Wild Wild West and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea coming to DVD!

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Wild Wild West and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea coming to DVD!

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 19th, 2005, 8:48 pm

Nothing to do with magic, but I'm real excited about the imminent release of full seasons of my two favorite TV shows when I was a kid, Wild Wild West and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I'm probably not the only one in this crowd.
Boxed sets of season one for both are coming in February.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John LeBlanc

Re: Wild Wild West and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea coming to DVD!

Postby John LeBlanc » November 19th, 2005, 9:06 pm

No, you're definitely not the only one. Wild Wild West was one of my favorite shows ever. Can't wait for this!

John
http://www.escamoteurettes.com/blog/

magicam

Postby magicam » November 19th, 2005, 10:30 pm

For me, it was Voyage... My parents would let me stay up late to watch it and I particularly remember the giant squid and the scenes where they were running out of air. Id pace the floor in my PJs, mouth closed to see how long I could hold my breath with the crew, but forgot I was breathing through my nose!

Doomo

Postby Doomo » November 19th, 2005, 10:31 pm

I know what you mean. I only recently got good copies of all the Peter Lorre Mr.Moto films. Plus I recently found the first 3 seasons of Mission:Impossible. I love it! Add that to my recent collection of Kolchak,The Night Stalker with Darrin McGavin and it has been a pretty good year.
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2005, 12:16 am

Originally posted by Doomo:
I know what you mean. I only recently got good copies of all the Peter Lorre Mr.Moto films. Plus I recently found the first 3 seasons of Mission:Impossible. I love it! Add that to my recent collection of Kolchak,The Night Stalker with Darrin McGavin and it has been a pretty good year.
Hey Doomo,

Where did you find the Mission Impossible? I really love that show!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 20th, 2005, 7:27 am

The Mr. Moto films will be officially released as a box set next year.

As far as Doomo having them now ... can you spell BOOTLEGS? (Ditto for Mission Impossible ... any episodes on DVD are boots.)

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2005, 8:05 am

Thanks Richard. Wasn't really sure as often our US buddies get new releases first. Guess I'll just have to be patient.

Terrence

Postby Terrence » November 20th, 2005, 9:53 am

Great post Richard.

Has anyone seen if "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." will make it to DVD?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 20th, 2005, 9:57 am

Man From UNCLE? Ask Jeff Busby--I hear he's gone to work for THRUSH. :)

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2005, 10:05 am

The late 60s to mid 70s saw some great series come out of the US, usually with great theme tunes (The Man from U.N.C.L.E. being a case in point). Today? Nada, zippo.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » November 20th, 2005, 10:53 am

Originally posted by Graham Nichols:
The late 60s to mid 70s saw some great series come out of the US, usually with great theme tunes (The Man from U.N.C.L.E. being a case in point). Today? Nada, zippo.
Graham, have you seen the series "24"? I picked up the DVD set for the first season when it was released a few years ago and watched every episode that weekend. Since then I've picked up the DVD set as soon as the next season was released. (Season 4 will be released in a couple of weeks.)

John

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2005, 11:17 am

Not seen it yet John. I have it recorded somewhere, but no time to watch right now. I'll probably give it a whizz during the Christmas holidays.

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2005, 2:08 pm

Bootlegs? Of course they are! But the damned show is simply not shown anywhere... And I missed it! On the other hand, the Kolchak series is official first run DVD's. If they would bring Mission:Impossible out on the real thing, I would be sooo happy.

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2005, 2:36 pm

I'd buy the Mission Impossible series on DVD if it were released.

I recently purchased 70s Kung Fu original series with David Carradine. Great stories, and fun to see big name stars starting out in supporting roles. William Shatner hamming his way though an episode with the worst red-coloured false beard in history was priceless!

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » November 20th, 2005, 3:13 pm

Originally posted by Graham Nichols:
I'd buy the Mission Impossible series on DVD if it were released.
Putting your name on a list (like Amazon or a few of the DVD-advocate sites) helps. Years ago I put my name down for "Back to the Future, "Valley Girl", and "Earth 2". So far I'm batting a thousand. Ha.

