Old tricks appeal in a high-tech age

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Jeff Eline

Old tricks appeal in a high-tech age

Postby Jeff Eline » November 5th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Article in the Baltimore Sun about a resurgence in magic.

Re: Old tricks appeal in a high-tech age

Postby Guest » November 5th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Nice article, but who is David Hemmings?

Gord

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2006, 6:28 am

Originally posted by Gord Gardiner:
Nice article, but who is David Hemmings?

Gord
The only one that springs to my mind Gord, was the British actor/director David Hemmings though why he would be mentioned so prominently in that article befuddles me. Great word that . . 'article'.
Seems to me the author copied and pasted the wrong name into his text.
In saying that, Hemmings was a member of the Magic Circle and did enjoy performing magic. He also played some roles with (rather tenuous) magical links.
If there's any other David Hemmings out there who's famous for being a magician, I've yet to hear of 'im. That doesn't go for much though.

Regards . .

Afterthought . . the name the guy was probably after was Doug Henning perhaps? Pretty hard to confuse the two though.

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » November 6th, 2006, 8:40 am

He pretty much has to have meant Doug Henning. The name was mentioned in a series of very famous North American magicians; Henning was the necessary precursor to DC.

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » November 6th, 2006, 10:37 am

Who's next on the list... David Angel?

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2006, 4:25 pm

If I'm not mistaken Hemmings was /is a magician from Great Britain and wrote several magic books for the trade, at least two that I know of personally.. Unfortunately I no longer have them in my files and I can't recall the titles. I think I purchased them from UNIQUE MAGIC in England..

All the best,
John Smetana

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » November 6th, 2006, 4:38 pm

I sent an email to the reporter who wrote the piece, and he got back to me. He said he did in fact mean Doug Henning. Said he was going to publish a correction, although as I write this it's still wrong.

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Pretty sad that Henning seems to be fading from the public consciousness. I was watching Anderson Cooper the other night and he mentioned Doug Henning -- I don't recall exactly in what context -- and the young female corespondent he was talking to had no clue who Henning was. He had them bring up a Henning picture, but she didn't recognize him at all. Understandable, I guess when you remember his last big special was in the early eighties.

He was something back in the day.

Man I feel old.

Return to “Alternative Media”