Ricky Jay Plays Poker

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Ricky Jay Plays Poker

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2006, 5:11 pm

For those wondering about details for "Ricky Jay Plays Poker," I googled around and found the below press release at prnewswire.com.

Note that beyond the music CD, the Deluxe edition includes a DVD of Ricky doing poker pieces, an annotated booklet and a Ricky Jay-imprinted deck of cards. Amazon currently has no entry for the Deluxe edition, but I found it available for pre-order here: Deluxe pre-order

Octone/Legacy/RCA Music Group Set to Release 'Ricky Jay Plays Poker'

One of the World's Foremost Sleight-of-Hand Artists Compiles Rich Amalgam of Songs to Shuffle By

'Ricky Jay Plays Poker' Deluxe Edition Includes CD of 21 Top-Draw Card-Playing Songs + DVD of Ricky Jay Discussing Poker Moves + Book Featuring Song Annotations & Essays By Ricky Jay + Sealed Deck of Ricky Jay Playing Cards

In Stores Tuesday, November 21, 2006

NEW YORK, Sept. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Ricky Jay, the world-renowned sleight- of-hand expert, author, actor, historian and consultant, has personally compiled 21 of his all-time favorite card-playing songs -- "a mix of blues, folk, calypso, country, R&B, techno, rap, gospel" -- on "Ricky Jay Plays Poker," in stores Tuesday, November 21, 2006.

"Mercifully you will not hear me sing on any of these tracks," writes Ricky Jay in his extensive liner notes (which include essays on poker and song-by-song annotations), "thus I am able to bet my entire stack that you will enjoy the tunes I've selected ...."

Ricky's perfect hand includes:

1. DARKTOWN POKER CLUB - Phil Harris and his Orchestra
2. RAMBLIN' GAMBLIN' WILLIE - Bob Dylan
3. TURN THE CARDS SLOWLY - Patsy Cline
4. FIVE CARD STUD - Lorne Greene
5. DON'T TURN THE CARD - Memphis Minnie
6. POLITICS AND POKER - Howard Da Silva
7. ACE IN THE HOLE - Anita O'Day
8. LITTLE QUEEN OF SPADES - Robert Johnson
9. ETIENNE GONNA DIE - Saint Etienne
10. MR. MUDD AND MR. GOLD - Townes Van Zandt
11. POKER PLAYING BABY - Harry Willis
12. GAMBLER'S GUITAR - Merle Travis
13. DARKTOWN POKER CLUB - Bert Williams
14. DOLAN'S POKER PARTY - Frank Crumit
15. POKER WOMAN BLUES - Blind Blake
16. WILD CARD - Tex Williams
17. ACE OF SPADES - O. V. Wright
18. ROVING GAMBLER - The Country Gentlemen
19. BED SPRING POKER - Mississippi Sheiks
20. ACE IN THE HOLE - Dave Van Ronk
21. POLITICS AND POKER (reprise) - Howard Da Silva

The deluxe edition of "Ricky Jay Plays Poker" comes with an exclusive DVD giving viewers a ringside seat at Ricky's poker table as the master demonstrates some tricks of the trade, showing why, in this golden age of poker resurgence, he refuses to participate in celebrity matches. "In my grandfather's words," says Ricky. "'If I win they'll think I'm cheating and if I lose they'll think I'm a bad magician.'"

Ricky Jay has written several essays on the historical, political, and aesthetic aspects of poker, as well as full explications of his song selection in the book included in the deluxe edition of "Ricky Jay Plays Poker."

"Shuffling and manipulating cards to the sounds of R&B hits are among my few vivid memories of childhood," he writes. "Even though I had some chops with the pasteboards at that early age, my first poker pleasure came from watching the great Phil Silvers as Sgt. Bilko delightfully fleecing the boys in the barracks at Fort Baxter. To this day I still love to listen to 'Good Beats' with a pack of cards in my hands."

In addition to the CD, DVD, and annotated book, the deluxe version of "Ricky Jay Plays Poker" comes with a special edition deck of Ricky Jay playing cards. (A CD-only version of "Ricky Jay Plays Poker" will also be available on November 21.)

