Magic and the Matrix movies...

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Jim Maloney_dup1

Magic and the Matrix movies...

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 7th, 2003, 11:29 am

Hey all,
Here's a quote for you folks to ponder. It comes from the current issue of Wired magazine, where there's an in-depth article on the visual effects that are used (and in fact, invented for) the Matrix trilogy. The first Matrix is one of the most visually stunning movies in recent memory (Moulin Rouge is also up there), and the next two movies promise to be even better. The article is really fascinating -- I'd recommend anyone here read it. Anyway, here's a quote I found particularly interesting in terms of magic.

"People get really preoccupied with, 'Are you giong to top yourselves this time? Are you really gonna come up with a zinger?'" (special effects supervisor John) Gaeta tells me. "My job has nothing to do with making zingers. The point is not to knock you over with a visual trick. The point is to be able to construct events that are so complex, in terms of what human bodies need to do, that the total 'effect' is impossible choreography. 'My God! It look real, but it just can't be.'"
Think about it.

-Jim

Return to “Alternative Media”