John

Postby Guest » November 21st, 2005, 12:17 am

Originally posted by Magicam:
For me, it was Voyage... My parents would let me stay up late to watch it and I particularly remember the giant squid and the scenes where they were running out of air. Id pace the floor in my PJs, mouth closed to see how long I could hold my breath with the crew, but forgot I was breathing through my nose!
The series taught me never to bunk next to Kowlowski. Every episode an alien or sea creature came aboard it made its way past 100 crew members to makes straight for Kowlowski. Yep, if Pamela Anderson had triplets he'd be the one on the bottle.

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » November 21st, 2005, 8:29 am

LOL, that's true about poor old 'ski. Even as a kid I realized this as me and my friends would play Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (nowadays it would be called role playing) and when we played it was obligatory that SOMEONE get taken over by something :) .

Terrence

Postby Terrence » November 21st, 2005, 10:47 am

"Get Smart" is another want.

I might pass on the last year though - 99 and Max getting married was too sappy.

Favorite gag was a series of the old 'this and that' trick, finishing with the punch gag "The old gun in the hand trick!".

That and Siegfried.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 21st, 2005, 10:56 am

I've heard that HBO now owns the original series of Get Smart and there has been some talk of a DVD release. Just a rumor at this point.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 21st, 2005, 11:30 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I've heard that HBO now owns the original series of Get Smart and there has been some talk of a DVD release. Just a rumor at this point.
Mark Evanier (mostly a comics/tv writer, but also a member of the Magic Castle) posted this rumor some time ago, and found confirmation HERE.

Terrence

Postby Terrence » November 22nd, 2005, 1:01 pm

Thank you Bill - come on 2006!

Richard - for some reason Chip was my favorite character - after Admiral Nelson.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 22nd, 2005, 4:25 pm

I always loved Sharkey. It wasn't until years later when I was watching some Japanese lasderdiscs of Voyage, that I realized someone else played a different but similar role in the first season and Sharkey (played by, as I recall, Terry Becker) didn't even show up until season two.

Fredrick
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Fredrick » November 23rd, 2005, 2:29 pm

Originally posted by John LeBlanc:
have you seen the series "24"? I picked up the DVD set for the first season when it was released a few years ago and watched every episode that weekend. Since then I've picked up the DVD set as soon as the next season was released. (Season 4 will be released in a couple of weeks.)

John
John,

24 is the first series that has made our must watch list in years. Season 3 was a little off the mark, but Season 4 made up for it.

Best news - Season 5 begins in January

~ Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic..." ~ Michael Moschen
The Jinx Companion

Postby Guest » October 24th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Latest News on "Get Smart" DVD...

November 15th release date!

Get Smart Site

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 24th, 2006, 4:19 pm

Ah, the Cone of Silence.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 24th, 2006, 4:45 pm

What was that Chief?

Would you believe...That my favorite character in the show was Siegfried, a top dog of KAOS (played by Bernie Kopell). Hysterical stuff!

Time to start dropping hints to the wife for Christmas prezzies!

Postby Guest » October 24th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Don't forget the Adams Family comes out next week. Talk about classic TV. All I ever wanted for Christmas was one of those light bulbs like Uncle Fester!!!!
Peace, Joe

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2006, 7:50 am

They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and ooky ...
... ooky?

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2006, 8:02 am

Please. They're creepy, kooky, mysterious and SPOOKY.

> ...ooky?

Altogether.

JMT

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2006, 11:32 am

I never missed Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea or Lost in Space. My other two favorites, Land of the Giants and The Fugitive, dont seem to be anywhere near DVD status.

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2006, 12:59 pm

All of these posts about shows I never had a chance to see (being born a decade or so too late) but always wanted to. When I became intelligently aware of the TV shows I was watching (late 70's) we had really lousy adventure shows and sub par comedy. I mean really, can anyone compare Happy Days with Get Smart? (Which I was lucky enough to catch in syndication.)
Then came the 80's with Knight Rider, Chips, Manimal. And to think, there are people who look back on those shows fondly.
But on a bright note, the classic show "Police Squad" has finally been released on DVD. Thank God I can look back on my youth and point to at least one decent comedy.

