What is the best closup pad ?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

What is the best closup pad ?

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2004, 9:55 am

Any opinions on what the best closeup pad is and where to find it ?

-Squeed

Re: What is the best closup pad ?

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2004, 10:21 am

www.MagicManiacs.com

Custom close-up pads built to your specific needs and shipped anywhere.

Alain Roy

Postby Alain Roy » January 6th, 2004, 12:20 pm

Squeed--

From a previous post, I see that you haven't been in magic very long, and you bought a close-up pad already. I would recommend one of two courses of action:

1) Stick with you current close-up pad.
2) Buy a placemat. When I started out, I went to a kitchen store and bought a plush placement for about $4. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well.

Why do I recommend this? Because I think you will be better served by buying other products to further your magical education (my preference is books, but perhaps videos or tricks) instead of a better close-up pad.

Don't forget--when you are starting out, practicing on a carpet floor works pretty well too.

-alain

mark

Postby mark » January 6th, 2004, 12:47 pm

...but if you are determined to buy one, check out Dean Dill's stuff - he has gorgeous close-up pads.

Erik Hemming

Postby Erik Hemming » January 6th, 2004, 2:08 pm

If you're looking for somthing servicable and cheap, Walmart sells a semi-circular, rubber-backed, tightly woven rug that is a great practice pad. The draw-back is that it looks more or less like what it is: a cheap rug.

The Maniac pad is a comparative bargain: hard board, nicely padded, cool brass corners, and it looks good. But mine had a fundamental design flaw when I bought it.

The pad has a couple of hold-out slots for cards and coins in the back. When I purchased mine, they had mounted the feet in a rectangular pattern under the audience-side 2/3 of the board/pad. (Instead of in the corners of the pad.) The result was that the pad was prone to popping up if I rested my hands too hard on the back third.

Some would argue that this isn't a flaw, but a feature. (You can do impromptu spiritualism effects: "And now, by the occult power of the great spirit Fulcrum Numismo, watch as all the coins go flying onto the floor!")

Me, I just moved the back two feet into the corners--where they belong--and called it a day.

I think, to some degree, which pad one chooses is a matter of personality. (Or lack thereof.)

I've experimented with a variety of things, including tightly woven Persian rugs, big mouse pads, and a D. A. pad from Mr. Busby. All of them are servicable to one degree or another. The best advice is to find something cheap to practice on, then when you feel like you're ready to perform, choose which ever pad fits your style and presentation best, then practice some more.

But, like Alain said, if you've got one, spend your time practicing instead of shopping for pads. When you know which kind of magic you really want to present, you'll know what kind of pad--if any--you need.

Gordo

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2004, 2:38 pm

Gordo absolutely brilliant your rendition had me in stitches. That's London speak for had my sides aching. Barry

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » January 7th, 2004, 7:47 am

Lots of good suggestions here. If for you it comes down to one of the mid-range standard, magician close-up surfaces (that would be Apollo or Gibson I think), then I would recommend Gibson hands down for richness of color and hand-friendly texture.
Michael Kamen

Postby Guest » January 7th, 2004, 8:16 am

Magicians Choice pads are guaranteed for life. Ronjo just made custom pads for Darwin Ortiz and David Roth's show.

http://www.ronjo.com/Merchant2/merchant ... y_Code=mts

Return to “Reference Room”