Over the years, Ricky Jay has been closely associated with the American playwright David Mamet. Ricky's one-man shows, the Obie-winning "Ricky Jay & His 52 Assistants," and "Ricky Jay: On the Stem," were directed by Mamet, who cast Ricky in "House of Games," "Homicide," "Things Change," "Spanish Prisoner," "State and Main," and "Heist." Ricky Jay may also be seen in many other films including "Boogie Nights," "Magnolia," and the James Bond film, "Tomorrow Never Dies." Ricky Jay starred in the heralded episode of the X- Files, "The Great Maleeni," and ran the faro, craps, and poker tables at the Bella Union saloon in the HBO hit television series "Deadwood."

He has written and hosted his own television specials for CBS, HBO, and the BBC, and was the host and narrator of the first documentary mini- series on conjuring, "The Story of Magic," for the A&E network. He presented of a series of films on con games for Turner Classic Movies and in March of 2003 he debuted as a weekly essayist on the National Public Radio station, KCRW, in Los Angeles.

Ricky Jay is a founder of the biennial Conference on Magic History and is the former curator of the Mulholland Library of Conjuring and the Allied Arts. He is the author and co-designer of "The Magic Magic Book," an illustrated history of the earliest trick conjuring books, published in the Writers and Artists Series of the Whitney Museum of American Art. His book "Jay's Journal of Anomalies," based on his fine press periodical of the same name, was recently named one of the "Notable Books of the Year" by the New York Times and one of the "Best Books of the Year" by the Los Angeles Times. His most recent book, with photographs by Rosamond Purcell, is "Dice: Deception, Fate & Rotten Luck."

Ricky Jay's consulting firm, Deceptive Practices, has provided expertise on projects as diverse as the film "Forrest Gump" and the Broadway production of "Angels in America: Perestroika." He was a consultant on the Devices of Wonder exhibition at the J. Paul Getty Museum, and was the guest curator for an exhibition on conjuring at the Harvard Theatre Collection.

http://www.legacyrecordings.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Ricky Jay Plays Poker

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 8th, 2006, 5:25 pm

And note that you can pre-order this item on the Amazon.com button at the top right corner of your page for exactly this title!

:)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2006, 6:01 pm

To avoid potential confusion: The current Genii link is for the bare audio CD, not the deluxe edition with DVD and cards.

I'm sure Richard will add a Genii link for the deluxe edition as soon as Amazon makes it available.

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2006, 7:23 pm

Did I see that right? Is that Lorne Greene doing "Five Card Stud?"
Canada's Lorne Greene?
Bonanza's Lorne Greene?

Now I HAVE to get this CD.

Gord

Postby Guest » October 10th, 2006, 3:59 am

why on earth does sony not ship internationaly?
If anyone finds a link for the delux version, that i might be able to purchase, i'd be obliged. So will many others no doubt. :)

D.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 10th, 2006, 7:58 am

Gee, Ted, I think people would have figured that out on their own once they clicked over and looked at it.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 12th, 2006, 9:25 pm

I just got a note that my copy of the Deluxe Edition of Ricky Jay Plays Poker has been shipped! Anyone else hear about their copy shipping?

Postby Guest » November 12th, 2006, 11:01 pm

Yep, I received notice today as well.

I'd be interested in a description/assessment of it when others receive it, as I'm on the road and won't be able to examine it myself til the weekend...

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2006, 2:53 pm

Richard and Ted: From whom did you order the Ricky Jay Deluxe set. My Amazon "shopping cart" is showing a delivery between Dec 2 and 5th.

Thanks...
Adrian

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 13th, 2006, 4:33 pm

I ordered mine from the Sony link to the deluxe edition, which was posted before Amazon had it listed.
My copy is en route!

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2006, 8:52 pm

Same source here, Adrian.

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2006, 8:44 am

Something's afoot.

Barnes and Noble shows an availability date of February 2007. On the Ricky Jay site, clicking on "Buy it now" brings you to Sony, where "Sorry, requested product is unavailable now" shows.

Hhhmmmmmmm

Adrian

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2006, 8:49 am

I work with some guys that work for Sony records and he just told me that this was pushed back to February 13th. :whack:
Peace, Joe

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 14th, 2006, 9:18 am

It's really strange that we would have received a message saying that the item was shipped!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 14th, 2006, 10:06 am

I also ordered from Sony, but I didn't get any notices at all. I attributed it to my usual run of luck--crappy--and now it appears I'm correct. :(

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2006, 10:11 am

I'm told that changing the availability date happens quite often. Sometimes, like in the case of the DVD release of the movie "Duel", the DVD actually hits the stores on the designated date, only to disappear the next day. It was "released" a year or so later.

