Battle of Magicians was gatecrashed!!

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
John McDonald

Battle of Magicians was gatecrashed!!

Postby John McDonald » January 13th, 2008, 1:56 am

A comedian from Channel 4 last year gatecrashed the "Battle of Magicians" convention in Ohio! He must have been good as he got placed. The tv series aims to gatecrash and perform at artistic conventions.

Info below from Duncan Trillo!!
The Convention Crasher
10pm on Thursday 17th January (1 hour 5 minutes) on Channel 4.

Justin Lee Collins is The Convention Crasher. In the first episode of a new three-part series, funny man Justin Lee Collins crashes a magic convention in Canton, Ohio. He has just four weeks to transform himself into a master illusionist good enough to compete against the magicians in the convention's "Battle of the Magicians" competition. Can Justin pull off Houdini's classic 'Metamorphosis' in front of an audience of professional magicians, or will he end up all in a flap? (MagicWeek can reveal that he does get placed!)
Best John

Re: Battle of Magicians was gatecrashed!!

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2008, 5:12 am

Justin Lee Collins is gaining a certain degree of ubiquity on British TV at present - he is currently co-presenter of the Friday Night Project and was the presenter of the 'Bring Back...documentary series (Dallas, The 'A' Team etc),where the premise involved him tracking down the creators of old tv series and attempting to convince them to (yes, you guessed it) bring them back.
His distinctive accent is also bringing him a fair bit of voiceover work on British TV ads (to the point that Sean Bean and John Hannah must be becoming extremely nervous!)

Cheers

Andrew

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2008, 7:55 pm

I was at the Battle this past May when they filmed that episode. I have not seen it, obviously here in the US.

I can tell you, that whereever he and his group went in the convention, he stood out as a rather unique individual... and to stand out among a group of hundreds of strange magicians... as we all are... is a feat in itself :)

We didn't know the name of the show was Gate Crashers. I'm not sure what that means or how they conveyed his visit on the show. If they implyed he was secretly trying to infiltrate the convention, that is just made up.

He and his crew were introduced at the beginning and everyone knew they were filming a reality show and he was not a professional magician. I don't really recall much about his act, other than it was, well, a beginner's act with some standard stage illusions. I believe his choice of costuming and stage movements raised quite a few eyebrows. They were not really sure if he was serious, trying to be comedic, or condescending to the crowd. I'm not certain either.

I'd love to see the finished show, however, if there is an online link.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2008, 10:51 am

Originally posted by Nicholas Carifo:
I was at the Battle this past May when they filmed that episode. I have not seen it, obviously here in the US.

I can tell you, that whereever he and his group went in the convention, he stood out as a rather unique individual... and to stand out among a group of hundreds of strange magicians... as we all are... is a feat in itself :)

We didn't know the name of the show was Gate Crashers. I'm not sure what that means or how they conveyed his visit on the show. If they implyed he was secretly trying to infiltrate the convention, that is just made up.

He and his crew were introduced at the beginning and everyone knew they were filming a reality show and he was not a professional magician. I don't really recall much about his act, other than it was, well, a beginner's act with some standard stage illusions. I believe his choice of costuming and stage movements raised quite a few eyebrows. They were not really sure if he was serious, trying to be comedic, or condescending to the crowd. I'm not certain either.

I'd love to see the finished show, however, if there is an online link.
A faked reality tv show? Surely not?

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » January 15th, 2008, 11:05 am

Intersting, It goes out on Thursday on Channel 4 in the Uk - a lot of people are really looking forward to it.

He is a very popular comedien and like you say he stands out from the crowd so I wasn't surprised he was placed as he is very entertaining. The thing about his comedy it is not condescending. He went on a mission to find the A team and met up with most of the cast. He was gentle and full of admiration for the show - he just lets things be.

I imagine you would like the result. I will let you know.
Best John

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » January 17th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programme just aired on Channel 4 in the Uk. I will post while it is still fresh in my memory.

I really enjoyed it and it was a breath of fresh air to have someone on telly that was not into exposure- in fact positively against!

Justin Lee Collins was funny, humble and shared how he loved magic.

The show started with a video of the Pendragons Metamporphosis - an illusion that he loved watching as a kid.

He then met Scott Penrose at the Magic Circle HQ.

HE met with Pete Firman at Alakazam Magic and spent 236, buying amongst other things a dove pan and Wizard PK ring. He shared his disapointment at his new toys - feeling disapointed in his purchases. Guess we have all been there.

He then met Jonathon Goodwin escapologist and was introduced to the sub trunk although he soon found out he suffered with clautrophobia!!!! Funny!

He chose his stage name Justin Illusion as he mastered his act with Richard Caddell from Sooty fame ( a TV puppet) Again the no exposure thing was mentioned by Richard and Justin respected that. He began to set up an act including metamprphosis, knife thru arm, shadow box, fire cage.

He met up with Fielding West who came over well.

He competed and came third. It was an enjoyable show.

It was gentle, feel good and put magicians conventions in a good light. Well done Justin!!
Best John

AJM

Postby AJM » January 18th, 2008, 1:42 pm

I agree - the show was very well done and it was obvious that Justin Lee Collins had enjoyed watching magic as a child.

Next week he takes on ventriloquism.....

(Which reminds me of Ken Dodd's vent act where he asks the dummy whether he would like:

a Big Bottle of Brown Beer and a Piece of Brown Bread and Butter

or

a shandy

you can guess which one the dummy chooses......)

Cheers

Andrew

Return to “Alternative Media”