Marlo/Gardner Poker Deal

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Marlo/Gardner Poker Deal

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2007, 10:29 pm

Hello Everyone.

I am looking for the first place this routine was published. The earliest source I have is A poker Puzzle in Royal Road, but it has no credits (shocking...).

Another source I have looked at is Lets see the deck, which may have the first published version of this effect using a Royal Flush as the climax (can anyone confirm this?).

I really appreciate the help.
Ben Train

Re: Marlo/Gardner Poker Deal

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2007, 12:03 am

Originally posted by Nordatrax:
Hello Everyone.

I am looking for the first place this routine was published. The earliest source I have is A poker Puzzle in Royal Road, but it has no credits (shocking...).

Another source I have looked at is Lets see the deck, which may have the first published version of this effect using a Royal Flush as the climax (can anyone confirm this?).

I really appreciate the help.
Ben Train
It's also in Cut The Cards, by Martin Gardner, Chicago 1942, p. 11,as "The Surprised Gambler" which is reproduced in Martin Gardner Presents, Kaufman and Greenberg, 1993.

Let's See The Deck is earlier, though.

Speaking of Let's See The Deck, I bet Marlo didn't have to deal with people saying "Use your own deck!"

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2007, 12:27 am

When I said "Let's See The Deck is earlier, though," I meant earlier in a special Marlovian sense. Actually, Let's See The Deck and Cut The Cards were both published in 1942.

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2007, 7:10 am

Hey James.

You wouldn't have a copy of "lets see the deck" would you?

Also, according to someone on the magic cafe, something similar was written up in card manipulations, volume 4, page 108, with a royal flush kicker. Did this come out BEFORE the lets see the deck version, or after.

I'm very confused by the linage.

Thanks James!
Ben

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2007, 6:28 am

interesting....Card Manipulations has "An Effective Poker Deal", which is the same basic idea, although ends with a Royal Flush - the Gardner and Marlo versions go from Kings to Aces.
Card Manipulations appears to be dated 1934 - 36. No-one is credited. The whole book is weak on credits.

Marlo says the idea came up "a couple of years ago" when "we stumbled on to the idea" - giving credit jointly to him and Gardner.

Gardner does not claim credit, but because several of the other effects in the book are crediterd to others - including Marlo - the implication is that the rest of the material is his own.

Return to “Reference Room”