Night at the Museum

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Night at the Museum

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2006, 8:23 am

For those who have seen the movie:
How about that exposure? Considering that practically every child in the audience at magic shows for the next two years will see this movie, vanishing small hankies may be temporarily shelved from many children's shows...

(if it wasn't for the fact that it was my wife's birthday, I would not be caught dead watching Ben Stiller perform -- but I was pleasantly surprised by both the movie and his performance, and the kids enjoyed it)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Night at the Museum

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 30th, 2006, 8:36 am

What do they explain, a handkerchief pull?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2006, 10:06 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
What do they explain, a handkerchief pull?
a small silk hank is clearly shown sticking out of a thumbtip ON one character's thumb. The TT is then grabbed off by the the guy's thumb by another character who proceeds to extract the hank.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 30th, 2006, 11:30 am

Glad I don't use that method. Now if you want to have some fun... wear a TT and use a pull, then show the TT empty. :D
Stay tooned.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » December 30th, 2006, 12:25 pm

You could also secretly tape (or otherwise affix) a small corner thats been cut from a duplicate hanky to your right thumb prior to performing the effect, in such a way that it looks like its protruding from a thumbtip (if its resting in your right jacket pocket with an adhesive on one side, you should be able to dip your hand in and, with your first finger, press the corner to your thumb). Introduce the silk, tuck it into a pull, let the pull fall (or otherwise retract) into your jacket, then accidentally expose the corner on your right thumb. Peel it off for the gag, then perform a false transfer, causing the corner to vanish.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Originally posted by David Acer:
Peel it off for the gag, then perform a false transfer, causing the corner to vanish.
Or make the false corner out of colored rice paper (like that used to wrap rice candy) and eat the evidence.

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2006, 2:32 pm

If we wish to admit the existance of these things... sure can get clever about it. Like using a pull and having different colored hank in TT.

Or could use it more wisely or in sneaky ways as per the Ramsay Paper Tear trick.

Perhaps some have forgotten the older use of that gaff and prop.

As I recall it was to permit the performer to vanish a LARGE silk scarf.

The performer would crumple up the large scarf and tuck it into his hand, leaving bit popped up through the top of their fist.

That protruding bit would be tucked in and then... the scarf vanishes.

A nice effect and method.

;)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 30th, 2006, 2:44 pm

I posted this on another forum, but if this bothers you, you might want to have a look at the work of Salvano. He has/had an International video with Thumb tip work where the tip is never on the thumb.

So, go into your silk vanishing routine but an obviously empty thumb. Or have a chat with Ursula...

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
That protruding bit would be tucked in and then... the scarf vanishes.

A nice effect and method.

A wonderful use of a "finger" tip as well...

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2006, 9:32 pm

I once developed a routine in which I blatantly bring out a box of thumbtips and show them to the audience. Then I wrapped each one with colored tape and did a thimble routine with them.

Tony Brent
Orlando, Florida

P.S. Later on I used a TT for the bill in lemon and no one was the wiser.

Return to “Alternative Media”