Gord

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2006, 7:36 am

One program I used to love was It Takes a Thief with Robert Wagner as a Cat Burglar/Jewel Thief and Fred Astaire playing his Father.

I seem to remember remember Slydini guest starring in one episode, and Wagner and Astaire both performing some Magic. Are those shows available on disk anywhere?

- entity

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 26th, 2006, 7:41 am

It Takes a Thief hasn't come out yet (nor is it scheduled). I think they'll get to it eventually.

Amazing what crap we enjoyed, isn't it?

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2006, 2:54 am

I am surprised no one has mentioned "The Magician" starring Bill Bixby. He even made his home in the Magic Castle! I don't know whether it was a set or the real Castle. I do know my father appeared in one or more guest shots on the program.

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2006, 7:14 am

McHale's Navy was our all time favorite growing up. Tim Conway and Carl Ballentine were hillarious. We watched it religiously (and, it certainly was better than church!). I don't ever remember Ballentine doing magic on the show, but he might have. It was long ago.

Gary

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2006, 7:58 am

Originally posted by Vernon's son:
I am surprised no one has mentioned "The Magician" starring Bill Bixby. He even made his home in the Magic Castle! I don't know whether it was a set or the real Castle. I do know my father appeared in one or more guest shots on the program.
Ive watched them all recently. Your dad is only in the background of one that i can recall.
If i remember rightly, he was doing the Cups on the Bar. You could clearly hear his voice as "Tony" walked by.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 27th, 2006, 11:16 am

Originally posted by Vernon's son:
I am surprised no one has mentioned "The Magician" starring Bill Bixby.
A couple of years ago there was a grassroots effort to get Paramount to release The Magician on DVD. There were letters, emails, and even an online petition sent to the executives there. Everything, it seems, was politely ignored. (I think its noteworthy that many of the folks behind the effort were mostly fans of the show and not necessarily magicians.) A gentleman named John Parnell keeps hope alive through his fan site.

Its quite fascinating to me that I continue to see pirated editions (first VHS and now DVD) of the series all over eBay, and they sell. If they didnt, the pirates would stop selling them. The point is, there is a clear demand for them. I believe even those who have purchased the pirated editions would purchase an authorized, high quality, unedited version. Paramount is missing the boat in my humble opinion.

Equally fascinating to me is that I cannot ever recall seeing a clamoring for some of the shows that are being released. In particular some of the one-season wonders that are appearing that no one watched when they were on free TV! At least The Magician had an audience. It received good viewer ratings but was canceled after two seasonsafter initially being given the green-light for a thirdbecause of demographics.

Sometimes the mind boggles.

Dustin

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2006, 2:12 pm

I also have a vague memory of a series with Hal Linden (you know -- Barney Miller) wherin he played a magician My memory is that it came and went very fast. Anyone else remember this show?

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2006, 2:35 pm

Yes, the show was called "Blacke's Magic" and starred Hal Lindon as a magician and Harry Morgan as his con-man father and together they fight crime.
A lot of shows from the 80's had odd couple characters teaming up to fight crime. Blacke's Magic & Scarecrow and Mrs. King are two that come to mind.
In fact, if you want, you can make a game of it. The rules are simple, take two characters whose occupations and traits are vastly different and end with the words "And together, they fight crime."

Let's try it shall we?

One is a popular mentalist and author who has a spooky demeanor.
The other is a straight laced card man with a million dollar smile.
And together they fight crime.
Yes, it's Maven and Ammar. Fighting crime with a thought and a smile!

Go ahead, it's fun.

Gord

Bob Kentner

Postby Bob Kentner » November 28th, 2006, 6:50 am

I always liked Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. It must have had an influence. In the early 80's I served on submarines. It always amazed me the number of visitors that wanted to see the big windows in the front. They were always amazed when we told them therre were no windows on submarines.

The series I've been buying is Emergency. I always loved that show. Another influence on my life. Now I'm a paramedic.

I've got to quit watching TV, before I'm influenced to try something really strange. :D

Return to “Alternative Media”