Guess we'll have to wait until February. Unless, of course, we all get invited to Richard's house to watch it!!!

Adrian

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 14th, 2006, 10:48 am

Actually, Ricky told me that there was going to be some kind of delay, but he didn't know how long. When I received the notice from Sony saying it had been shipped I was, therefore, surprised!
I guess we'll see in the next few weeks if my copy actually shows up.

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2006, 5:32 pm

From Learned Pigs to a photo-essay on moldy dice to Rickys favorite songs. Is this trend to be celebrated? Perhaps Im the only one to feel this way, but this cd has all the allure of Rod Stewarts latest offering doing cover songs. Maybe Jay cant be faulted for cashing in on his current fame, and perhaps he can be forgiven for assuming that the public at large is interested in his tastes in music, but this project has remainder bin tattooed all over it.

CHS

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Ha! I like magicam's post to a point.
I agree that some people will put out any product they can think of to fleece suckers, but I have almost always found Ricky Jay's offerings to be tip-top.
Then again, I like Ricky Jay. I like his style and general aesthetic. Of course, they can't all be gems, but for my taste, his batting-average is pretty good.

But the question of whether anyone would care about his taste in music, compelled me to mention a "book with c.d. of music" I recently found, and think many of my magic confreres would realyl dig. I am giving about a 1/2 dozen copies to people for Christmas presents. Below is the link at Amazon:

R. Crumb\'s Heroes of Blues, Jazz, & Country

When I am drawing I inevitably play old jazz--Louis Armstrong's Hot Fives and Sevens, Django, Duke Ellington. Nothing has proven to put me in the mood better.

Many if not most of you will know the legendary artist and cartoonist Robert Crumb, formerly of S.F., now of France.
He is a reknowned collector of rare OLD 78 rpm records--he listens to old music for the proper atmosphere when he draws.
During the 80s (I believe it was) he drew several series of trading cards featuring obscure, mostly forgotten bluesmen, early country, and jazz performers, even jug bands that recorded a couple songs once & then vanished into obscurity ever-after...

The above book includes all of his trading card iluustrations, but short biographical notes for each performer, BUT THE TRUE GOLD is the cd that comes with the book.
If you have a love for, a fondness of, or ANY minor interest at ALL in the snappy old music of the 20s, 30's, and even a couple earlier songs, I cannot recommend this collection highly enough.

This post is a disjointed non-sequiter--admittedly--but some of you will get the disc, and you will thank me! No lie! :D

[Edited for link fix. DS]

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 29th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Originally posted by Magicam:
this project has remainder bin tattooed all over it.
Perhaps to some; but the playing cards, book, and DVD certainly don't. Its also possible that the project might expose more people to an eclectic mix of music that they might not otherwise bother to pull out of the remainder bin.

Dustin

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2006, 10:40 pm

Can a moderator please clean up the html link in Castaway Dave's post, so we don't have to play PC tennis?

Thanks

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2006, 10:44 pm

I don't know what that means, but sorry if it caused anyone pain.

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2006, 10:45 pm

Originally posted by DustinStinett:
Originally posted by Magicam:
[b]this project has remainder bin tattooed all over it.
Perhaps to some; but the playing cards, book, and DVD certainly don't.... Dustin [/b]
Sorry, DS, but they certainly do if they've been produced in any sort of commercial quantities. :eek: Those who think that Ricky Jay playing cards are collectible are the same ones who buy that second investment home at the top of the market. CHS

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 29th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Then snatch them up (the deluxe edition with the cards, book, DVD). They'll be on eBay once they cannot be found elsewhere.

Will that make them "rare in commerce"? :D

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Will that make them "rare in commerce"? :D
Ah, so you've found the thread with your name on it! Only time will tell how far magicians and collectors indulge Jay as he strays more and more from his base. C

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2006, 11:16 pm

Cool--I'm in the middle of a feud!

Just so I'm caught-up, who IS Ricky Jay's base?

People throwing cards at the hard, pachydermatous outer melon-layer of watermelons?! Oh baby, I'm on tonight.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 29th, 2006, 11:23 pm

Dave, I am the base!

How many folks do you know who have RJs pre-calligraphy autograph on a playing card no less?

Dustin

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 12:03 am

Yo--In 1979 I was on the track team with a guy name Jimmy Kilpatrick. He knew (as did everybody) that I did magic.

One day at practice Jimmy said to me, "My Dad works for Darien House. This guy named Ricky Jay is coming to sign his new book. Do you want my dad to have him sign a copy for you?"

