Acer On-Screen

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Jon Racherbaumer

Acer On-Screen

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » September 1st, 2003, 10:31 am

ACERS LONG SHOT, NO DOLLY: Even though Im a flick-freak who views at least 10 films weekly, Im not usually driven to share my views with magic-freaks. (Yesterday I watched 5 films: Lord of the Rings: Twin Towers, Aviators Wife, Sonny, Life and Times of Henry Kissinger, and Levity.) Im only mentioning this to alert super-trivia nuts that Genii columnist, David Acer, can be seen for a few seconds in Levity, a ponderous film shot in Canada. There is a brief scene at a comedy club (irony?) with Billy Bob Thorton and Holly Hunter. In the background you can see a tall comic on stage. I immediately recognized Acers hair and body language. Then I heard his distinctive voice. He uttered a couple of tag lines (One was about odor-eaters) and the audience groaned. But, hey, he is credited in the cast-scroll at the end. Does this go in your ever-thickening resume, David?

BTW, despite Billy Bobs goofy hair-style (a cross between Neal Young having a bad hair-day and Prince Valium) and the twilight-zone, Newage music, the acting was superb. The DVD behind-the-scenes was the best part. The director, Ed Solomon, did, among other things Men in Black (screenwriter). This film took six years to get made and is typically Indie-Earnest-too much sohowever, I always find interesting things to watch. The photography, for example, was terrific. Morgan Freeman is consistently good, even if the material is crap. If your Zoloft dosage is low, the snail pace of this film is fitting accompaniment to listening to a Tony Hassini video. Or, better yet, simply rent it and copy Acers fifteen seconds of distant face time.

Onward

Pete Biro

Re: Acer On-Screen

Postby Pete Biro » September 1st, 2003, 11:19 am

Roc ... go see Seabiscuit
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2003, 12:58 pm

David Acer was on Discovery Europe some days ago: he was playing a weird scientist and did some cool magic. He is a very funny magician. I meet him at the Blackpool convention this year.
He did some real crazy magic for us. Haha.
The last effect with his underwear was really fun. WEIRD stuff. What kind of pills do you eat David? haha...

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » September 1st, 2003, 1:04 pm

I remember seeing a mention about this on his website, but it makes it even better that you just stumbled upon it unawares.

His website also had a "preview" of an upcoming column where he gets on his knees and gives thanks and praise to me for an inspiration (at least that's the way I pictured it in my head). Yet another reason to visit his site often, and buy all his things.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » September 3rd, 2003, 5:35 pm

Hi Jon,

First of all, I'm sorry... Secondly, don't blame me for the "odor eaters" tag line - I didn't write ANY of the jokes I did in that scene. In fact, the original intention was to make it a kind of open mic night, and I was supposed to be a goofy accountant guy bombing on stage (they even made me wear a Hawaiian shirt), but my comedy club instincts kicked in and I sold the crap out of the jokes, so the first two takes were useless because Holly Hunter and Billy Bob Thornton laughed.

I haven't actually seen the movie, but it didn't fare well with the critics. For what it's worth, though, both Hunter and Thornton were total sweethearts, and Ed Solomon is a pleasure to work with (very bright, very funny).
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 4th, 2003, 2:24 pm

Rumor has it that this is slated for a major re-release in "Smell-o-vision."

Matt Field

Return to “Alternative Media”