Karl Fulves "Prolix"

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Karl Fulves "Prolix"

Postby Matthew Field » June 23rd, 2006, 2:40 am

When "Discoverie" ended publication last year, Karl Fulves promised a new periodical to follow, and it has arrived. "Prolix" will be ten issues, a single spiral bound (not comb-bound) 68 page page magazine (as opposed to the troika issues of "Discoverie," "Latter Day Secrets" and "Charlatan" which arrived together). The biggest difference though is the inclusion of apparatus with the issues.

The first issue has items by (hold onto your hats): Dai Vernon, Bob Ostin, Derek Dingle & Fulves, John Scarne, J.K. Hartman, Martin Gardner and others.

Wow!

The apparatus includes toy cars, odd-size rubber bands, poker chips and other materials so you can perform the tricks right away, instead of thinking about visiting a stationers to find the stuff (which somehow never happens).

This is NOT a monthly magazine. Karl will publish 10 issues at his own pace. If that troubles you, look elsewhere.

The US subscription price is $150. For those of us living abroad it is $240, and Karl has my check. (He does not accept credit cards.)

It's available from Karl Fulves, P.O. Box 433, Teaneck, NJ 07666. And no, he has no website, is not on line, and does not make his phone number available. At least not to me.

Matt Field

Re: Karl Fulves "Prolix"

Postby Guest » June 24th, 2006, 5:48 am

Wow, what a marketing strategy. Let me see if I understand/interpret this correctly (I could be wrong).

"Hear ye, hear ye. A new magic publication has arrived. It will be 68 pages on looseleaf paper (spiral bound??) and it will be ten issues (not twelve which would equal once a month like we get from magazines that cost $40 a year). I'm not going to tell you WHEN you'll get the ten issues as the author will send them whenever. Could be once a month for ten months, could be once a year for ten years...so I don't want to her any complaints.

It's an exorbitant $150 which you HAVE to pay by check (I'm surprised it didn't say "written out to cash") because the author doesn't accept credit cards. He also doesn't have a phone number, email, or website in case you need to ask, "Hey, where's my stuff? Hello? Anyone home?"

With this price, you get stuff you can buy from a "stationers" (rubberbands, paper clips...whew, I'm getting dizzy).

The material is by magicians who are mostly dead (well, their not 'mostly' dead, they're definitely dead, but most of the contributors haven't written anything in many years).

(And the clincher) if you don't like it, look somewhere else, buzz off, I don't need your business, you knucklehead, you."

I think I'll take your advise and stay away from this.

Postby Guest » June 24th, 2006, 6:51 am

Quite right, Infantino; this sort of material won't be for you.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 24th, 2006, 7:02 am

Hmm, someone's a knucklehead, but it's your word, not Karl's. Those of us used to Karl's content and publishing schedule are going to be pleased to resubscribe. Some of the best of my repertoire has come from, and continues to come from, Karl's output. (Some magicians simply do not walk in the computer world. Another whom you can't e-mail is Persi Diaconis.)

BUT if you want to read a REAL subscription form that might spin you up (and finally convinced me to not re-subscribe even though I loved the magazine) is this:

Please find enclosed my subscription of $60 for Vol. 5 of The Crimp, consisting of 6 issues, No. 43-48. I understand that your magazine will be published on an erratic basis, and it may be many months, POSSIBLY YEARS, before I received ANY OR ALL of them. Not only do I understand this, I am happy about it an all. Further, I understand that if I so much as ask you "When's the next issue coming out?" either in person, by phone, or by letter, then my subscription WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED, and no money will be refunded to me. Finally, and just for the record, I think you're a c*nt. Signed ____

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 24th, 2006, 7:41 am

Infantino, you're completely ignorant of the subject you're ranting about and your post makes you look silly.

As soon as I saw Matt's post, I put $150 in an envelope and carried it to the post office to make sure that I was on the subscription list for Prolix. I have purchased all of Karl's publications for the last 30 years and been more than happy with them. Lots of valuable information you never get anywhere else.

I am not alone in this: Karl has a loyal customer base who purchases anything he publishes.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 25th, 2006, 3:25 am

Originally posted by INFANTINO:
Let me see if I understand/interpret this correctly (I could be wrong).
That's right. You're wrong.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2006, 12:45 pm

While I'm excited about the release of new Fulves material and don't mind the wait, what ever it is, until it arrives. I was curious to hear from those 30 year subscribers about the actual track record on delivery.

I know its certainly better than the alternative. Thats looking for years and years for the complete Fulves collection. Also, can you let us what type of material will be in the mag? Will it be focused toward Cardmen?

