reference for comparison

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
seraph127

reference for comparison

Postby seraph127 » August 8th, 2003, 10:42 am

In Kaufman's Cardmagic is an entry on his own personal "Double and Triple Lift." Concerning the final phase of the action he says:
The last sequence is a variation of the D'Amico Change.
I've experimented a fair bit with the basic action and have found (probably rediscovered) some interesting applications. What I'd like to find is a description of the "original" D'Amico Change for comparison purposes. When I googled on the phrases "D'Amico Change" and "Damico Change" (I know how some people are bit lackadaisical about spelling) I found ONE reference. Apparently it was a magic video in French. Well, I'm a REAL 'murikan and don't talk no furrin talk ;-) If one exists, I'd like to consult a source in English which, if not in print, is still for retail sale somewhere. Any suggestions?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: reference for comparison

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 8th, 2003, 11:02 am

The D'Amico Change is simple enough:
A double card is held in the palm-up right hand at the center of the right long side between the thumb, above, and first and second fingertips, beneath. The face of the double card is flashed for a moment and then the right hand turns palm down again.
The left thumb strokes the back of the double card and flicks its outer left corner. During this the hands move together and apart--a few inches in and out. In the process, the right first and second fingertips shove the lowermost card of the double squarely on top of the deck.
After a bit more flicking and stroking, the single card is turned face up to reveal the change.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 8th, 2003, 1:36 pm

Richard,
I recall reading about the "D'Amico unload" which I've always taken to be more like the Vernon unload in that the face card of the double is unloaded as the card comes in proximity to the top of the pack.

Did D'Amico do this or is it simply something that's evolved from his change?

seraph127

Postby seraph127 » August 8th, 2003, 6:40 pm

Mr. Kaufman,
Many thanks for the information and for saving me time and money. While I do enjoy buying books on magic (and in general; there's a little of the bibliophile in me), the budget's a smidge tight right now and I'm currently obtaining "theory" books, especially the ones that are out of print or soon to be (oddly enough, I have one on the way that you published - Ortiz's Strong Magic).

I wonder why the sleight is so obscure; the unloading action is easy and versatile.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 8th, 2003, 6:50 pm

The D'Amico Change IS an unload of the lowermost card of a double. So, call it what you will (or what others will), the mechanics of the sleight remain the same.
I'm fairly certain that either Buckly or Marlo were the first to describe this in print--I'm sure Racherbaumer can give cite the reference.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 8th, 2003, 8:00 pm

The left thumb strokes the back of the double card and flicks its outer left corner.
This is the part that has me confused. It's an action that would seem designed as a "magical gesture" like Dingle's handling of the BoTop Change.

I've never done the D'Amico move in this way... I've always just unloaded the card on the top of the pack 'en passant'. Should I be crediting someone else with the "non flicking" version?

Thanks all,
bill

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 8th, 2003, 9:13 pm

The D'Amico move is not just a method of unloading the face card of a double, though it does that. Just dumping off the face card of a double is older than the hills.
The D'Amico Change is a CHANGE and, yes, the stroking and flicking are "magical gestures" of the sort that some frown upon. The face of the card is shown, it's stroked and flicked, and the face of the card is shown and it has changed.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 8th, 2003, 10:51 pm

Richard,
Thanks for the help. Do you know of a published credit for the first unload designed to appear as if the card doesn't contact the top of the pack?

Other than Vernon's I'm at a loss to think of any...

Return to “Reference Room”