Ganson's Unconventional Magic Cover

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Jonathan Townsend

Ganson's Unconventional Magic Cover

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 19th, 2005, 4:50 am

This small book, unconventional MAGIC, by Lewis Ganson, published by Harry Stanley has a picture on the cover of what appears to be a cigarette and matchbox levitation.

Who is the performer?
Is this trick in print, and if so where?

Thanks in advance -Jon
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Edwin Corrie

Re: Ganson's Unconventional Magic Cover

Postby Edwin Corrie » May 19th, 2005, 8:24 am

The photo sounds familiar - I seem to remember one of a young Lewis Ganson passing a ring over a floating cigarette, which may have been on the cover of Harry Stanley's "Gen" at some point. There was one issue that described a trick with a flame that rises up to light a cigarette in your mouth, but that was probably something different.

So not much help really, just a few hazy recollections. Maybe someone here has access to "The Gen" and can check.

I also found this, but neither edition is the one you refer to:

http://www.joyalstack.com/Pages/DejaLu/ ... anson.html

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » May 19th, 2005, 10:47 am

Photo was of Lewis Ganson.
Anthony

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 19th, 2005, 11:36 am

Originally posted by Anthony Brahams:
Photo was of Lewis Ganson.
Thanks Anthony. Did the routine with a floating lit cigarette and match box (the pic shows him with a small hoop in his hand) ever make it to print?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » May 19th, 2005, 1:34 pm

Jon, I did recall that picture and just had a renewed look at the cover of Unconventional Magic.

Of course it is Lew Ganson on that pic, but I never looked at it other then to me it was simply a promo photo and never a trick/routine whatever..just one of those things one does 'set-up' as a promo....
I really think I am correct re my thoughts... :D

Oh my..I just scanned through the booklet and I actually did a single one of the routines described therein way back in 1966...Ken Brookes handling of the *Vanishing cardcase and cards* actually a nice opener for a cardroutine..

Return to “Reference Room”