What is this switch called?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Jason Wethington

What is this switch called?

Postby Jason Wethington » July 8th, 2003, 10:09 am

In "Spectacle" by Stephen Minch there is a Tommy Wonder effect called "Counterfeiter's Spellbound". On page 73, second paragraph a switch is described using a purse as a cover. No credit is given but it seems to me it is similiar in idea to the "Jinx Switch" and the switch David Williamson uses in his torn and restored transposition. I do not have the Williamson book and therefore do not know what credits if any are given there. Can someone please tell me what this switch is and a brief history of it?
Thank you in advance,
Jason Wethington

Re: What is this switch called?

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2003, 3:04 am

Hi Jason,

I don't have a source for the switch you mention, but I took another look at Williamson's "Torn and Restored Transposition". The only switch used in that effect is a top change and there is no purse (it is a card effect).

In Williamson's "Copper, Silver and Purse" (p. 21 of Williamson's Wonders) he uses his Striking Vanish to visibly change one coin into another.

Hope this helps narrow your search a bit!
Cheers,
Bob Mills
Back Palm Magic

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2003, 4:28 pm

Are you talking about the switch in Torn and Restored Transpo in which you use the deck as cover to switch torn pieces of card for a folded card?

Jason Wethington

Postby Jason Wethington » July 13th, 2003, 11:51 am

Hi guys,
Yes David that is the switch I am talking about.
I have since found the reference i needed. Thanks for all the help.
Jason

Return to “Reference Room”