Does Anyone Know What This Is?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Does Anyone Know What This Is?

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2007, 6:10 pm

Hey Guys!
I was going through a box of junk and I found this weird token, I cleaned it off a bit with a dry cloth it was dirty but I didn't polish it up.
On one side it does say copy. And on the other side it has a CEAA and I think an R not sure.
What ever it is, it's an old copy.
I think it is brass, there is a unicorn and a man on one side, I think and the other side is part of an animal and a side view of the devils face I think, he does have horns.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks! Weird Token?

Re: Does Anyone Know What This Is?

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2007, 9:17 pm

It looks like a Greek (or Med island) souvenir token to me....That is probably Zeus' head on Taurus....I could not make out the reverse, but it sounds like a unicorn, from what you said....

That should put you in the ball park, but finding an ancient coin that looks anything like it is going to be tough....Try a coin shop and an ancient-coin identifier to give you an idea of the coin the token was made to represent...

opie

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2007, 10:40 pm

The inscription is Greek. The lettering is not CEAA. The two As are actually Lambdas. Ir may appear to be an old copy, but it probably isn't any older than about 30 years.

There are a lot of these made as souvenirs and teaching aids.

If you want old coins for magic, find a good coin dealer. Some of the ancient coins are actually quite inexpensive. There is a kind of coin that was used in Egypt from around 300 BC to somewhat after the time of Cleopatra, called a "Ptolemy." They are large copper coins, mysterious looking, and quite inexpensive for their age. You can probably get one for about $30.

Postby Guest » January 22nd, 2007, 12:15 am

Does this look familiar?
http://www.s-ivy.jp/coin4.gif

How about this?
http://www.antiquanova.com/images/g34.jpg

It seems to be spelling Gela which is the ancient word for Sicily in the 4th century BC.

The head is of a man-headed bull (river God Achelaos)which seems to show up quite often in Sicilian coins of that era.

Postby Guest » January 22nd, 2007, 4:10 am

Thank you, Opie! :-) I appreciate the reply!

Bill thank you also, I am not looking to buy any , I am just going through some old boxes of stuff in some old trunks here , trying to find something to throw on ebay since we have been iced in for over a week. Actually, I found another ones of these also. So, I have two, they are neat tho..
I sold that Pearl Tangley token and people have emailed me if I have another one. So, maybe I could have, so I am looking around. Thank you again for your time! :-)

Dave!! Yes!! It looks like those sorta. A lil different but you found what it almost looks like!!
I can use that for a guide of sort.
I am going to list it on ebay for ONE penny like I did the other token. Maybe someone will like it.
I have alot of old lil tokens here , mostly grocery ones and some old french coins and some with crowns on them, I don't think they have any value. I did sell an old grocery store token once for $225.00, I was shocked!

You guys have been great!!

I just wanted to make not that , my son works at a Insurance Service. I was digging around there a few weeks ago and there are these two large crates, my son said they have been there for years, anyway's they opened them and there are these big wood trunks in there and lot's of rope and two neat directors chairs which have Pascal (sp) on them, they are huge. He said it came off a movie set. I don't think the chairs are more than 20 years old, but they are oak and real nice heavy ones.
I am going to see what is in those wood trunks when I can get back out there. Maybe some of you guys that do magic shows would be interested in the lil trucks to put your magic things in they are a neat size with handles, all wood.

I have two fabulous lights, they are from the 50's
They are display , stage lights, that make things look 3D sorta. Really cool. I found one, but I need to find where I put the other. I will get you guys a picture. They make a setting come to life, if you know what I am trying to say..LOL! They make things stand out.
Anyway's thanks again guys!
Have a great day!

Postby Guest » January 22nd, 2007, 5:09 am

the "unicorn", is probably supposed to be a 3 tailed horse. This was a common symbol on coinage.( and probably where we get heads, and tails from).
Last night there was an excelent Time team,( u.k archeology series)
where on the dig, they found 2 bronze age coins.
one of which, the first of it's kind found in europe.
This bore a striking resembalance to your reproduction coin.

Postby Guest » January 22nd, 2007, 5:32 am

I followed that link Dave sent. I found it on there.
It is a man on a chariot, there is a wheel under his feet and then the horse. It looks sorta like this but not as detailed as this one.
I wish it was this!!
Then the other side is like this
River God Head on left
Oh well, I'll keep digging maybe I will find something worth more than a penny! LOL!
I thought that Tangley token was some arts and crafts thingy made by the boy scouts at first..LOL!
Have a great day!

Return to “Reference Room”