breaking glass

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

breaking glass

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2006, 3:58 am

I would like to place a glass on a table and have it smash remotely. Is there something on the market that does this?
thank you for any info!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: breaking glass

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 22nd, 2006, 8:00 am

A slingshot. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Amos McCormick

Postby Amos McCormick » May 22nd, 2006, 8:47 am

At one time Paul Gross at Hocus Pocus in Fresno sold a glass breaking apparatus as a mental magic effect. I don't remember much about it, but I seem to remember that there were two different versions for stage and parlor.

Give him a call at (800) 407-4040 and tell him I said "Hi".

Amos McCormick

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2006, 3:36 pm

There was a small gimmick made in Israel, I believe, held in the hand that works just fine with one very large caveat: you have to be extremely careful of the broken glass.

Glass-breaking brings up all sorts of problems, mainly safety and liability. Most of these things are spring-loaded and there's the problem. You would be amazed at the distance even a small, hand-held device will spread the broken pieces.

When I directed a friend's show I insisted on laying down a cloth cover for the stage. Even with it 10 feet square and him standing on one side, some glass scattered beyond the confines of the tarp.

Of course, common sense dictates that nothing is aimed at the audience, but if you're working with a table device you MUST be concerned about offstage personel who could be injured.

Your own liability insurance may or may not cover you. If it doesn't, be prepared to find out how expensive personal liability can get.

Amos McCormick

Postby Amos McCormick » May 22nd, 2006, 4:39 pm

Look at this link:

Glass Breaking Table

Is this what you are looking for?

Amos McCormick

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2006, 8:22 pm

The plexiglass case covering the real glass item seems to solve the problem of scattering glass particles around the stage. The other solution is to use the same substance as used in stage bottles for Cowboy Westerns (the kind you whack over someone's head). That's just basically a lollipop hard candy recipe using molds of whatever you're trying to duplicate. No one gets hurt from walking on broken candy (although you still have to watch out for your eyes!).

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » May 22nd, 2006, 9:22 pm

"Sugar Glass" hasn't been used in film for decades -- and for good reason. I forget the current material, but detailed instructions are in a volume of the "Propmakers' Handbook" series.

Best,

N.

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2006, 9:31 pm

What about a mousetrap?

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2006, 6:29 am

Originally posted by Amos McCormick:
At one time Paul Gross at Hocus Pocus in Fresno sold a glass breaking apparatus as a mental magic effect. I don't remember much about it, but I seem to remember that there were two different versions for stage and parlor.

Amos McCormick
I believe you might be referring to the "Electronic Crasher" Check out the video here: Crasher

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2006, 9:49 am

Originally posted by Latimer Bardens:
[b] At one time Paul Gross at Hocus Pocus in Fresno sold a glass breaking apparatus as a mental magic effect. I don't remember much about it, but I seem to remember that there were two different versions for stage and parlor.

Amos McCormick
I believe you might be referring to the "Electronic Crasher" Check out the video here: Crasher [/b]
Love the 'oh so natural' bike deck that clearly doesn't contain a gimmick.

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2006, 10:08 am

Originally posted by mrgoat:
...Love the 'oh so natural' bike deck that clearly doesn't contain a gimmick.
Oh come on, the guy made a point of saying "here we have an ordinary deck of cards", right?

Amos McCormick

Postby Amos McCormick » May 23rd, 2006, 11:47 am

I've never seen the "ordinary deck of cards" gimmick before. One of the things I remember at Hocus Pocus was a glass-breaking tray, I believe. The same company made a table for stage use.

Amos McCormick

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2006, 2:39 pm

I've never seen the "ordinary deck of cards" gimmick before. One of the things I remember at Hocus Pocus was a glass-breaking tray, I believe. The same company made a table for stage use.

Amos McCormick
Tray or table would be cool. The deck of cards just looks as dodgy as Dodgy McDodgy, the winner of last year's Very Dodgy competition*

*apologies to Blackadder fans...

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2006, 3:25 pm

Who was it that used to sing a note on a TV

commercial and break glass. Learn how to do that

and sing the magic words.......Mike :p

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2006, 8:59 pm

That would be the First Lady of Song, Miss Ella Fitzgerald. Is it live or is it Memorex?

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2006, 7:55 pm

There's youth for you! An old guy like me would say blindfold Kudabux and let him shoot it out for you!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2007, 11:29 am

Amos,

I know this going to come as a surprise to you but I am adding a new routine in which, when I look into the mirror, it breaks. The part you won't believe is that it won't do that without the gimmick!

(Perhaps proof that now even mirrors are blind!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Return to “Reference Room”