Best reference to learn riffle pass

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Best reference to learn riffle pass

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2003, 11:12 am

My magic library contains all the books considered classic and essential. In addition, I have Daryl's 8 DVD encyclopedia of card magic. That said, I don't have a good source to learn how to do the various passes, especially the riffle pass. Further, I don't hang out with magicians, so taking a live lesson isn't an option. I would be amenable to paying for an online lesson, etc. Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Lou

Re: Best reference to learn riffle pass

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2003, 11:36 am

Originally posted by merlou:
My magic library contains all the books considered classic and essential. In addition, I have Daryl's 8 DVD encyclopedia of card magic. That said, I don't have a good source to learn how to do the various passes, especially the riffle pass. Further, I don't hang out with magicians, so taking a live lesson isn't an option. I would be amenable to paying for an online lesson, etc. Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Lou
Lou,

I would respectfuly suggest Richard Kaufman's video "On the pass" which is excellent. This, together with his "Basic basic card technique" video have helped me to taxi along the card runway. I've a long way to go before I even get one wheel into the air, but it's been an exciting trip so far!!! Richard explains everything really clearly for the pass.

Of course, there's a huge difference between comprehension and proficiency (sigh).

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2003, 11:56 am

Thanks for the info. Does the Kaufman video on the pass teach the invisible pass?

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2003, 12:00 pm

Thanks for the info. Does the Kaufman video on the pass teach the invisible pass?
Aren't all of Mr Kaufman's passes invisible? ;)

I can't remember off hand. Try searching in Google for "On the pass" and you'll soon find an index for the tape on one of the many online sites.

Good luck!

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » January 27th, 2003, 12:04 pm

I have "The Invisible Pass" book available as ebook in case you are interested: Lybrary.com

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 27th, 2003, 1:29 pm

Lou -- "Not hanging out" with magicians doesn't mean you can't take lessons.

It just means you have to make an appointment and show up when it's lesson time, like learning the piano.

I don't hang out with magicians, either, but I made it a point to get over to Mr. Kaufman's palatial pad when it was lesson time.

I guess it's a question of how much you want something.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2003, 2:02 pm

Matt,
Thanks for the lecture, but how about answering the question. Does "on the pass" contain the invisible pass?
Thanks,
Lou

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 27th, 2003, 2:15 pm

merlou, it depends what you mean. There is a monograph titled "The Invisible Pass" by Hugard and Braue: it is an explanation of the a Turnover Pass. If you want to know whether my video teaches it, the answer is yes, I teach the best Turnover Pass I know, but it is not invisible from all angles.
The best pass I do on the tape, from my own personal use, is the Half-Jiggle, which is "invisible" in the sense that you can look directly at the top of the deck and not see that I have done a pass (at least, when I've had to practice a bit! :) )
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2003, 2:33 pm

Thanks,
I'm sold.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 29th, 2003, 5:50 pm

Hi Lou-I would also recommend the Ken Krenzel video on the Pass. I believe it's volume #4 in the Krenzel series. Doctor Krenzel explains and demonstrates an assortment of passes-including the Riffle Pass.

You might be wondering, "Is this Krenzel dude really good?" Well my friend, Dr. Krenzel helped Derek Dingle master it-who taught it to Richard Kaufman. ;)

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2003, 8:40 am

I don't have a good source to learn how to do the various passes, especially the riffle pass.
Complete Works of Derek Dingle by Richard Kaufman has a detailed description of the riffle pass. If you don't have this book, it's one of the all-time classics. Another great resource is Card Classics of Ken Krenzel by Harry Lorayne

On-line video clips of various riffle passes are available at Peter Duffie's website HERE . This web page also gives links to video clips from other magicians, including Harvey Rosenthal and Steve Draun.

Good luck!
Ed

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » March 17th, 2003, 2:08 pm

I agree with all the above references and sources. I'll also offer a few "online lesson" classic pass pointers that can be found variously in the above-mentioned books and videos.

1. Hold the break along the right side, not at the back of the deck. The right fingers cover the breach in front (Krenzel).

2. Pull the top half of the deck to the right, i.e., across, rather than down.

3. You can jiggle, riffle, dip or do any number of things with your hands to hide the action, but just be aware that these actions draw attention to the hands, which isn't where you want attention to be. It's not wrong, per se, it's just something to be aware of.

4. One interesting illusion is that if you bow the deck, i.e., squeeze with the right hand so the deck goes concave, and then do the pass as you release the pressure, it hides the telltale flash of the lower-left corner without having to lift, tilt or dip.

And, of course, there's always the double cut. ;)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 17th, 2003, 3:25 pm

Jay Sankey's Sankey-tized vol 2. is also a good source. Ken Krenzel has a tape solely on passes, originally from Videonics and recently re-released. The Jim Swain tapes cover passes in all their forms.

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » March 17th, 2003, 5:37 pm

You all should take a look at the new Genii (with Shade on the cover).

There's an amazing riffle pass by Harvey Rosenthal and Steve Draun, the 3 A.M. Shift.

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2003, 12:18 am

Don't forget the awesome Midnight Shift from Steve Drauns book, Secrets Draun from Underground.

Michael Vincent
London

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2003, 6:15 am

The term "invisible pass" certainly is controversial.

I have a video you might want to look at, demonstrating the Half a Jiggle pass Richard referred to. It's great fun to practice!

I hope I do the move justice, being somewhat isolated from other magicians I have never seen it performed.

http://81.6.252.184/vids.htm

P.S. It's on a personal web server, but should be available most of the time.

pduffie

Postby pduffie » March 18th, 2003, 8:57 am

Hi Paul

I think it looks great.

Best Wishes

Peter

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2003, 3:02 pm

Thanks for your kind words. I just noticed that damn botom card squeezed out at the end, not a feature I'd recommend! :rolleyes:

Roy McIlwee
Favorite Magician: Steve Dusheck

Postby Roy McIlwee » March 28th, 2003, 4:08 pm

Lou, Another great book on the pass is by Gary Ouellet called "The Pass".It is a very detailed account of how to learn the pass, move by move. Check it out, I think you may like this book. Roy McIlwee.

DChung

Postby DChung » March 28th, 2003, 9:02 pm

Originally posted by Roy McIlwee:
Lou, Another great book on the pass is by Gary Ouellet called "The Pass".It is a very detailed account of how to learn the pass, move by move. Check it out, I think you may like this book. Roy McIlwee.
I agree that this is a great book. Though, it doesn't really explain the riffle pass. It only describes it vaguely in passing.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 28th, 2003, 10:45 pm

Unfortunately Gary Ouellet's book teaches the central covering action of my Half-Jiggle Pass with no credit. I remember quite well teaching it to Gary, so I was rather disappointed when the book came out to hear him praising the work of so many others for their passes, yet appropriating my ideas!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

DChung

Postby DChung » April 1st, 2003, 8:50 pm

Richard, I just dug up my Ouellet book and he gives you credit on p. 63 for "the arc of the right hand." Isn't that your covering action, or am I just confused?

Return to “Reference Room”