Side Show Stunts

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Side Show Stunts

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2003, 9:10 am

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for references for carney stunts, i.e. nail in the head, tears of glass, etc. etc. Anybody have a good reference text for such oddities?

Thanks much,

Timothy

Re: Side Show Stunts

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2003, 10:53 am

Memoirs of a sword swallower by Daniel P. Mannix is a great read as I remember

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » January 2nd, 2003, 3:05 pm

The how-to-do-it aspects are scattered in the literature; however, you might check out Todd Robinson's video, which was put out by Joe Stevens's (Sideshow Magic-Volume 53) of the Greater Magic library.

I'm surprised there isn't a Geek Handbook?

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » January 2nd, 2003, 4:24 pm

Originally posted by Jon Racherbaumer:
The how-to-do-it aspects are scattered in the literature; however, you might check out Todd Robinson's video, which was put out by Joe Stevens's (Sideshow Magic-Volume 53) of the Greater Magic library.

I'm surprised there isn't a Geek Handbook?
There is a book titled GEEK MAGIC, Jon. I recently sold a copy and for the life of me I can't recall the author.
Have fun and as always,

Best thoughts,
John Smetana :cool:

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » January 2nd, 2003, 10:03 pm

Todd Robbins' video "Magic of the Sideshow" is, I'm sure, still available through Stevens Magic Emporium, as are copies of "Swami/Mantra" which detail many of the geek sideshow/spooky-creepy aspects of magic.

However, as Todd himself would tell you, many of these stunts are dangerous and you'd be best off learning as an apprentice to a working pro.

Todd has run at least two editions of "Sideshows by the Seashore" at Coney Island (see website here ) where you can learn all the tricks of the trade from the real pros.

This is nothing to joke around about -- my good friend Charon Henning apprenticed to one of the legends of the sideshow business and yet still spent several nights in the ICU of Johns Hopkins because of a mishap.

Don't play around with this -- if you're going to learn it, learn it right; talk to Todd or take the Sideshow School course.

brian :cool:

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2003, 7:46 am

Thanks for the info guys, I've got a copy of memoirs on order and I'm planning on tracking down some of the others. Also appreciated are the cautionary words, and while Coney Island isn't exactly next door it's probably a trip I should schedule anyhow. :)

-Timothy

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2003, 4:06 am

William Lindsay Gresham, the author of "Nightmare Alley", published an excellent series of articles in book form way back in 1954. :cool:
The title is "Monster Midway" but I fear it will be long out of print. :(

Return to “Reference Room”