Good Theory Books

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Good Theory Books

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2006, 10:06 am

I wondered what others consider the best books or writings related to magic theory. I have most of the good theory books by writers specifically geared toward magic. Ive also picked up some acting books and the Zen of the Monologue and Stand Up Comedy books by Jay Sankey. I have gained some great advice from these titles and wondered if anybody else had some favorites. Thanks.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Re: Good Theory Books

Postby Steve Bryant » April 13th, 2006, 10:12 am

Eugene Burger's books are wonderful.

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2006, 11:05 am

Less well known than the works of Maskelyne and Devant, Sharpe, Fitzkee, Nelms, Burger, Wonder and Neale, but one I found very insightful and thought provoking is THE SECRET ART OF MAGIC by Eric Evans and Nowlin Craver. A very unusual approach.

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2006, 11:24 am

Tamariz' "The Magic Way" should be on any list of books on theory.

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2006, 11:50 am

I would like the Tamariz book someday but haven't been so lucky. What about other books not specifically written for magicians that others have gotten some knowledge from, acting, comedy, etc? Thanks.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 13th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Judy Carter's Stand-up Comedy:The Book is a good one, along the lines of Sankey's Zen and the Art of Stand-up Comedy. Both (along with another by Judy on comedy writing that I haven't read) are available from Amazon.

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Difficult subject to approach, as it starts with something of a leap of faith. A sort of divide between the world as we are told is real and the world as some wish it to be. Sort of stepping into "because" to become the cause of what happens.

Theory? I guess that comes after getting a handle on epistemology and dramatic studies.

Still perplexed about where to start about abstractions as so much comes from doing.

Would Ann Rice and Alan Moore count for how to manage classic stories, or Neil Gaiman for how to offer classic characters in context?

Do we need Milgram's work for eliciting compliance and complicity? Or Bandler's works to discuss how to respect and augment the subjective reality of others?

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2006, 12:36 pm

"Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Including those mentioned above:

• Ken Weber's Maximum Entertainment - Director's Notes for Magicians and Mentalists
  • Derren Brown's - Absolute Magic
  • Vito Lupo and Rudy Coby 'Lecture notes'

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2006, 10:49 pm

"Everything is Funnier with Monkeys", Doc Dixon

Return to “Alternative Media”