Anyone see the New Episodes of Mindfreak Last Night?

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Anyone see the New Episodes of Mindfreak Last Night?

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 13th, 2007, 9:00 am

See Subject and Discuss!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mike Rozek

Re: Anyone see the New Episodes of Mindfreak Last Night?

Postby Mike Rozek » June 13th, 2007, 9:53 am

Ok, I'll bite:) My wife and I watched again this week, and wound up turning it off when he did the "relieving himself in the bushes at the golf course" bit. It just pushed the "crude" level a bit too high for us. I'm sure it was funny for some, but as I mentioned before, it's just not my style of humor. I liked his newspaper tear, though:)

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2007, 11:46 am

I saw the espisodes last night, not bad, I do agree the golf course stunt was a little crude, but I am golfer so it goes against what I was taught. The girl coming out of the box was a little cheesy it looked like that Cardboard box weighed about 50 pounds when he laid it down to open the lid and then picked it up again. I did like the T&R newspaper, does anyone know what version that is, it was very clean. I don't like everything he does, but he is an entertainer. My wife really like the levitation at the Golf course, and the steamroller stunt.

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2007, 9:54 pm

I'm liking the magic quite a bit but the voiceovers are getting a bit tiresome. It would be nice to hear a some soft sell instead of constantly being told how impressive this all is...

Somehow that weakens the effects, which are among the best I've seen on TV.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » June 13th, 2007, 11:13 pm

I don't think the newspaper tear could be done exactly as shown. If what happened is what I think happened.

I kind of liked the dinner table scene too where Criss used 'ordinary table objects'. That kind of thing doesn't really bother me like the stooge and camera effects.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » June 14th, 2007, 10:45 am

I agree that the hype is becoming too much. How many times can you hear criss say that this may be the last time you see him alive, or walking around, and still believe it. The stunts may be dangerous but there comes a point that you begin to become immune to the hype, and it just becomes annoying.

Randwill

Postby Randwill » June 16th, 2007, 10:38 am

Especially when you consider that the "death defying" stunt was taped months ago and obviously went okay or it would have been all over the news at the time and wouldn't be part of the show now.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 16th, 2007, 1:05 pm

The comment about any dangerous stunt having been taped or filmed months earlier holds true for all pre-recorded things of this sort--no matter who's done it, including David Copperfield in his upside down strait-jacket escape over the flaming spikes, or Lance Burton chained to the roller coaster track, or whatever.

Unless something is done live, the suspense SHOULD be lost--but it isn't, and this is where the power of film and TV comes into play.

When you're watching a movie, and there's suspense involving Indiana Jones or James Bond or Batman, you SHOULD know, no matter how suspenseful the scene, that your hero just isn't going to die or be critically injured. It's just not going to happen, yet the suspense is still there.

This is created through the power of skillful acting, photography, editing, music, and writing.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » June 17th, 2007, 1:13 am

When I sold cars they always said, don't oversell a done deal. I really enjoy most of the stunts that Criss does, and I think the suspense of them is great. I just feel that they spend the whole show trying to sell you on how dangerous this stunt is, instead of letting the stunt speak for itself. I guess it would be different if he were doing one stunt a year or even 2 or 3 a year, but when I watch 3 episodes in a row, and they say the same thing about each stunt, it starts to lose it's effect.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » June 17th, 2007, 6:54 am

Not everyone who watches the show is a magician. Sometimes people are watching it for the first time.
The amazing thing about Mindfreak is the third season. It's in its Third season,folks. Doing magic on tv. How great is that! He helps everyone in this business.

Return to “Alternative Media”