I said, (gulp) "Yes, thank you".

The very next day he brought to school and gifted me with a crisp, 1st edition of "Cards as Weapons". Still one of my prized possessions.

It was and remains inscribed with a tremendous flourish, "To Jim, Best, Ricky Jay".
My name is Dave.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 1:24 am

Originally posted by castawaydave:
Cool--I'm in the middle of a feud!

Just so I'm caught-up, who IS Ricky Jay's base?

No feud, just me and Dustin having a conversation in public...

Contrary to Dustin's claim, Ricky's "base" consists primarily of a well-funded organization of Ricky fans, named al-Jayda.

Clay

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 4:14 am

I don't know what that means, but sorry if it caused anyone pain.
No serious pain, just a pain in the ass to have to scroll sideways to read the thread. You need to put web pages as hot links, otherwise they stink up the joint.

Why not re-edit your post with the linkie? Instead of just pasting it into your text, hit the URL button in the Instant Genii Code menu below.

Alternatively one of the Genii folks, like Dustin, might care to tidy things up. Sort of a 'moderator' kind of thing. It's what happens on most boards.

Joe

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2006, 2:40 pm

Ha! I like magicam's post to a point.
I agree that some people will put out any product they can think of to fleece suckers, but I have almost always found Ricky Jay's offerings to be tip-top. ... Of course, they can't all be gems, but for my taste, his batting-average is pretty good....
Dave, dont get me wrong about Ricky Jay there is much to admire about his work, and elsewhere on this board I believe I have said so, especially in relation to his historically-oriented books. Perhaps, though, the praise bears repeating here: Jay is without peer in the annals of conjuring, in that he has attained a very high level of expertise in both magic performance and historical scholarship.

Obviously, Jay is entitled to indulge all of his varied interests. Its just that, IMHO, of his published material, his writings on magic history represent his strongest and most significant contributions. And, admittedly, theres a selfish streak to my criticism of his most recent offerings, for I dont give a hoot about his passion for dilapidated dice or the songs he shuffles to. But I do look forward to reading whatever he writes on magic history.

Clay

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2006, 11:53 am

Dave, I [b]am the base!

How many folks do you know who have RJs pre-calligraphy autograph on a playing card no less?

Dustin [/b]
I'm first assistant. Which means I hold Dustin's coat while he does his thing.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2006, 1:17 pm

Just a note ... even though I did receive an e-mail from Sony that my deluxe set of Ricky Jay Plays Poker had been dispatched, it has never arrived. Considering that I've literally been to China and back in the interim, I assume that it's not going to arrive in the near future, either.
All this is made very strange by the fact that Ricky had copies to see at his show in Los Angeles!

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » December 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm

It's probably done, but I'd guess Sony is holding it back for a press release/launch next year.

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2006, 5:09 pm

It's still due on 2/13 according to my pals that work for Sony.
Peace, Joe

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Saw Ricky perform last night in LA, picked up a copy of Ricky Jay Plays Poker at the show but he wasn't autographing. He was in his typical roudy form and the show went by way to quickly. A joy to watch if you get a chance. SB :)

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2006, 7:56 am

Clay,

I picked up the CD/DVD/Cards/Book at 52 Assistants. It contains a beautiful little books that contains the kind of smart but humorous writing about history that Ricky is so well known for.

Not sure which project gave you your wild hair/hare, but if guys like Houdin and Houdin saw fit to be interested in and write about optics, locks and diving suits, I think the big stretch of someone like Ricky Jay writing about luck, collecting objects which are deteriorating, the acts described on early playbills, the links between magic and spiritualism or poker sleights and cons does not seem like such a radical detour.

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2006, 2:51 pm

As an Englishman trapped on the wrong side of the pond, I have yet to see Ricky perform. Hence, I am very curious about seeing him on the DVD. To those who have seen the DVD (Lucca?), could you say how long it lasts and whether or not it gives a fair reflection of Ricky's style and persona?

Thanks alot!

Joe Mckay

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Originally posted by Lucca Pacholi:
Clay,

I picked up the CD/DVD/Cards/Book at 52 Assistants. It contains a beautiful little books that contains the kind of smart but humorous writing about history that Ricky is so well known for....
Hi Lucca:

What subject matter is covered by the historical writing?

Clay

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2006, 4:47 pm

And review the dvd too if you can!

Thanks, Tim

Return to “Alternative Media”