A bill routine I've seen Kaps perform

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
John Bodine

A bill routine I've seen Kaps perform

Postby John Bodine » July 7th, 2004, 10:24 pm

I'm not sure Kaps was the first to perform it but I'm looking for a reference to a routine he performed on a tape I watched. The routine uses 3 $5 bills and 5 $1 bills for a total of $20. Money is counted to show $20, clipped together at one end and handed to the spectator who upon counting only finds $19...

Please note, this is not Kaps handling of Patrick Page's EZ Money but a different effect.

Wondering if someone out there might know of a reference to this routine.

Kind regards,

johnbodine

Re: A bill routine I've seen Kaps perform

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2004, 5:59 am

Well, it's been awhile since I saw or read the effect...but it sure sounds alot like Bert Allerton's Bamboozeled from the Stars of Magic.

Mike

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » July 8th, 2004, 1:20 pm

John,

I hate to differ with Mike, but I think you're talking about a version of George Starke's "Hornswoggled". Originally published in Hugard's Magic Monthly and later varied and republished in numerous journals. Somebody please correct me if I'm remembering this wrong.

The bulldog clip is a very clever way of displaying the bills for this effect, and the combination of 5's and 1's is characteristic of "Hornswoggled". However, I know Kaps also did the Victor "11 card trick" with bills, in that case, all the same denomination, and in the manuscript released on that trick, he states that he used to clip the bills together. So there's a chance it was the Victor trick you saw.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 8th, 2004, 1:41 pm

Not the 11 bill trick (which is a counting trick) but am pretty sure Fred's was indeed Hornswoggled... he may have had a touch or two, but basically it was the Starke effect.
Stay tooned.

John Bodine

Postby John Bodine » July 8th, 2004, 4:42 pm

I think you got it Curtis. Kaps used a bulldog type clip to clip the money together. I'll have to track down a reference to hornswaggled but you've pointed me in the correct direction, thanks much!

johnbodine

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2004, 6:40 pm

"Hornswoggled" appeared in "Hugard's Magic Monthly", and was included in J. G. Thompson's compilation, "My Best", if memory serves...

Best, PSC

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2004, 8:31 pm

I hate to differ with Mike, but I think you're talking about a version of George Starke's "Hornswoggled". Originally published in Hugard's Magic Monthly and later varied and republished in numerous journals. Somebody please correct me if I'm remembering this wrong.

Curtis,
I stand corrected...you are right (but don't do it again;)) Funny thing is, after I posted my message...I knew I was wrong...just think how much I hate to differ with myself...LOL!

Mike

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » July 9th, 2004, 3:30 pm

Fred did the Starke routine without any changes in the trick per se -- but, he created a brilliant justification for the bulldog clip, which made a hell of a difference.

However, so far as I know, that was never published.

Return to “Reference Room”