Magician/Physicians - "Mazicians"

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Magician/Physicians - "Mazicians"

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2003, 2:05 pm

I am a practicing Physician (Internist/Geriatrician) for 25 years, and Magician (Close-up) for about 40 years. Over the years I've met a number of fellow "Mazicians" (excuse the 'title'), and am quite interested in finding out how many of us there are.I feel quite passionate about both and believe that, in some ways, each augments the other (and I'm not referring to "psychic surgery or "Shamanism"). Somehow the medical encounter with my patients gains a human touch with the addition of a bit of magic at the end of the visit (of course, if patient is agreeable and circumstances are appropriate). I'ld like to know how many,now and in the past, have stayed with Magic, Medicine or both. Jay Ungar (M.D.)/ Ragnu The O.K>

Re: Magician/Physicians - "Mazicians"

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2003, 3:03 pm

See my emailed response

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2003, 6:55 pm

I've been a practicing dermatologist for 15 years. I've been passionate about closeup magic and mentalism since my early teen years after seeing a demonstrator at the Houdini Museum in Niagara Falls. I use it occasionally in the office for children as a reward for cooperative behaviour after a procedure. Although I'm a hobbyist I find the creativity, problem-solving, dexterity, and social skills involved in magic have added depth to my practice as a physician.

Raj

Postby Guest » January 10th, 2003, 3:52 am

Raj, Thanks for your input. I agree with you, but why do you limit your magic in your office to just children. I've found childreen of all ages appreciate it. And by the way what do you generally show them? Jay/Ragnu

Postby Guest » January 10th, 2003, 8:31 pm

Jay, Time constraints of an office visit obviously limit my time to perform magic for patients. I reserve it for "special" occasions and the patients view it the same way. It is rare that I perform for adults unless requested based on word of mouth. Typically the parents are as amazed as the kids!

I do coin vanishes and reproductions, a rubberband and ring penetration ("Uncanny Penetrating Finger Ring" from Apocalypse, pp.1350-1351), and an invisible coin prediction based on Dennis Marks' and Phil Goldstein's work.

And you?

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2003, 9:40 am

Did you guys read the David Copperfield Project Magic feature in this month's Genii? It looked at the way healthcare professionals have used magic as a therapeutic tool for their patients. It was my favourite article.

HappyTrickster

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2003, 12:50 pm

I am a vascular surgeon who does illusion shows. I was lucky enough to start with not one but two ladies from the David Copperfield show. They have moved on to Texas and Nevada, but the show goes on. I perform both for paid and benefit causes. I have voluteered may services for the DC "Project Magic" and get regular correspondance from them, but I have never been contacted to help.

Return to “Reference Room”