Steve Dusheck interview (mp3)

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Steve Dusheck interview (mp3)

Postby Guest » June 9th, 2007, 3:29 pm

Steve Dusheck is one of those guys in magic that I feel is under-rated. Those who don't know him, don't know what they are missing.

Every once and awhile you see others performing Steve's tricks, like Vinny's recent CoinCard routine on YouTube.

So here's a chance to listen to Steve and find out what goes on in his mind, how he creates so much and some thoughts on magic and the direction it is going today.

Listen in iTunes

I hope you like it! (This is a link to iTunes. There is also a version on my website if you don't have iTunes).

Enjoy it!

Scott

Re: Steve Dusheck interview (mp3)

Postby Guest » June 9th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Thank you Scott.

I believe Coin/Card and Wonderbar were the first two tricks I ever ordered through the mail.

VIVA Dusheck!! :whack:

Postby Guest » June 10th, 2007, 8:46 am

Wonderbar was my first exposure to Steve's work. I didn't get to see CoinCard until years later when working with Tony (a good friend of Steve's) up at Caesar's.

Have you seen any of his business card magic tricks?

Scott

Postby Guest » June 10th, 2007, 9:04 am

for those of us who don't have itunes...

can we get a link to the mp3 sourcefile?

Postby Guest » June 10th, 2007, 9:54 am

Martin Kaplan

Postby Martin Kaplan » June 10th, 2007, 11:04 am

I purchased Steve's business card manuscripts in February of last year and I can attest to the brilliance of the ideas contained therein. The effects are all very commercial and, above all, they are entertaining and can easily be personalized for any number of events or occasions. Steve sells a number of ready made effects, but his book explains how you too can create your own effects using the principles he describes. I probably have 50 or more effects using Steve's ideas and since most of them work on the same principle, there is no problem remembering the moves for each effect. The moves are the same for every UPCT effect of his. Steve's ideas for giveaway cards are ingenious. They involve effects that anyone can do once you have explained the "trick." These are cards that people will keep and carry around with them. If you have an ounce of imagination and creativity the small sum you invest in Steve's manuscripts will turn out to be one of the best investments you have made in magic.

-Marty

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2007, 7:14 am

Sorry Jonathan! That's my fault. I forgot to add that link to the mp3 file. Frank, thanks for linking to it for everyone. I appreciate that.

Marty, that's great to hear. That is one thing I really enjoyed hearing Steve talk about was creativity. Steve's comments reinforced and complemented Denny's interview (I interviewed him a few weeks ago and he discussed creativity in magic, also).

Scott

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » June 11th, 2007, 9:52 pm

Whoa! What? How can I read lips from all kind of speakers? I like to read the interview because I am deaf! I will be very pleased if you (one of you) willing to write (typing) what they are saying. You can send this to me via e mail.
Majikmaninga@aol.com

Thanks!

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2007, 11:36 pm

Richard,

I'm a bit swamped for time currently, but I will look into different options and will see what I can do. The interview runs for close to an hour.

Scott

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 2:47 am

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... tnG=Search

There is alot of software that will automatically convert the mp3 to a text file.

I have no idea if they are any good, but there seems to be alot of them.

HTH

Damian

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 3:45 am

That Google search throws up myriad resources for converting text to voice. But not the reverse. (Though I might have missed them, of course.)

Dave

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 3:52 am

Here is one from that list

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best ... -text.html

Seems to do what you want.

HTH

Damian

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 4:11 am

I'm afraid that Dragon and products like it won't work very well in this case: it expects the recording to be of an already-trained voice, from a head-set microphone in a quiet room...

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 4:17 am

I was only trying to help!

:)

And I know some of these products *do* work as companies are using them for meta tagging video files to enable video search via text.

That could be proprietary though.

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 4:33 am

In this instance, I'm glad to be proven wrong (yet again).

Dave

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 5:00 am

Hardly wrong! I am not offering a link to this video -> speech thing, am I!!!

I just know you *can* do it :)

So it's not that useful really :D

Damian

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 6:17 am

"Hardly wrong!"

I was wrong in that I averred that your search hadn't found what was required. That's all that I meant.

Dave

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 6:41 am

Any suggestions for a software tool to transcribe the file to help out the deaf members of this community?

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 7:41 am

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! Up until Richard's request and my searches (and all of your help) I hadn't even been aware of this technology.

I found a few places that use an organic computer (aka human) to transcribe from an mp3. Though I love technology, I think I might just go with this human method, as it seems to be the most accurate and the rates are not too expensive.

Scott

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 7:56 am

Three Easy Steps:

1) Initiate an international telephone call.

2) Play the mp3 over the phone.

3) File a Freedom Of Information Act request with the National Security Agency to recover transcripts of your illegally surveilled telephone calls.

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 8:28 am

Just a quick update.

I hired someone who does transcriptions from mp3s and they said it would be 24-48 hours until it is transcribed.

If you can hold tight for a day or two, I'll get that up on the website as soon as I receive it from them. I'll also post a link here.

Thanks so much for your patience!

Scott

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2007, 7:43 am

Thanks everyone for being patient regarding the transcript. I received the transcript today and uploaded it to the site.

I placed a link to the transcript at the bottom of the show notes:

http://www.reelsinmotion.tv/magiclantern012

Thanks again!

Scott

Return to “Alternative Media”