At any rate, thanks for inspiring the aspiring students of Karl Fulves.

tcb

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 4th, 2006, 4:18 pm

Karl has done three or four of these limited-run periodicals of 10 issues each over the last five or six years.

Swindle Sheet and Cheat Sheet
Rigmarole
Discoverie
Prolix

I think there's one missing somewhere in there. He takes his time, but you know that in advance. He always finishes the 10 issue run, and I've always been entirely satisfied with the contents. It's material you never find anywhere else, coming out of his files that must contain who-knows-how much unreleased stuff. It's like the best kind of time warp.

Erik Hemming

Postby Erik Hemming » July 4th, 2006, 5:26 pm

I wonder, sometimes, how many folks Karl Fulves has introduced to magic through his work with Dover....

...and how many he has sustained through his "intermittent" publications.

I can think of only a handful of folks who even remotely compare....

I'm hesitant to ask this, because I'm loathe to intrude into the life of someone so private, but there seems to be a dearth information on Karl, himself. The only thing I've encountered is a snippet here and there, and the opinions I can glean from his publications.

(He's not REALLY a shepherd, is he?)

I expect it's because he wants it that way. But I thought I'd ask. He's done so much, and recieved little attention. (Perhaps this grace is the direct reflection of his contribution?)

In any case, if there is anyone, anywhere, likely to know a source of information about K.F.--other than K.F., himself-- they are likely to be logged into this board.

If information can be shared without rousing Karl's--or anybody else's--ire, I'd appreciate the conversation.

Perhaps we can educate our fellows in the process.

Best,

Gordo

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 4th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Karl has purposefully kept a low profile. Almost nothing is known about him personally and he refuses to do any sort of interview. I only know of two or three people who have his phone number.
The only reason I met him is because he used to show up at Tannen's once in a while in the 1970s. I met him once, much later, at a Gene Maze lecture in New Jersey in the mid to late 1980s.
I would say he's got to be between 65 and 75 by now.

Postby Guest » July 4th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Corbin:
...If information can be shared without rousing Karl's--or anybody else's--ire, I'd appreciate the conversation...
Perhaps such is best addressed to the man himself. He's kept the same postbox for three decades and in person at Tannen's he was approachable. He introduced Scot Kim's Ambigrams on one of his visits and told us about the chord style keyboard and the chess set of nesting pieces on other visits. If you meet him, ask him about the joke packet trick.

Drop him a note. Say hi. Why settle for gossip and tales when you can make a personal connection?

Erik Hemming

Postby Erik Hemming » July 4th, 2006, 8:29 pm

As usual, wise and helpful replies.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Gordo

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2006, 12:19 am

This may be of interest (and I can't find the source right now), but - I have a photo of Karl Fulves which displays "K. Fulves 1940-"

So, if correct - he's 66.

I have most of Fulves' books & mags; I LOVE them. Infantino is wrong, methinks. But - Infantino does start with INFANT

Paul Gordon

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2006, 5:24 am

Paul Gordon wrote:
But - Infantino does start with INFANT

Hey Paul, that's clever...haven't heard that one since I was just a kid.

My point wasn't about Fulves writing or work...I have more Fulves' material than Kaufman or Ganson. My point was about Field's advertising of it: "If you don't like it, lump it."

Does Fulves know his mag is being promoted like that? I certainly wouldn't like my stuff advertised that way. Just my opinion (which I'm allowed to have)...name calling is not old-school...it's elementary-school.

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2006, 7:13 am

You are right; sorry! Silly joke! I apologise

I do think that ANY Fulves stuff is worth getting because he always comes up trumps! He IS hard to get hold of, but I think that's part of his charm. It's nice, for a change, NOT to have easy access. I think the pricing IS fair...but that IS subjective. Also he IS very honest! Stuff DOES appear...always.

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2006, 10:39 am

Well that was fun!

So does anybody have any idea what type of material will be in this new publication - Prolix?

I'm hoping its focused on Cardman Stuff. What ever it is I'm going all in. Just wondering if anybody really knows.

tcb

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2006, 12:03 pm

]My point was about Field's advertising of it: "If you don't like it, lump it."
Let me explain something to you.

A post on a forum by Mr Field isn't an advert.

It's a post.

By Mr Field.

A very respected member of the magic community. Your taking issue with the tonality of this post says a whole lot more about you than it does anything else.

As Dom said, stay away. It's not for you.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 5th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Just my opinion (which I'm allowed to have)...
Of course you are allowed your opinion. What you are not allowed to do is attribute a quote to someone who never said such a thing!

