Ungimmicked 20th Century Silks

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Ryan Matney

Ungimmicked 20th Century Silks

Postby Ryan Matney » October 14th, 2007, 11:48 am

Could someone please direct me to a source for the ungimmicked 20th Century Silks. There are probably several versions. I just need to know how to load an 18inch silk hidden in another 18inch silk to tie the knots and produce the hidden silk.

I'm pretty sure I have it but want to be sure I'm not missing anything.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Re: Ungimmicked 20th Century Silks

Postby Guest » October 14th, 2007, 3:52 pm

Check out Rice's Encyclopedia.

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2007, 4:43 am

what your looking for, is the Vernon 20th cent silks.

The silks are prepaired, but there not gimmicked.
you just place 2 loose silks into a cone of paper, vanish a 3rd, and presto, all 3 are removed tied from the cone.( which is also ungimmicked)

Its in rice, but i originaly found it in a very early copy of Gen.

Michael Pascoe

Postby Michael Pascoe » October 31st, 2007, 7:27 pm

Ive seen a non gimmick version that works the same as the gimmicked ones. Im not sure if this is something Ive been thinking about or I saw it somewhere like Tarbell. Basically you fold one of the silks around the one to be produced and make a bag like the gimmick one. If I can find it, Ill share the source with you.

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 10:30 am

Alexander De Cova has a version of this trick on one of his "Treasures" videos. The silks aren't gimmicked, but other stuff is. It's quite a fooler.

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2007, 5:49 pm

My favorite version is the Douglas 20th Century, described in the Rice Encyclopedia, but also it it still the main version sold by Silk King Studios:

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice\'s%20Douglas%2020th%20Century.htm

You can use the silks alone to perform a straight ungimmicked silk version of the 20th century, but the Douglas ball makes it so much easier and adds a different element of surprise at the end.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 1st, 2007, 9:01 pm

I used to do the "Douglas" 20th Century Silks when I was a kid and into billiard ball magic. Don't you have to stuff the ball into your mouth at one point? Think I got tired of that ball smelling like spit after a while.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Reference Room”