ring and rope stuff

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

ring and rope stuff

Postby Guest » June 14th, 2005, 5:45 pm

I'm looking for about as much information as possible on a certain ring and rope effect.

A length of rope a little over 24" and a 4 inch metal ring is used. The ends of the rope are held in the hand and the bight hangs down so the rope looks like the letter "U." The bight is threaded through the ring and the ring is held horizontally while the rope hangs down vertically. The ring is held up about 3/4ths up the length of the rope. The ring is held at the very tips of the thumb, first, and second finger.

Drop the ring. The ring falls down the length of the rope and the rope flips itself around into a cow hitch and the ring is tied onto the rope. (A collapsed square knot creates one straight rope and one cow hitch.)

I hope that explains it the "trick." If any of you know where this one comes from, if and where it is published, etc., etc.,....I would sure love to know more about it.

Thanks!

Ian Kendall

Re: ring and rope stuff

Postby Ian Kendall » June 15th, 2005, 12:19 am

It's the final stage of Mark Leveridge's The Ring Competition (although in that move the ends are knotted and the ring 'ties' itself to the knot.

It's also taught in the Klutz book of Magic, and probably thirty seven other places as well...

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2005, 7:45 pm

Thank you, Ian.

And my thanks to all of you that have contacted me privately.

Postby Guest » June 23rd, 2005, 7:51 pm

Scott Guinn has a ring and rope routine that pieces together some fine ideas from a number of sources. In his routine, the ring is always magically put onto and back off the rope in every phase. Never is the rope untied to remove the ring, so every happening is magical. The move you requested is part of the routine, and he has some good advice in helping you master it, contrary to some of the advice in other published works.

The routine can be found on his DVD, GREAT SCOTT IT'S MAGIC, and in his trilogy of books with the same name. Volume 3, Great Scott It's MORE Magic, has his latest update of the routine in its new third edition.

For more info, email him here:

gr8scott6@yahoo.com

Jon

Return to “Reference Room”