I need Tally ho

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

I need Tally ho

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2004, 6:54 pm

Hi folks
Ive got a simple question and I dont know if its the right place to ask but nevertheless I ask.
Im looking for tally ho playing cards. Where do u guys order them?
I also need some double backed and double faced cards. I know some sites where I can order them but maybe someone of you know a very good site... where its not so expensive. :help:

Another question: every wal-mart, k-mart, whatever mart sells bicycle, bee, aviator etc. brand but Ive never seen Tally Hos. Why is that?
Does anybody have a clue about that?

Not that buying bikes or bees in wal-mart isnt cool but i prefer tally hos. You may ask yourselfes why I think its cool to buy these brands at wal-mart. Thats because Im from Germany and these brands are not officially sold overe there. I mean you cant buy them at wal-mart,we have to order them from our magic dealers.

I live in the USA now and like it very much...
Thats enough for now...

greetz from NM
Kevin

Bill Mullins

Re: I need Tally ho

Postby Bill Mullins » May 7th, 2004, 9:38 am

Haines House of Cards (website) sells Tally-Hos; I believe Denny & Lee's carries them as well.

For your gaffed cards, will what you are doing work with two cards simply glued together?

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2004, 9:46 am

Well Ive thought about glueing two cards together, but I never tried cardsplitting.

Using just two cards without splitting wouldnt be what I need because I want to hand the cards out to the spectator after the performance...

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2004, 10:37 am

As far as gaffed cards go I have two words for you.

GARY PLANTS.

He's the best at building custom gaffed cards. His work is beautiful. Check out his website at:

http://home.houston.rr.com/mylist/index.html

You won't be disappointed!

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2004, 11:01 am

My Magic Shop, the Magic APple sells Tally Ho, Bee, Avaitor, Bicycles etc...

Any questions - please call me 818-508-9921

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » May 7th, 2004, 11:31 am

Originally posted by Buzz Hays:
As far as gaffed cards go I have two words for you.

GARY PLANTS.
I agree 100% -- his work is absolutely fantastic. I just placed an order with him last week (for the gaffs for Wesley James's Watch the Wild Ace). The prices are good, he ships them out fast, and most importantly, the gaffs look great. I couldn't have asked for better.

-Jim

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 7th, 2004, 6:58 pm

Yes, Gary's gaffed cards are beautiful--the best on the market right now. The set of "Poor Charlie" he recently made for me was as nice as the ones Derek Dingle himself used to make.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 7th, 2004, 7:45 pm

Cards by Martin. He showed me his "Poor Charlie" cards today... awesome.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 8th, 2004, 10:24 pm

Thanks Pete............by the way, I bought the rights from Derek to make the Poor Charlie cards. I have it in writing!

Gary Plants

Postby Guest » May 9th, 2004, 8:38 am

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to thank Buzz, Richard, and Jim for their nice comments....not Pete.

Postby Guest » May 9th, 2004, 9:48 am

For a fairly cheap price on TH9 playing cards I would suggest The Gamblers General Store in Las Vegas, aka --- The playing card SuperMarket.

click here to launch their website but I would suggest calling them and just telling them what you need.

Hope that helps,

dan

James Foster

Postby James Foster » May 9th, 2004, 9:59 am

Since we are talking about harder-to-find playing cards, I'll relate the following interesting story.

I was in Canada recently and went looking for the infamous Texan playing cards as immortalized by Busby in his book Secrets of the Palmettos. No luck finding the cards anywhere.

Then, I'm back in central Texas, at a large grocery store and, lo&behold, there are many sets at less than $2 a pack. They are the cards made in Canada, but now being sold in Texas. The guy at the store indicated that they probably got them because of the name of the card. Anyway, it's interesting to see these cards on display at the grocery store. Not a bad quality card either.

BTW, the Bee cards I bought in Canada seemed to be of better quality than the ones in get in the US.

