Arrrested Development

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Arrrested Development

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2004, 9:43 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the recurring character of "Job" in this fantastic comedy series on Fox. He identifies himself as an "illusionist," and it is a wonderfully smart and funny characterization of a clueless magician. Last week, in an effort to try and make the cover of "Poof" magazine, Job attempts to perform the buried alive illusion only to bungle it badly.

Notwithstanding the comedy in acts like Penn & Teller and others, magicians have a reputation for seriousness that lends itself to send-ups. I hope magicians who watch this show can take a joke and enjoy this really funny character.

Re: Arrrested Development

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2004, 10:42 am

Ya know, I've never heard of the show or the character until I saw it in TV guide yesterday. I'm not going to watch it if I can remember when it is on.
Steve V

pixsmith

Postby pixsmith » December 9th, 2004, 11:01 am

It is a great show -- terribly funny and pretty dry.

The character's name is spelled Gob.

Other notables -- Liza Minnelli appeared for a while as Buster's girlfriend Lucille, who wasa afflicted with debilitating Vertigo. And, no, it was no concidence that she had the same name as his mother.

Pretty funny stuff. There is a lot of the magic subplot in season one (now available on DVD, I think)

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2004, 12:12 pm

Typo, I meant I'm going to watch it if I remember when it is on.
Steve V

Return to “Alternative Media”