My point was about Fields advertising of it: If you don't like it, lump it.
Nowhere in Mr. Fields post do those words appear, nor is such an attitude even implied by what he did write, which is nothing more than a sensible disclaimer: If that troubles you, look elsewhere.

By purposely misquoting Mr. Field (more than once, I might add) your posts border on libel. Please refrain from doing that again.

Dustin

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2006, 3:46 am

Having a lot of his spiral bound manuscripts myself I am wondering: How do you all store those booklets? Putting them all next to each other on the shelf is a bit problematic since the spirals are usually quite a bit thicker than the pages itself...
Any tips?

Denis

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2006, 9:05 am

Dear Denis,

Here's what I do: My bookbinder shrinks pages to half size, double-sides them (Fulves often only prints on one side - and his paper is thick/bulky), makes them into folded sheets and stitches/binds them in leather - like a 'real' book. He gets about 6/7 manuscripts into one fair size leather-bound book. All for only 80. The originals I store in my lock-up.

Paul Gordon

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2006, 10:15 pm

Paul,

Read you above post about getting the books you buy re-printed and bound nicely and putting the rest in your locker.

Also noticed you are selling the following single-sided Fulves items:

7) Fulves - Transpo Trix (Big & RARE book) 20 (about $38)

8) Fulves - Methods With Cards vol. 1 ( RARE big book) 20 (about $38

Postage extra (all sent SAME DAY by air.) Enquiries to: info@paulgordon.net

Do these prices include your bound copies, or do you destroy those when you sell your originals or are these two of the Fulves books that weren't worth duplicating and binding?

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2006, 11:03 pm

Originally posted by New Guy:
Paul,

Do these prices include your bound copies, or do you destroy those when you sell your originals or are these two of the Fulves books that weren't worth duplicating and binding?
Is that a dig???

Either way - The books I'm selling are NOT from MY collection. I buy & sell on the behalf of others.

My bound books are so that my 4000+ collection doesn't swamp my house! They are for MY pleasure only. It stops my house sinking under the weight! (My 'originals' and magazines are in storage.)

Paul

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 11:23 pm

Paul,

Was not a dig, was a real question. I know you as a performer and a writer. I did not know you also sold used books.

Thanks for the sincere answer.

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2006, 9:29 am

Just a reply to Gordon's question and Jonathan's response to write him. I've written to Karl 3 letters,typed and edited to make sure spelling and all was nice to read and I didn't get any response. Now that doesn't mean I think any less of him, I still consider him a mentor to me but I also think that he is just a very private person who may at this time in his life not need to make anymore friends. I searched for any information on Mr. Fulves on almost all online sources and the best I could find came from searching the Genii forum and writing back and forth to Matt Field on another private forum. I started late in life with magic and finding out about Fulves' other material but I intend to track down as many manuscripts and publications as I can.
Wade

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 19th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Karl has no interest whatsoever in having anything about his private life known to the public. I would think, that after 30 years of privacy, that would be obvious.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 19th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Richard,

Just wondering, when was the mental magic chapter written by Fulves in Tarbell # 2 added to the book?
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 19th, 2006, 4:50 pm

I had no idea that anything by Karl had been added to the Tarbell course! If so, it seems that it would have been done by Tannen's long before they sold the books to Robbins, and that was many years ago.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 20th, 2006, 1:41 am

It's in there. I was reading #2 recently and came across it.

The author of the chapter didn't strike me when I first read the book as a 12 year old but in reading it now I realized that it had to have been added later.

It even has J.K. Schmidt drawings!
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » July 20th, 2006, 9:12 am

I recommend anything Fulves puts out, including the ones featuring opinions and essays I vehemently disagree with...His material otherwise is always stimulating and interesting. He is a major player in the strange and esoteric world of publishing magic arcana.

I also have most everything he has put out, even though I have rarely bought it directly from Karl.
I know of no instance wherein he did not fulfill his obligation as a seller.

His latest stuff sounds intriguing.

Onward...

Postby Guest » July 20th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Originally posted by Jon Racherbaumer:
I recommend anything Fulves puts out, including the ones featuring opinions and essays I vehemently disagree with...His material otherwise is always stimulating and interesting. He is a major player in the strange and esoteric world of publishing magic arcana.

I also have most everything he has put out, even though I have rarely bought it directly from Karl.
I know of no instance wherein he did not fulfill his obligation as a seller.

His latest stuff sounds intriguing.

Onward...
Here, here! I love Fulves' publications. (One of my books is dedicated to him.) His publications are a joy to read. My favourites are Epilogue, the Hummer and Finnell books - and, mostly, the EXCELLENT Book Of Numbers. Beg, steal or borrow a copy!

Paul Gordon

Return to “Alternative Media”