Cups & Balls Routine

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Cups & Balls Routine

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2005, 9:44 pm

Regarding Rub a Dub: I received a copy awhile back. Sorry I haven't replied earlier. I'll get in touch with Phil Wilmarth on Monday to make sure I have permission or who to pay for the routine. Thanks again for all the help and comments.

Doug Anderson

Bob Taylor

Re: Cups & Balls Routine

Postby Bob Taylor » July 27th, 2005, 2:59 pm

What you're referring to is Toronto magician, Jack Bateman's Rub-A-Dub-Dub, a rhymed cups and balls routine marketed by the renowned Buffalo magic dealer, Gene Gordon, in, I believe, the 1950s and later included in his 1980 book: Gene Gordon's Magical Legacy, published by David Ginn. Although probably fairly scarce now, that book might well be obtainable through the second-hand and antique magic book dealers. Finding the Gene Gordon original, with the printed routine and, if memory serves, felt discs supplied - in lieu of balls - in a printed envelope, is probably much more difficult and unlikely something you would need, anyway. This routine certainly could be doable by a beginner - although the rhyme might be a little much for today's audiences unless performed tongue-in-cheek or within an established character that this patter might suit. Good luck and hope you find it.

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2005, 6:55 pm

Seems to me it was recently re-printed inGenii. I think it was in the Mike Skinner issue - Richard?

BEst, PSC

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » July 27th, 2005, 8:08 pm

The Genii Open Index http://themagicfiles.com/genii/
says it's in the November 2000 issue.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2005, 8:18 pm

I attended the monthly meeting of the Ft. Myers Magician's Society (combined IBM and SAMnmembers) this evening. I spoke with a man Named Bill Bremner from Sarasota ,FL. He informed me that he has the complete Rub-A-Dub-Dub routine in a PDF fromat that he can email. If anyone is interested, email me offlist, and and I will give you his contact info.....

Mark Pettey
Naples,FL

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 2nd, 2005, 9:13 pm

Gene Gordon's "Rub a Dub" routine is actually owned by Phil Willmarth, who in fact owns all of the Gene Gordon items. I didn't know that at the time I published the patter in the Michael Skinner issue.
It is not public domain and should not be sold or copied by anyone.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2005, 2:23 am

Gene Gordon's "Rub a Dub" routine is actually owned by Phil Willmarth, who in fact owns all of the Gene Gordon items. I didn't know that at the time I published the patter in the Michael Skinner issue

Actually, as far as I know...Phil does not own all the Gene Gordon stuff...initially, he (along with Rick Johnson) bought the rights from Karl Norman who had the rights to Gene Gordons mail order after Gene had retired. Recently Phil has sold the rights of several items to Paul Richards, owner and operator of Elmwood Magic and all round nice guy. Unfortunately...Rub-a-Dub-Dub wasn't one of the purchases...actually, I think Paul purchased the rights to the Hen Fetch line...some good stuff there!

Mike

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2005, 6:56 am

According to the gentleman I spoke with about this patter, he says he has permission from the owner to reproduce it. I was certainly not trying to encourage theft of creative rights. Only passing on what the gentleman told me. If this goes against the grain of this group, I will not give out the gentleman's contact info. Sorry to have caused a ruckus....

Mark Pettey
Naples,FL

Tabman

Postby Tabman » August 4th, 2005, 7:51 am

They don't shoot the messenger around here Mark, you got nothing to worry about!!! It's an informational exchange, something thats near and dear all our hearts. :)

-=tabman

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2005, 9:32 am

Thanks for the reassurance Tabman ! My offer of help was indeed a gesture of good will, no bad intent attached. I really love this forum, and have learned a HUGE amount in the past few weeks. I also paid for a subscription to Genii two days ago, so am really excited about getting the magazine (as is my son, the main reason I am here in the first place !). Thanks to all who "haunt" this site for the knowledge and wisdom they share....

A humble wizard returning to the craft,

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL

Earle Oakes

Postby Earle Oakes » August 4th, 2005, 10:27 pm

Rub-A-Dub-Dub is not in Gene Gordon's Magical Legacy.

Return to “Reference Room”