A magician named GOB

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Pepka

A magician named GOB

Postby Pepka » December 26th, 2005, 7:59 am

I've recently been introduced to the histerical sit-com Arrested Development. In it, there is a character named GOB, (pronounced Jobe) who is an awful, garish, self-absorbed magician. He is everything the most laymen hate about magic. They even spoof the Magic Castle. Has anyone else seen this show? If not, I recommend picking up the first season on DVD and having a good laugh.

Pete McCabe

Re: A magician named GOB

Postby Pete McCabe » December 27th, 2005, 2:13 pm

The latest rumor I heard is that the show will be cancelled by Fox, and that negotiations are ongoing with Showtime for a possible move there. It's a shame, because we don't get Showtime, and AD is a great show.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » December 30th, 2005, 12:57 pm

Arrested Development is one of the few network television programs that makes me laugh out loud. I highly recommend renting the first two seasons on DVD.

M. Close

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2006, 10:21 am

I have the first season on DVD. They do an excellent job satirizing the corny magician. I wonder if there is a magician on staff as a writer?

Pepka

Postby Pepka » February 3rd, 2006, 4:09 am

OK, of all you guys that watched the show what's your magic reference that has been on the show. I really love the bill switch where he changes a borrowed $20 into a Monopoly board game. When his nephew says "That's great, but what about my $20." He smugly replies, "A magician never reveals his secret" and rides off on his Segway.
Priceless! :D
Then there is an appearance by his favorite magician Tony Wonder, (no relation to Tommy) played by Ben Stiller.

Gord

Postby Gord » February 3rd, 2006, 10:55 am

Originally posted by pepka:
Then there is an appearance by his favorite magician Tony Wonder, (no relation to Tommy) played by Ben Stiller.
I love Tony Wonder, especially the episode where he sat in that food service elivator thingy (I can't recall it's real name) until someone mentioned his name. Then a puff of smoke and voila, there he is.

It's a shame the show didn't catch on the way it should, but then some of the best shows in the last decade never did. I've heard that both Showtime and ABC may be interested (and the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly makes a good case for it to go to the newly minted CW network.).

Postby Guest » February 3rd, 2006, 11:56 am

Originally posted by Gord Gardiner:
I love Tony Wonder, especially the episode where he sat in that food service elivator thingy (I can't recall it's real name) until someone mentioned his name. Then a puff of smoke and voila, there he is.
That episode was an absolute gem. Always a great programme, but that one was really special.

Dave

Grant McSorley

Postby Grant McSorley » February 3rd, 2006, 1:15 pm

I got a late start with this show, so I haven't seen many episodes yet. But I was watching one the other day with some friends and Gob was sitting next to one of those tables with the black art wells and hte gold frills. He puts his glass down, right into the well, like it was the most casual thing in the world. I started laughing....no one else got it.

Gord

Postby Gord » February 4th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Originally posted by Grant McSorley:
I got a late start with this show, so I haven't seen many episodes yet. But I was watching one the other day with some friends and Gob was sitting next to one of those tables with the black art wells and hte gold frills. He puts his glass down, right into the well, like it was the most casual thing in the world. I started laughing....no one else got it.
You should rent season one. There is a great bit where Gob is performing for a march break crowd and his big illusion is to make a yacht disapear. How does he do it? Not to get all masked magician on you all but it involves explosives, a lot of explosives.
I gotta tell you, I laughed for about a week on that one.

Gord

Postby Guest » May 19th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Props from the show are currently being sold:

HERE

Return to “Alternative Media”