All the best,

James Foster

Postby Guest » May 9th, 2004, 12:15 pm

James,
I love hearing stories like that. I heard one story of a guy who found the original Stars of Magic series in a binder at a bookstore for $2. :eek:

I just wish I could find deals like that... :cool:

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2005, 11:11 pm

www.ellusionist.com has a really good deal on tally ho cards and tally ho viper cards. Check them out.

Postby Guest » August 24th, 2005, 4:12 pm

ellusionist.com is a great site, but you dont have a near by magic shop?? I just hate the shipping price on these websites. Ellusionist is not that bad, i think its like 3.95 for everything no matter how many.

John Wilson

Postby John Wilson » August 25th, 2005, 12:14 am

The best deal that I've found for Tally-Hos is through www.magicproshop.com ordering by the case. Several sites offer the circle back design, but I prefer the fan back. Here is the link to the THs by the case. They also offer the league back design bikes as well as the new green backed bikes. They show the Texan cards on back order. If you are looking for squeezers or other rare pasteboards, I would suggest Kardwell.com.

As to the question of why they are so difficult to find in stores...if everybody had them, I probably wouldn't want them. I personally just prefer the back and ace of spades design on the Tally-Hos.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » August 28th, 2005, 8:24 pm

Originally posted by dbsquared:
For a fairly cheap price on TH9 playing cards I would suggest The Gamblers General Store in Las Vegas, aka --- The playing card SuperMarket.

click here to launch their website but I would suggest calling them and just telling them what you need.

Hope that helps,

dan
I didn't see any Tally Ho cards on their site. I also did a search there and it didn't come up.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » August 28th, 2005, 8:29 pm

Originally posted by Kevthefish:
Hi folks
Ive got a simple question and I dont know if its the right place to ask but nevertheless I ask.
Im looking for tally ho playing cards. Where do u guys order them?
I also need some double backed and double faced cards. I know some sites where I can order them but maybe someone of you know a very good site... where its not so expensive. :help:

Another question: every wal-mart, k-mart, whatever mart sells bicycle, bee, aviator etc. brand but Ive never seen Tally Hos. Why is that?
Does anybody have a clue about that?

Not that buying bikes or bees in wal-mart isnt cool but i prefer tally hos. You may ask yourselfes why I think its cool to buy these brands at wal-mart. Thats because Im from Germany and these brands are not officially sold overe there. I mean you cant buy them at wal-mart,we have to order them from our magic dealers.

I live in the USA now and like it very much...
Thats enough for now...

greetz from NM
Kevin
Tally-Ho! cards are what is termed a "regional" card. They are sold primarily in New York; however, there is a very simple way to locate a supplier. If you will go to www.google.com, there is a thing there called a "search engine."

Put Tally Ho playing card into the box on the "search engine," and several places will come up that actually sell these.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2005, 6:24 am

Using just two cards without splitting wouldnt be what I need because I want to hand the cards out to the spectator after the performance...
You want to hand out a double-backer or a double-facer to a layman?

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » August 30th, 2005, 7:22 pm

The guy doesn't even know how to Google. Do you think he understands when to pass out the gaffs?
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » August 31st, 2005, 8:15 am

Originally posted by 0pus:
You want to hand out a double-backer or a double-facer to a layman?

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Darwin Ortiz' Bold Fusion ends by giving the gaff to the spectators. Of course, this is not presented as a gaff but as the result of the fusion of two cards. Great reaction!

Regards.

Richard

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2005, 9:03 am

Bob Farmer's Mutanz does likewise.

Dave

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2005, 6:04 pm

What are thne prices of the Tally Ho decks that are quoted on these various sites? I have an account with the uspcc - maybe I can help

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » September 1st, 2005, 3:59 pm

I checked the Magic Pro shop and interestingly, the ad for the TallyHo single decks states "Regular price $2.80", "Our Price 2.94."

Guess they don't sell many single decks.

Return to “Reference Room”