Looking for Nick Trost

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Looking for Nick Trost

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2005, 6:54 am

Does anyone have any contact information for Nick Trost.I feel he is very underrated and deserves some accolades and some recognition for what he has done for magic.His book The Card Magic of Nick Trost is actually my favorite card book ( more sublety than sleights ).
His packet effects from the 70's are still great, not easy to find though.Last information heard about him was he was from Ohio but shyed away from the magic scene.
Can anyone help me out with this quest?
Rennie

Re: Looking for Nick Trost

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2005, 9:13 pm

Someone has to know a way to contact Nick Trost. I received a few leads that did not pan out. Anyone ?
Rennie

justin

Postby justin » March 5th, 2005, 9:21 pm

I saw Nick at the grocery store and then at magi-ferst. we live in the same state. let me see what i can do.
Justin.
www.closeupartist.com

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2005, 6:34 am

Hi Justin,
Any luck in finding Nick Trost yet?Do you happen to know if he still manufactures packet effects?
Rennie

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » March 10th, 2005, 6:57 am

Rennie,
If you're not aware, L&L has just re-release 8 of Nick Trosts classic packet tricks. Here's the list:

4 FLUSH!
AUSTRALIAN ACES
THE UNKNOWN CARD
HORSINAROUND
BIGFOOT
MISSISSIPPI MONTE
DEALERS CHOICE
MAXI TWISTO

They're just $10 each -- see http://www.llpub.com for details. If you buy all eight, they'll throw in Super Showdown for free.

-Jim

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2005, 8:43 am

Nick lives here in Columbus and yes, he does shy away from magic gatherings here in town. As he does (or at least used to) lecture in other cities and states the biblical "no man is a prophet in his own land" comes to mind. The closest brush I've ever had with him is that he gets his hair cut next door to a magic shop I frequent--but he never stops in.

He IS great, and the L&L book you cited is indeed wonderful. A version of his 'Matched Picture Cards' is always the next-to-last effect I do with cards. It's worth twice the price of the book. Paul Swinford's routine which combines two versions of it is pretty nifty, too.

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2005, 2:02 pm

Dan,
I would love to corner him in that barber shop and just pick his brain for a few hours.Did you ever attempt to talk to him or do you think he wants nothing to do with magic anymore?
Rennie

Randy DiMarco

Postby Randy DiMarco » March 10th, 2005, 3:04 pm

Nick is very much involved with magic. He just doesn't frequent many conventions or clubs. He used to attend Magi-Fest every year with Bill Miesel. I don't know if he went this year.

justin

Postby justin » March 10th, 2005, 8:32 pm

No, I talked with him at the fest.
Justin.

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2005, 11:22 am

Rennie,

I think he's just a fairly private man. I know he sessions with Al Thatcher (himself an amazing magical thinker--look up some of his old stuff in The Pheonix)who also lives in town (although I haven't seen Al around for a while and heard he may be in ill health.) As for not attending the magic clubs here--if you'd been to one you'd understand. Near-corpses and self-proclaimed 'experts' rambling their way through Roberts' Rules of Order, followed by demonstrations of stuff learned quickly "for the meeting." I shy away myself.

Good to hear he was at Magi-Fest this year, though.

Return to “Reference Room”