routines related to the 5 senses

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Jacky Kahan

routines related to the 5 senses

Postby Jacky Kahan » September 13th, 2005, 2:08 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for routines (Close-up) related to the 5 senses, any help or inspiration is welcome !
I need one or more routines per sense...

Thanks in advance

Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Tom Dobrowolski

Re: routines related to the 5 senses

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 13th, 2005, 2:47 pm

"Sleight of Ear" from Close Up Seductions by Paul Harris.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 13th, 2005, 2:57 pm

If you do 'Powers of Darkness' (Pabular, Lifesavers, Caveney's Ideas) you can cover touch and sight at the same time. Similar things can be done with loops.

Fizz Master might work for taste...

Blockhead might work for smell (somehow...)

If you really want to scrape the barrel there's something like spongeballs for touch (you didn't feel the extra ball yada yada)

Take care, Ian

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » September 13th, 2005, 4:11 pm

Roth's "Tuning Fork" and Gertner's "A Familiar Ring" both are all about sound....

brian :cool:

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2005, 4:51 pm

Gene Anderson sold a routine for the Si Stebbins Stack and the entire premise is the senses and how they help the cardician to find selected cards. Three dollars, from Gene directly...

Bobo has a great trick called "The Pulse Trick", I think it is - patter about the sense of touch and of sight being affected - it is a simple vanish and reproduction, but beautifully cloaked by the presentation - I have used it for years...

Corinda's "Powers of Darkness" was nicely re-done by Mike Caveney using coathangers. I have used simple wire hangers right out of my closet and done the trick for years - it is great - better than the "Paper Balls over the Head" since it can be presented in a different way - more like a demonstration than as a joke at the spectator's expense...

Don't forget the "bits of business" like switching a watch for keys under a hank, then throwing the "watch" to the floor - sounds like it is smashing. Switch back for the "restoration"...

Or, the gimmick for making a coin jump - it was a round piece of thin metal that you pushed down, and when it cooled it snapped back making the coin jump - this makes a noise that sounds exactly like glass cracking - show the crystal from a watch, substitute a cracked one under a hank with the gimmick sewn in the hem. Set all on the table and wait for the gimmick to go off - they "hear" the crystal "crack" from the "power of your mind"!

Or the gag where you ask the spectator to pull your arm, since it is out of its' socket - they pull and hear this awful cracking of bones as your arm is snapped back in place. A plactic cup under the arm will do the trick...

Lots of "sight" gags too - look at all the bits for strectching your arms, etc. "My Best" by Thompson had a whole sequence of things with your hands, arms, etc...

Best, PSC

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2005, 5:01 pm

In Ron Bauers CENT-sitivity!, you fool the spectators sense of touch with your FOOL THE SENSE OF TOUCH TEST KIT, from back in your MAGIC SCHOOL days. Available for free at Dan Turcottes You Do Magic Website. http://youdomagic.com/

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » September 13th, 2005, 5:43 pm

Check out Slydini's "Sweet Salt" from Slydini Encores for an excellent close-up trick involving taste.

Bob

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » September 13th, 2005, 7:41 pm

How about "The Five Senses" by Jim Steinmeyer? This was first described in Jim's 1992 lecture notes Strange Powers and Other Problems for Magicians, and later reprinted in his Conjuring column in Magic magazine, July 1997.

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » September 14th, 2005, 4:12 pm

There is a convention, run by my friend Mago Migue, related to the five senses. Each year, one of the senses is the main theme, mainly for the ads and posters, but some of it trascends to the magic . Check www.hocuspocusfestival.com

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » September 14th, 2005, 7:10 pm

Sight, Touch, and Sound can be POWERFULLY covered with the Tamariz "sense" routines in Mnemonica (mostly in part two...my library is a few hundred miles from me at the moment or I would have the specific titles and page numbers for you). Though not covered by Tamariz himself, it would certainly be possible to create a routine based on the same principles that dealt with smell and perhaps even taste

Best,

N.

Stefano

Postby Stefano » September 17th, 2005, 4:11 am

I think with just some thoughts you may adapt the wonderful Gipsy Thread routine, at your request.
You can make more memorable it by using the patter of five senses.

Look at The Fine Art of Magic by George Kaplan for an interested handling.
Hope it may help :)

Greetings from Switzerland

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » September 17th, 2005, 9:58 am

Hi all !

Many thanks for ALL your suggestions!

Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Return to “Reference Room”