Penn & Teller Golf ads

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Jeff Eline

Penn & Teller Golf ads

Postby Jeff Eline » March 5th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Just saw two Ford commercials starring Penn, Teller and Johnny Miller. Pretty good.

Ford Magic website

dwmagic

Re: Penn & Teller Golf ads

Postby dwmagic » March 5th, 2006, 9:47 pm

I was in during some of the editing on these. There was a discussion between myself an the editor regarding how do people watch magic within this context. Would be very curious to hear what the Forum members favorites are.
The comments can/will be shared with the powers that be.
Cheers!
Damon

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » March 6th, 2006, 7:38 am

Originally posted by dwmagic:
how do people watch magic within this context.
Damon,
I thought the spots played very well for what they're supposed to accomplish. I wasn't expecting a moving magical moment and I don't think you can acheive that in 30 seconds anyway, while picthing a product.

The 'gags' worked well. Humorous. Not insulting. Fun.

I hope that's what you were asking.

Jeff

dwmagic

Postby dwmagic » March 6th, 2006, 5:20 pm

Thank you. Its exactly what I was curious about. Appreciate the comments. It is a tough situation. You hope that the brand of Penn & Teller says enough magic and entertainment.
Chhers!
damon

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 6th, 2006, 7:05 pm

I'm surprised Miller went along with a script that denegrates the sport. I guess the pay was good.
Stay tooned.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 6th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Pete,

For a period of time I made part of my living via that sport (repair and custom club shop). I found nothing at all in those spots that was denigrating to the sport.

Dustin

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » March 6th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
I'm surprised Miller went along with a script that denegrates the sport. I guess the pay was good.
Yeah, I didn't get that. If anything, I think it helps Johnny Miller come across self-effacing and more likeable, different than his normal curmudgeony persona. At least that's what I'd say if I were his agent.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » March 7th, 2006, 10:23 am

There are a lot of ads featuring sports personalities that show them hanging around, giving each other grief, for laughs. Most of the time the athletes can't deliver a line convincingly, and you get the idea of the joke and think, "He's a good guy, he went along with it."

Johnny Miller was better than most athletes in these commercials, he actually said his lines well.

And then you have the silly image of two guys in business suits out on the golf course. Penn is playing someone who talks big and can't deliver. You know just by how he moves that he can't hit the ball five feet.

The thing that's fun is watching the behind-the-scenes clips. Teller always amazes me...in one clip he does a trick where there is no trick. Too funny.

Jeff

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2006, 11:03 am

Great job, I would like to add these to my huge collection of magicians in commercials, can you get me a copy? Or, will these be airing soon?

Postby Guest » March 25th, 2006, 3:08 pm

I still don't like the cups & balls expose' no matter how much anyone thinks it confuses the spectators. I say it shows the spectators exactly what most of us are doing in our routines. I'm sorry to see it in a commercial.

Terry

Return to “Alternative Media”