmly rooted in the category of traditional British 'seaside' humour (Oooh Missus!) however he still fills theatres up and down the country (and has been known to entertain audiences for hours on end - "you'll always go home in daylight!").
For those who attend the Blackpool Convention from across 'the Pond', I'd be interested to hear your views on Ken, based on what you've seen of his annual spot on the Gala Show when 'says a few words' before awarding the prizes.

Cheers

Andrew

***Merry Christmas to all Genii Forum members***

Re: Ken Dodd

Postby Guest » December 24th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Didn't he have a radio show at one time?

I ask, not just because I'm from Canada, but I believe my Father once gave me a tape of a Ken Dodd radio show.
If it's the same guy then yes, I remember fondly. Just one show but so many laughs.

Gord

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 24th, 2007, 7:16 pm

Seeing Ken Dodd is a strange experience for an American.

Having seen Ken Dodd several times on stage at the Winter Garden in Blackpool, I can honestly say that I only understand about two-thirds of what he says. One third of the part I do hear is funny, and the other third is a complete mystery.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 24th, 2007, 9:42 pm

Those wishing to partake of the mystery that is Ken Dodd to Americans may find him on YouTube. No simultaneous translations are provided. ;)

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » December 25th, 2007, 4:56 am

Huh. That wasn't so hard. I got just about all of that. (I listened to a clip about the Englishman, Scotsman and Irishman.)

Postby Guest » December 25th, 2007, 5:53 am

ken dodd is a living legend, at 80 he's as sharp as ever.

england has produced some great comics, stan laurel, charlie chaplin, morecombe and wise etc. ken dodd is up there with the best.

dont miss him if you go to blackpool.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 25th, 2007, 7:02 am

He's still on stage from last year...

Take care, Ian

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 25th, 2007, 12:09 pm

Has he had his teeth straightened yet?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 25th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Ken Dodd is just terrific! Watched him on TV many times when in the UK, and on two occasions have seen his full-evening show. Both occasions with Amy and Eddie Dawes, and Eddie once arranged a visit with Doddy backstage after the show. Pat and I both found him funny as hell, and a very pleasant chap to meet. As to 'understanding,' him; well, I can see why some Americans would have a bit of a problem. Remember, however, he's a 'Northern' comedian, and even puzzles some of the folk from the southern UK. I never found it a problem. I say Hooray for K.D., and hope some day to be able to see him in person again.

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » December 26th, 2007, 11:07 am

Originally posted by brian ovens:
[QB] england has produced some great comics, stan laurel, charlie chaplin, morecombe and wise
Jonathan Miller, Peter Cooke, Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry...
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 26th, 2007, 12:00 pm

Lest not forget the GOONS, Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore, Tommy Cooper, Paul Daniels
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 26th, 2007, 12:01 pm

Mrs. Shufflewick!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 26th, 2007, 12:27 pm

I understand Bob Hope was also born in England.

Must also mention one of my fellow Scotsmen, Billy Connolly - who has also had a modicum of success in the US.

And Pete, with regard to the standard of Ken's dentistry - I'm afraid his teeth are all still queueing up to get to the front.

Cheers

Andrew

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » December 26th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Mike Myers would watch Billy Connolly videos on the set of Austin Powers before he did Fat B*****D
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"

P. Townshend

Postby Guest » December 26th, 2007, 3:44 pm

billy connolly is a genius, he can make you laugh at anything. only stan laurel and charlie chaplin are in his league. totally differnt i know, but connolly has been writing material for over 40 years.

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2007, 8:19 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Mrs. Shufflewick!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aPete, I gather this recently published book on Rex, is very good.
Its got reviews from everybody who ever saw Mrs shufflewick at work.

mrs shufflewick book

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2007, 8:22 am

The ken Dodd shows were the perfect way to start my christmas.
that, some nice cheese and pickles, and a couple of good whiskeys. :)

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2008, 2:40 am

Ken had to cancel 2 shows this week, as he had to go in to hospital for a minor hernia operation.
all went well, and heel be up to full strength shortly.

Return to “Alternative Media”