Art Question

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Art Question

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2005, 4:40 pm

I was working on a new mailer for next year using clip art and text on power point, all that good stuff that put lots of artist out of business. I looked at the end result and though servicable it had no artistic warmth, it was cold. My brother was, prior to an accident and his decision that being a drunk was the way to go, was one of the top graphic artist on the West Coast and he use to do the hand bills for the concerts in the 60s and 70s, all that good stuff. I say this because I want you to know I've been around this type of art all my life. My question is are you folks happy with what you get off your computers or do you prefer the hand lettering and work that only a graphic artist can do? I have to say that the hand beats the computer from what I've seen.
Steve V

Dan Smith

Re: Art Question

Postby Dan Smith » December 23rd, 2005, 5:57 pm

I'm not visually artistic so using a computer allows me to create artwork better and faster than I could by hand lettering, but it's still a far cry from what a good artist can do regardless of whether they use a computer or not.

Computers have increased the number of people creating "art," but it has not helped teach better aesthetics. Heck, just look at the world wide web to see an explosion of content with little attention paid to being visually pleasing, easy to read, effective, etc.

Dan

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 23rd, 2005, 8:09 pm

Originally posted by Steve V':
My question is are you folks happy with what you get off your computers or do you prefer the hand lettering and work that only a graphic artist can do? I have to say that the hand beats the computer from what I've seen.
Computers and the hand are not exclusive. Drawing tablet technology is very good. I was in advertising for 12 years and I've worked with a couple dozen graphic artists, all of whom were good and a few of whom were excellent, and every one of them uses a computer.

If you want to improve your own designs (hear hear) I'd recommend the Non-Designer's Design Book (and the Non-Designer's Type Book) by Robin Williams. I've just been reading them since I've begun laying out Scripiting Magic, and I'd say they're just right for someone whose ability to recognize a good design is more advanced than their ability to create one (like me).

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2005, 9:06 pm

My brother uses a computer as well as paper, more so a computer for prof. jobs. I just was thinking the computer takes away the lines that make it unique.
Steve V

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2005, 2:29 pm

I'm basicly an engineer.
I was doing some design for CD's and used the art kit that comes with the labels. It took me about 1 hour to learn the tool and make some labels. At first they were awful. I cut back on the fancy stuff, limited my use of the fancy fonts and added just a dash of color.

My best friend happend to be a graphic artitist. I have seen some of his work and I have always thought it spectacular. I showed him my first piece. I was suprised.

He said that my work looked like it came from a professional house. He said that is what he would expect if he had hired someone known to do it.
I was pleased.

I have heard artitsts talk about computers. To most it is just another media.

My supciision is that it depends upon what you use. I know people rave about Power Point. I just don't get it. To me its as dumb as a rock. Oh, well.
Al Schneider

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » December 31st, 2005, 9:24 pm

A computer is a tool...a highly efficient tool, but a tool nonetheless. The quality of its output depends on the quality of the input. A good artist can produce quality work. Someone with less talent, skills, experience, and esthetic sense will produce lesser quality work. There's no getting around that.

Return to “Alternative Media”