Credit help needed

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Jeff Pierce Magic

Credit help needed

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » May 13th, 2004, 5:58 pm

I am looking for credit info on the Christ/Annemann Alignment Move. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Pierce

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Credit help needed

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 13th, 2004, 6:38 pm

Vernon has taken credit for the sleight. I believe the story behind it is somewhere in The Vernon Chronicles.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2004, 8:18 pm

Vernon was given credit for this sleight as mentioned by Richard above. In The Vernon Chronicles Vol.2 in the "New Wine From Old Bottles" section, which is at the back of the book, the effect titled- Henry Christ's VANISH FOR THE COLLINS ACE TRICK, the Christ-Annemann/Vernon Alignment Move is described. This is what was written by Stephen Minch on page 230, third paragraph, last sentence:

"Now the Vernon alignment sleight (often associated with both Mr. Christ and Theodore Annemann) is performed:"

The description of the sleight follows in the next paragraph. According to Minch, it seems like the credit had been given to Christ and Annemann incorrectly. Minch made the correction in the write up. So, knowing that, does it belong to Vernon? Or does it belong to Christ and Annemann, which means that Minch was incorrect in his credit?

Richard, you were around Vernon weren't you? If you were, or any of you that were, could you shed some light on this one? I am curious to know.

Best,
Trini Montes

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 26th, 2004, 8:37 pm

I believe Vernon claimed that the sleight was his--this is the information that Minch was repeating.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 27th, 2004, 8:20 am

The last time I edited a book for Mr. Minch, he was calling it "the Alignment Move," telling me the history was too clouded to provide attribution.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2004, 8:40 am

Annemann originally published it (I believe) in The Jinx #2 (Nov. 1934).

I'm not aware of a publication of the move with Christ's name on it, but it is commonly also associated with him.

Minch provides a longer description of Vernon's claim of creating the move in Vernon Chronicles, Vol. 1 p. 154. Allegedly, Vernon created the move in 1933, after Thomas Edison criticized Vernon's original handling of "Card of Coincidence", which appeared in Further Inner Secrets of Card Magic. Vernon went home a reworked the routine and cameup with the alignment move, which also appeared in the description of "Cards of Coincidence".

Vernon's claim was that he came up with it first in 1933, but (IMO) 1933 isn't that far off from 1934 (Annemann's publication date). I'm not aware if Vernon claimed Annemann got the move from him, or if he just claimed coming up with it first. If it is the latter, I guess it could also be possible that Annemann had it in 1933 and didn't publish it till 1934. Complicated? Yes.

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » July 21st, 2004, 10:03 am

Hi Jeff,

I've found the folowing... hope this helps:

In Appocalupse 16-20 :

2230 Alignment Variation (Jeff Moche): variation of Christ-Annemann Alignment Move
------
in Darwin Ortiz At the Card Table
I guess page:
145 Dai Vernon's Alignment Move (First Handling)
153 Dai Vernon's Alignment Move (Second Handling)
------
also in Harry Lorayne's PERSONAL COLLECTION Page 85

cheers

Jacky
www.magie.be

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » July 21st, 2004, 6:26 pm

Thanks all.

Jeff

Return to “Reference Room”